Hot Rod Forum banner

Neutral Flywheel?

755 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  JJLT1 
#1 ·
Can anyone enlighten me on this flywheel. Its on a 2 piece main 350 chevy. You can see the weights by the bolt. Is this the right flywheel for this engine?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes, that's a correct flywheel. That minor weight you see is just the factory correction to achieve neutral balance when the flywheel was manufactured, like balancing a tire.

Actual external balance weighted flywheel/flexplates have a weight that is 1.5" - 3" long x 1" - 1.5" wide x .125" - .187" thick....one heck of a lot bigger than you are looking at.

#3 ·
All Chevrolet SB engines are internally balanced, except the 400 CI SB engine. The flywheels, flex plates and harmonic dampers are neutral balanced for internally balanced engines. You can change flywheels, dampers and flex plates without having to rebalance the engine.

#5 ·
Thanks guys I'm trying to track down a vibration that occurs in park, neutral, and on the highway at the 1700-2100 rpm. The convertor is a b&m 2k stall, does higher stall convertor contribute to vibration? The trans is a 700r4 with a few miles on it, also has no overrun clutches. I can drop it in 2nd on the highway and it goes to an idle.

I suppose next I will unbolt convertor and if it goes away I may try to index convertor one hole. I never noticed before I started using one solid and one rubber mount, I just don't want to give up my long tubes for the second rubber mount to fit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.