Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - New 383
Thread: New 383
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 09:32 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

New 383

Hi ,I have installed a 383 crate motor and it is using a lot of oil.Engine is running 10:1 comp KB hypers,Edelbrock performer heads,street warrior dual plane ,1:5 roller rockers,670 Ultra street avenger,custom fitted 1 3/4" full length headers with X pipe,224/224@ .50 flat tappet cam,HEI dizzy.Trans is t/h 350 with stage two shift and 3000 Histall.Engine has new standard oil pump all other parts are new.Oil pressure seems to me to be to high 40 psi at idle and runs down the highway at about 60 psi(has new oil pressure gauge and sender unit).Has no oil leaks.Fitted Weiand alloy rocker covers and fitted a push in foam filled type off PCV valve.Drilled hole in the top of this and siliconed in a regular PCV valve .When disconnected from vaccum line and at high revs no oil vapour emitts from PCV valve.No blow by appears to emit from rocker cover when breather removed.Have breathers fitted to both rocker covers.Engine was run in with Penrite running in oil for twenty minutes then new Penrite 20/60 and oil filter fitted.After a further 500 miles oil changed to 20/50.Spark plugs have oil on threads yet no leaks from rocker covers.Engine pulls hard and blows no smoke at redline,also no smoke on startup or after ide.Using about 1 liter every 500 miles.Have now done about 2000 miles on motor.It is currently hot in Australia and am running a 160 degree t/stat which is maintained by alloy three core radiator ,at lights temp will nudge 190 but normally runs at about 160 new gauge and sender unit fitted.Exhaust pipe colour is medium to slightly darker grey.Plugs have oil filled threads and oily crud build up on end of thread near electrode .Using 98 octane fuel and apart from a cam lope at idle runs well.I am a little particular about my old Vette and am keen to track down this oil consumption any ideas appreciated Tim.