Hot Rod Forum banner

Never made versions

13K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  cm324 
#1 ·
Hi all, ever wish they made a convertible of this car? Or a pickup version of that vehicle? Well I have, and in May 2014 just recently began photochopping profile images of classic and modern vehicles into never-made versions out of my own curiosity before knowing others were doing similar.

Here's a few example images to start with from my collection of various production vehicles edited into never-made versions, that perhaps should have been.
C&C welcomed.

1967 Mercury Cougar edited into fastback version.

2006 Chevrolet HHR edited into a pickup version.

1970 Pontiac GTX edited into a Sport Wagon version.

2013 Ford F250 4dr SuperDuty pickup edited into 8-passenger COE version maintaining original bed and wheelbase

Got similar edits? Feel free to add your own "What if.." never made versions here in profiles, quarter-views, or digital renderings as long as it looks realistic. Please..no wheel-swapping aftermarket bodykit type images. Keep vehicles here limited to the premise of appearing as an additional version potentially produced alongside the original.

See less See more
#4 ·
Popular Hot Rodding magazine showed that same type Cougar turned Sportsroof photoshop about 4-5 years ago, in a pseudo-fastback/shoulda-built story.

They also had in progress shots of someone making that conversion using the repro '67-68 Fastback Mustang conversion kit that is currently available for Mustang coupes. The builder had it about 1/2 way done but I have never seen the finished pictures of it. Their rendering was Wimbledon White w/Dark Blue GT Mustang type stripes on it.

Man, that Ford COE is an ugly sucker. :pain:

Roof not quite long enough on the HHR conversion IMO, look at the side jump door line in body that is farther back than roof line. Extend roof and shorten box to get a extended cab/short box look.

Lots of mid-late 60's cars should have had 2-door wagon version IMO...Chevelle(which did in '64-65, but no later) and other A-body's, Fairlane/Torino, '66-67 Nova, Falcon, Maverick, Valiant/Duster/Dart.

Cool seeing what you've done, post up more

#9 ·
Popular Hot Rodding magazine showed that same type Cougar ...in a pseudo-fastback/shoulda-built story.

Man, that Ford COE is an ugly sucker. :pain:

Roof not quite long enough on the HHR conversion IMO, look at the side jump door line in body that is farther back than roof line. Extend roof and shorten box to get a extended cab/short box look.

Lots of mid-late 60's cars should have had 2-door wagon version IMO...Chevelle(which did in '64-65, but no later) and other A-body's, Fairlane/Torino, '66-67 Nova, Falcon, Maverick, Valiant/Duster/Dart.

Cool seeing what you've done, post up more
1- The Cougar - I added '69 Mustang rear window louvers and wing, but I hadn't seen anything like it before and had just wondered; why not...
2- Yeah, the COE is ugly but intended as utilitarian for carrying larger family with camper or trailer, or for larger work crew. I've always liked the older 50's cab-overs or "snub-nose" trucks and just wondered what it might look like with a modern truck. I may try a Dodge next with thier retro style hoodlines.
3- There is no third door intended on the HHR, the rear door jam line is still original and that third line is supposed to be the separation of the bed. ...And I actually have a '72 Duster Demon pickup / el camino version, but it's from a lesser quality original and I left it as such after altering the vehicle for direct comparison to the original image.
4- THANKS for the opinions, I really do appreciate them!!

A Pontiac GTX ,,LOL LOL ,It is a Plynouth GTX
Ooops!! D'oh...it won't let me correct it either. I had just posted an edited '70 GTO 2dr wagon on another site so I must've had Pontiac on the brain at the time.

Raise the super curious roof to be straight all the way back and you might have something. Right now Ford wouldn't be able to give that thing away.
Yeah, I had thought about that too to avoid the stair step look. On a profile chop of this COE idea I had made previous to this, I added a roof rack to fill in that passenger roof area in a bit better. This was only my second attempt at editing a quarter view image so direct proportions may be a bit off.

Thanks again everyone, sometimes the best way to learn is from peer critique.

#12 ·
I apologize for the mixup in labeling the earlier Plymouth GTX as a Pontiac... it's because I had just previously posted this one somewhere else; '71 Pontiac GTO 2dr Wagon edited from a 4dr wagon, and also an El Camino version. Photo quality is low but it worked for my intent at the time.

#15 ·
Here's a few other previous profile chops...

2012 Lincoln MKX edited into a pickup version.

2014 Toyota 4Runner edited into a 2-seater version with wheelbase shortened similar to Jeep CJ.

2015 Chevrolet Colorado pickup edited into a low profile version.

Thanks for looking!
C&C welcomed.

#17 ·
I am a complete dutz when it comes to photoshop, but I have always tried to imagine what the following would look like:

1963 Corvette Splt-window Coupe with a 1958 Chevy Impala roof vent, 1958 (or even 1959) Chevy rear end and taill light treatment and a 1960 Corvette front end and headlights.:cool:

Or howabout the 1963 Corvette except with 1968 Dodge Charger rear end/taillights and a 1957 Chevy hood with the '68 Dodge Charger grill and hidden headlights.:cool:

I just bought my wife a 2014 Cadilliac SRX (Ruby Red Metallic). Would love to see it as a pickup truck!!!!:rolleyes:

Tom

#28 ·
2014 Cadillac SRX Pickup - by request.

I just bought my wife a 2014 Cadilliac SRX (Ruby Red Metallic). Would love to see it as a pickup truck!!!!:rolleyes:
Tom
Here ya' go Tom,
I hope this is close to what you were thinking the SRX might look like as a pickup. The door and wheelbase was lengthened, but opinions in comments have varied on similar edits as to also extending the tail a bit more beyond the rear wheel for this type of car-truck combo styling similar to Australian 'ute' vehicles, so I left it short in this example.

Thanks for looking! :cool:

#24 ·
A few more profile chops

Here's a 2dr Sport Coupe concept version of a 1970 Plymouth GTX.

Here's a 1969 Shelby Mustang GT500 convertible edited into a hardtop coupe.
Roof was added from standard '69 Mustang..., because they never made it this way.

And here's a somewhat wilder "what if.." concept for the Plymouth Roadrunner Superbird or Dodge Daytona.
What if.. it was a cab-forward mid-engine design?

Thanks for looking!
C&C Welcomed

#26 ·
Jus my opinion...of the last 3-4 pics, only the Mustang looks decent, the rest look awful, all out of proportion...rear of car is too long on 'Runner and S-Bird, even too odd looking on the 50's Olds.

Now, take the Roadrunner back to original roof length/side window openings, and add the '67 Charger fastback rear roof to it, then you might have something.

Take a foot out of the wheelbase of the Olds, right in front of the rear tire,.... or 6" in front of rear tire and 6" behind it, and you might have something there also.

#34 ·
Mercedes is not bad, I would probably put the little triangular rear quarter window back in/ make the roof that much longer, most actual Mercedes convertibles still have this window. That would get the bottom of the back window out over the center of the rear tire, then the proportions will look better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.