New 2 post lift by Dannmar. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2009, 03:23 PM
427HISS

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

New 2 post lift by Dannmar.

I've been searching lifts for a long time, for my small single garage, and what I've found was most were too tall for my 9' ceiling. I looked into the "Kwik Lift" and almost bought one until, I came across this two post lift made by Dunnmar. It has everything I want in a lift. I can mount it in my floor with threaded anchors and sence it's portable, it can be stored away until I need it next time. I'm sure I will leave it up and maybe, remove the pins in the arm's and just store them.

When I compared this against the Kwik Lift, there is so much more I can do with the two post, not having the ramps in the way, no need to buy 1 or 2 bridges and bottle jacks to get the car/truck up off the ramps to change wheels, brakes, suspension work ect...ect... Plus, I can store my 427 Cobra on the lift and still be able to walk under it. I've gotten very tired of laying on my back all the time, with this lift, I can stand up fairly straight, work on my knee's, on my *** or on my back.

I ordered mine yesterday and can't wait,......to get it here. I may even buy the motorcycle/ATV leg accessory for my toys, that would help a lot cause I hate trying to work under my quad, or lift my heavy bike up on my wooded box. With this lift, I can get both up in the air at a comfortable height for me.

For the cost vs the Kwik Lift, and being able to do so much more, it was a no brainier for me. (I got a special price too)

Here's one of the websites, check it out.

http://www.dannmar.com/products/two-...jax/index.html

Kevin

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2953190&s=5

Last edited by 427HISS; 01-14-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2009, 04:50 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Seems like a bunch of money for a lift that can't go high enough to stand under the car. The problem gets even worse if the lift has a car taller than the Vette used in the photos.

Bottom line, except for brakes and suspension work, you're still on your back on a creeper with rust from the exhaust falling in your eyes.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:12 PM
427HISS

Last photo:

I don't believe that's true. As much as the Kwik Lift cost's, so much more can be done with the two post, even if it does not lift to a extended height of 10' plus. Look at the time and trouble it takes to elevate the car on the Kwik Lift, to take off wheels. I like the Kwik Lift, it's a good product but, the two post makes more sence to me.

But like at all car shows I say,..., "to each it's own". We all have different needs & wants. Actually, both lifts would be great if I had enough room.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:30 PM

Kevin,

I too have been looking at this lift for over a month now. I agree, it looks very appealing. And for those who still don't get the distinctive benefits this lift offers, there's probably no sense in trying to explain.

As to the "Why not get a full lift" question". Believe it or not most of us do not live on 30-acre properties with detached garages, 9' ceilings, guest quarters and the "big house", creeks and pole barns. We live in the suburbs.

Why would I consider a two-post service lift that only has 48" of lifting height? First I only have 8' ceilings at best. Second, I like being able to stow away when not in use. Third, I could locate multiple sets of anchors thingys for a variety of locations. Fourth, I could sit down while working on my car. Not sure about you, but I wouldn't have to lay on a creeper with this lift. If you couldn't fit comfortably on a roller seat, you're probalby way to big to be driving anyway.

I think with the MaxJax, every thing I need to do underneath can be performed on a roller seat. The only problem I see is the ability to use an upright transmission jack. Wonder if they make some a little shorter. If not, I may have to resort to floor transmission jacks rather than upright.

Kevin, if you get one before me POST, POST, POST.

KN
Old 01-15-2009, 01:04 PM
427HISS

Last photo:

I believe in everything you've said. This lift was intended for the average height home garage, not a industriel size garage or a home shop that the ceilings was raised to accomadate the full size 2 or 4 post version lift.

With regards to the tranny jack, I know there made and will look into that. If not, looking at mine, I can easily cut the tubes down to suit my height needs.
I'll do the same with my oil change canister. MaxJax makes a nice short container too but, it's a bit expensive and I already have one anyway.

This oil container from Dannmar is nice but, the min. height is 48". You can either buy this one or go to Walmart and cut down the tube's like I will on the one I have.

http://www.dannmar.com/products/shop...O-8/index.html

Northern Tools- this one is 40" tall. (mim)

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_35146_35146

Tranny jack- Just as a example. It's height is only 24".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Auto...4506.m20.l1116

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Auto...1%7C240%3A1318

This is very nice but expensive, plus shipping. I'll look at local stores.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=220333048976

Anyway, we'll look for more.
Kev

Last edited by 427HISS; 01-15-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:12 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

Now I have not thought about this in close to 20 years.

I walked into a shop somewhere in upstate NY & there was a late 80 Full size Cadillac on this portable lift.
it as like those air bumper jacks but damn if it did not lift the whole car from about the passenger door 6'+ in the air.
I almost want to say it was a Snap ~On unit but my memory is not that great.

This was long before I ever heard of the Internet & digital pictures.

But so far this is as close as I have found.{pretty kewl I must add!}
http://www.eagleequip.com/page/EE/PROD/LI-ML/MCL-16

I have spent a lot of time looking for what I can't seem to find. I do remember thinking it was stable but I would be a bit uneasy working under something so small.

Does anyone know what the hell I am talking about?

R

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 01-15-2009, 03:09 PM
427HISS

Last photo:

lol,......welcome to computers & the www. hehe!
I bought my first computer in 2000' and have made a lot of mistakes but, I can get around pretty well now and I still, have a lot to learn.

You're doing very well.

Bendpak is a great company and have many great products but like you, I wouldn't feel safe.

I remember this type years ago mostly at tire stores and haven't see any since.

I thought more deeply about the Kwik Lift. I mentioned before about using bottle jacks on their bridge's, to gat 2 or all 4 wheels up in the air. The top plate of those jacks are what, 1"-2" in diameter, I can't even imagine trusting my life & my light weight 2,400 lb. Cobra, with these jacks supporting the car. I may be mistaking but, that scares me.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:52 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427HISS
The top plate of those jacks are what, 1"-2" in diameter, I can't even imagine trusting my life & my light weight 2,400 lb. Cobra, with these jacks supporting the car. I may be mistaking but, that scares me.
Well, the absolute lowest grade Chinesium steel has at least 30,000 psi compressive strength. That means that a 1" diameter post will support about 23.500 lbs by itself. Of course I'd be more worried about the seals under the piston in that jack!
Old 01-15-2009, 05:57 PM
427HISS

Last photo:

I agree with the seals too. I realize the strength of the steel, that's not the issue, it's the lack of surface area. Four big pads versus the small four bottle jack pads. Rocking a transmission back and forth on the bottle jacks,... scare me.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:19 PM

Last photo:

Any updates? Curious if you received it yet. I fall in the same category, connected 2 car garage, 9 foot ceilings but would like the ability to lift the car to work on suspension, brakes, oil changes and also underneath while sitting like you mentioned. Not sure how I would like the post in the way all the time, make sure the wife does not swing her car door without looking

What was the final cost if you do not mind me asking?
Old 01-24-2009, 07:37 AM
427HISS

Last photo:

I should get it in a few weeks. They just started production. The posts being in the way is no problem. Remove the bolts, tip back on the wheels and move them anywhere you want. That's one of the great things about this lift, totally portable. That will keep your better half happy !

If you email me, I think I can get you a deal. Let me know before Monday.

cobrakev@galaxycable.net

Thanks,
Kevin

Last edited by 427HISS; 01-24-2009 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:22 AM
boatbob2

lift.......

Hi,how bout posting a photo of this lift,with a car on it?
Old 01-24-2009, 09:47 AM
427HISS

Last photo:

Sure thing.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maxjax-repair-lift.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	35811   Click image for larger version

Name:	work-vehicle.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	35812  
Old 01-24-2009, 09:57 AM
427HISS

Last photo:

Old 01-24-2009, 01:30 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427HISS
I agree with the seals too. I realize the strength of the steel, that's not the issue, it's the lack of surface area. Four big pads versus the small four bottle jack pads. Rocking a transmission back and forth on the bottle jacks,... scare me.

Rocking a whole vehicle back and forth on the two small post bases scares me. Better make certain of the anchorage for a 2 post lift. How many lb-ft of torque can a vehicle at the top of the lift apply to those bases?

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.