new 110v lincoln power mig 140c - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2007, 08:24 PM
eat a beaver, save a tree

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

new 110v lincoln power mig 140c

I'm needing feedback on the new Lincoln welders. I'm wanting a Lincoln Power MIG 140c but can't find any reviews I'm wanting to do a frame notch on my car later next year & I'm looking for a good little welder. i think that would be all i need to get a good weld (no thicker than the frame is). i would get a 220, but i really don't have a place or outlet for a 220 welder. thats why i'm looking at the biggest 110v (120 volt I think)I can find.

I also want constant voltage, not a tapped voltage welder. that's another vote for the Lincoln 140c.

i like this one, but i figure it's cheap junk.
cheap welder

any feedback is appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2007, 09:03 PM

I just bought a 140c and so far it is a great little welder. I haven't used it on any thing over 16 guage yet.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:18 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

moving to garage-tools forum

Budget RVs
Old 10-18-2007, 05:39 AM

Last photo:

The 140c is a good choice but I would be extremely suspicious of the E-bay outfit. You may have been told, or will be told, not to attempt frame work with a 110 MIG but if you are willing to deal with that short duty cycle (common to all 110 MIGs regardless of brand) then you can weld that frame just fine. You will need to use a couple of tricks to make it work right because of the low power but this is not at all hard to do. Use .023 wire so you can make the most of the heat available and keep the duty cycle at a reasonable rating. If you try to use .035 wire you will have to run maximum power and still be borderline with the heat plus the duty cycle will drop so low it will be a hassle, in this case the .023 will work much better. You will also need to preheat the weld area to about 400 deg (just too hot to touch with your bare hand) because with that small wire and marginal current the cold frame metal will sink off the heat too fast and cause the weld bead to "chill" leading to poor fusion (penetration) and thermal shock to both the metal in the transition area and the weld bead itself which could cause cracking, don't skip this step it is important. I think you will like that little Lincoln and dollar for dollar they are about the best deal out there, parts and service can be found almost anywhere (unlike that E-bay outfit where parts and service can be found NOWHERE! Sometimes even consumable parts like replacement tips ) plus they weld really good and are very reliable.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:39 PM

Last photo:

The bad part about it is I weld for a living, but I rarely use anything this small. my welder at work is a three phase Miller MIG & it will do anything. We have a few Lincoln sp135 plus welders & they do all right, but I was hopping the new 140 machines would be better. With the sp135, if I weld anything thick I turn the heat wide open & the wire speed down to about half. they weld good like that & the 20% duty cycle we pretty much ignore, & I've never had one shut down from getting hot. we weld with solid wire, not the flux core wire.

I have though about the Lincoln power mig 180c as well. Would 40 amps be that much difference? I can get it for about $100 more dollars ($700.00 shipped).
Old 10-18-2007, 05:03 PM

Last photo:

On wire of .023 to .035 40 AMPs difference would be like night and day. Get the most welder you can because as has been said many times before you can always turn a big welder down but you can't turn a little welder up.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:08 PM

Last photo:

i'm thinking if the clarke welders too. clarke 180en for under $400.00. that's not bad. i'm not sure of the quality of the clarkes. i've never seen or used one. but for no more than i use one around the house, that might be the best choice. as long as their not junk.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:33 PM

Last photo:

I can't say much about the Clarke because I have not used one but I can say without reservation that the Lincoln is not junk! If you consider the Clark you might want to look for things like does it have a contactor for welding power or is the wire hot at all times? What about the duty cycle? The Lincoln might actually perform somewhat better than rated while some of the cheapos will not even come close to their rated cycle. Does the Clark have a constant power adjustment or just a few settings? What about arc stability at low settings for really thin stock like body panels? How about consistency of wire feed rate? There really is a difference and the Lincoln is a quality machine that will last a long time so it very well might be worth the extra money.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:24 PM

Last photo:

new 110v Licoln power MIG 140c

There's not much I could add to oldred's posting #4.

As someone who welds for a living you are not going to be satisfied with a 140 amp welder. At some point you will kick your self for not spending the money to buy something bigger.

I struggled with this question 2 years ago and decided to go with a 185 amp Hobart. It has done everything I've asked it to do without any problems. As far as Tips, wire, etc., they are as close as the nearest farm store. I prefer to run .030 wire. With it I can do chassis and body work both.

Youngster
Old 10-19-2007, 05:47 AM

Last photo:

The Lincoln should be fine. It's a well known brand. I have a HTP 140 amp, 120 volt MIG and love it.

A word of caution comming from an electrician. At 120 volts, you need double the amperage to do the same job. You absolutely must have a good circuit to tun it on. A regular 15 amp, 14 gauge circuit isn't going to cut it. You should have a dedicated circuit to run it wether it's 120 or 240 volt and the cost in materials is basically the same with the exception of the circuit breaker which will cost about $8 vs $4. You'll have all sorts of problems trying to run on a garden variety circuit!

My 120 volt welding circuit is on 10 gauge wire.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:18 PM

And don't use those bulk outlets with the push-in terminals on the back. Use a 20 amp rated outlet & screw terminals.
I hadn't run a bead before purchasing my Lincoln Pro 125 and after just a few practice sessions I was welding very nicely, thank you. May need a larger machine some day, but this does anything I've asked of it so far.. using .035 flux core. Lots of smoke and spatter, but does the job.
MrB
Old 10-19-2007, 04:41 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB
Lots of smoke and spatter, but does the job.MrB
MrB, If you like welding with the flux core you are in for a real treat when you try a MIG, that gas makes a big difference.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:46 PM

Last photo:

the guy that stocks our welder parts priced me a used Lincoln sp 135 plus today for $325 & $75 for a 40 lbs empty tank. it's his personal welder he has at his home. he said he might have put 2 hours on it. not a bad price, but i think i want a 220v welder. it's not that much higher if i buy a new machine.

does flux core wire burn hotter? i've noticed they say it will penetrate thicker metal. would it be better suited for welding on the frame? also would you trust it to weld brackets on the rear end to relocate the lower controle arms? i need to to be strong, a 406 sbc & 325/50-15's m/t tires will put a lot of stress on them comming off the line with a trans brake.

Last edited by 406 ss monte; 10-19-2007 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
MrB, If you like welding with the flux core you are in for a real treat when you try a MIG, that gas makes a big difference.
So I'm told. Next upgrade will be CO2, more than likely. Will my 125 do Aluminum (with Argon, of course)? I understand it needs to be heated.

Shouldn't have any problems with flux core on rear-end brackets. Just running a straight bead is my major problem. With all the smoke, it blocks the view so I can't see where I'm going. I know, I know.... use gas!
Old 10-19-2007, 05:39 PM

Last photo:

i am not disagreeing with anybody here, just adding a little info.

i bought a clarke last year and am happy with it, contact tips etc. are standard design and available everywhere-home depot, local welding store etc. i used a friends lincoln all the time before buying the clarke and the build quality on both machines are comparable. the clarke is NOT, NOT cheap chinese junk, it actually made in italy. summit is selling clarke welders now, i bought mine from an ebay store and got a killer deal. i give clarke a thumbs up--

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.