neutral safety switch wiring ford column to 700R4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2007, 08:33 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

neutral safety switch wiring ford column to 700R4

I am trying to mate a column shifted, 75 t bird column shifter, I think?-key on column to a 700R4 (from a 2wd 89 suburban) going into my 49 F-1 Ford truck. The column outer casing has been modified by a po with a new outer shell. It still has the ignition shift rod going down the column to a switch mounted on the original inner column (tube). I hav a couple of questions as follows:

Was the neutral safety switch located on the 75 tbird/LTD column?

Where was it located?

Does the non electronic 700F4 have a neutral safety switch internal to the transmission that comes thru the plug leads into the trans?

I am also trying to dope out some of the "extra" leads on the column ignition switch and 3 pin plug exiting the column (what does it do?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2007, 09:46 AM
Last photo:

The 700R4 does NOT have an integral neutral safety switch. You must use one either with a column shifter or one mounted on a floor shifter.

Vince
Old 11-29-2007, 02:02 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for your reply. It turns out that a Ford transmission of the era of the column would have had a NSS mounted on the trans and the 700R4 as you indicated does not. With the Ford column and the chevy trans combo, there is no NSS. I just ordered one of the lokar switches since I am already using the lokar aluminum shift arm. Problem solved. Now I need to figure out what the 3 pin connector coming out of the t bird column is for. Anybody know what it might be? It is not signals or 4 way flashers. They all are in the c shaped connector.
Anybody got an idea? Did the 75-76 T bird have cruise control wire running in the column from a stalk in the column or in the steering wheel?
Old 11-29-2007, 04:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

NOT a exact answer to your question ... but I would JUNK the T-Bird column and get a GM van tilt column.

The T-Bird columns are not as user friendly as the GM ones and they are known to have a good bit of turn signal switch problems. Also the GM van columns have the P-R-N-D-L2-L1 indicator on the column. P-R-N-D-L3-L2-L1 shift indicator lenses are available are aftermarket

Old 11-29-2007, 06:51 PM
Last photo:

Deuce makes some very valid points.

Vince
Old 11-30-2007, 05:03 AM

Last photo:

Deuce,
Thanks for your reply. At this point I have gone a little too far with the T Bird column and have it pretty well worked out. I made new outer mast with an integral column drop, I have fabricated and got the shifter working smoothly and I am going to have a vinyl sign maker friend make a new PRNODLL on clear acetate to replace the original. I ordered the lokar NSS for the 700R4, I could have fabricated one but liked the rugged look of their switch and I am using their shft arm.
As I remember, you had previously helped me out with info on the Zips waterpump housing. That came out great. It put my mechaical fan essentually dead center in the radiator. I fabbed a stainless steel shroud for it. All in all I am happy with the result.
Your 3w is going to be fantastic! You must have taken a deep breath before putting the two AC (I assume) holes in the original 3W dash!
Old 11-30-2007, 06:18 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49willard
Deuce,
You must have taken a deep breath before putting the two AC (I assume) holes in the original 3W dash!
He he, I doubt it he probably has dozens of them sitting around his shop .

Vince
Old 12-01-2007, 05:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49willard
You must have taken a deep breath before putting the two AC (I assume) holes in the original 3W dash!
I did save the pieces ...
I started to buy a Brookville reproduction 3W dash ... but just could not bring myself to put ANY Brookville on the car. When someone asks me ( when it is finished and @ a show or cruise ) is that a Brookville ? I can say ... there's no BROOKVILLE on that car .

I saved the best 3W dash for later ... with original woodgrain still presentable ... I just could not cut it ...

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.