Hot Rod Forum banner

Neutral safety & Backup lites, 89 Chevy P/U

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  docvette 
#1 ·
I converted my son's 89 dropped Chevy P/U from stick shift to automatic. I installed automatic dash and steering column, but I haven't figured out how to hook up wires on automatic column to make Neutral safety and backup lites work. Anybody have wiring color code for this? 1989 Chevy 2wd 1/2 ton
short box pickup. Thanks!

#2 ·
Doc here, :pimp:

The Purple wire coming FROM the ignition switch will go to One center wiper of the switch..

The other side , Normally open (except in 2 spots, P & N) of that purple wire will go to the "S" terminal on the starter.

As for the Backup wires..

Isolate the second set of contacts on the switch..Thew power wire will go to the center wiper..

The Normally open side will go to the lamps..

Don't worry if you get the sets of contact backward..then it will only start in reverse..and you'll have BU lamps in park and Neutral..just swap them over..

You may have to cut and crimp the Purple wire , especially if you had a Manual transmission before (clutch over ride switch)

Doc :pimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.