Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   New 383 (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/new-383-a-224787.html)

Timmk 10-07-2012 08:32 PM

New 383

Hi ,I have installed a 383 crate motor and it is using a lot of oil.Engine is running 10:1 comp KB hypers,Edelbrock performer heads,street warrior dual plane ,1:5 roller rockers,670 Ultra street avenger,custom fitted 1 3/4" full length headers with X pipe,224/224@ .50 flat tappet cam,HEI dizzy.Trans is t/h 350 with stage two shift and 3000 Histall.Engine has new standard oil pump all other parts are new.Oil pressure seems to me to be to high 40 psi at idle and runs down the highway at about 60 psi(has new oil pressure gauge and sender unit).Has no oil leaks.Fitted Weiand alloy rocker covers and fitted a push in foam filled type off PCV valve.Drilled hole in the top of this and siliconed in a regular PCV valve .When disconnected from vaccum line and at high revs no oil vapour emitts from PCV valve.No blow by appears to emit from rocker cover when breather removed.Have breathers fitted to both rocker covers.Engine was run in with Penrite running in oil for twenty minutes then new Penrite 20/60 and oil filter fitted.After a further 500 miles oil changed to 20/50.Spark plugs have oil on threads yet no leaks from rocker covers.Engine pulls hard and blows no smoke at redline,also no smoke on startup or after ide.Using about 1 liter every 500 miles.Have now done about 2000 miles on motor.It is currently hot in Australia and am running a 160 degree t/stat which is maintained by alloy three core radiator ,at lights temp will nudge 190 but normally runs at about 160 new gauge and sender unit fitted.Exhaust pipe colour is medium to slightly darker grey.Plugs have oil filled threads and oily crud build up on end of thread near electrode .Using 98 octane fuel and apart from a cam lope at idle runs well.I am a little particular about my old Vette and am keen to track down this oil consumption any ideas appreciated Tim.

vinniekq2 10-07-2012 08:50 PM

If its a crate motor,the builder should take care of you.Are you racing the car?not that it should matter,it should not use any or very little oil.

BOBCRMAN@aol.com 10-07-2012 09:34 PM

Sounds like you are pulling oil from the cam valley into the bottom side of the intake to head, gasket area.. Very common when using modified parts.. If the intake to head angle is off a few degrees, which is more common than you would think, you will get mysterious oil usage. Pull the intake manifold and you will find the top edge of the intake gasket is crushed more than the bottom edge. Oil enters the lower side into the intake port and passes thru the combustion process un noticed..

Also aftermkt valve covers are famous for poor pcv function and oil use.

Timmk 10-08-2012 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinniekq2 (Post 1597063)
If its a crate motor,the builder should take care of you.Are you racing the car?not that it should matter,it should not use any or very little oil.

Thanks for reply and no I am not racing car.The guy that supplied engine is proving a little hard to pin down.He is blaming Edelbrock and he states that he thinks that the brand new heads probably have poor seals.Unfortuneatly I think I am going to have to learn who to trust the hard way.The last thing I want is to pull engine out after it has been resprayed and tidied up.have you heard of new Edelbroch heads having problems.Tim

Timmk 10-08-2012 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com (Post 1597082)
Sounds like you are pulling oil from the cam valley into the bottom side of the intake to head, gasket area.. Very common when using modified parts.. If the intake to head angle is off a few degrees, which is more common than you would think, you will get mysterious oil usage. Pull the intake manifold and you will find the top edge of the intake gasket is crushed more than the bottom edge. Oil enters the lower side into the intake port and passes thru the combustion process un noticed..

Also aftermkt valve covers are famous for poor pcv function and oil use.

Thanks for reply.I have tried to use good quality parts but you never know these days(China).As I said heads are Edelbrock,manifold is Weaind and Alloy valve covers are Weiand.The manifold was supplied on motor.I am going to borrow a mates standard Corvette alloyrocker covers and see if that makes a difference before I start pulling things apart.The engine supplier is already trying to distance himself and saying that the Edelbrock heads(new)probably have poor seals which i find hard to believe.Seeing as it does not blow smoke I am hoping rings are okay what are your thoughts?I am not keen on removing motor as vehicle has been resprayed and tidied up thanks Tim:confused:

vinniekq2 10-08-2012 12:20 PM

Have you considered doing a leak down test on the engine?Have you done any full throttle passes through the gears yet?Have you taken off the valve covers and done a visual inspection? generally I have not heard a lot of complaints about the rpm heads,at least not quality of castings.They do not make a lot of power though. If the intake manifold is not sealing the the idle will start to deteriorate.Are any of the plugs fouling?

Timmk 10-08-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinniekq2 (Post 1597211)
Have you considered doing a leak down test on the engine?Have you done any full throttle passes through the gears yet?Have you taken off the valve covers and done a visual inspection? generally I have not heard a lot of complaints about the rpm heads,at least not quality of castings.They do not make a lot of power though. If the intake manifold is not sealing the the idle will start to deteriorate.Are any of the plugs fouling?

Hi thanks for reply.Yes i have taken motor to redline on a half dozen occasions.Plugs are not fouled as such just partly built up with a sticky black crud and oil on the plug threads.Yes have pulled of rockers several times and all looks okay.I suspect the rings may be the problem but that is my last option.Engine idles well just a little lopey due to cam.I am just starting to get pissed with supposed experts who take your money then leave you high and dry when they are at fault.It starting to look like I am going to have to pull motor out of a resprayed car and do the work myself.I am quite capable of doing this but listened to the all the crap about crate motors being a cheaper option.I payed $6830 for this oil burner which was advertised at 400 flywheel hp,what a lot of crap Tim

vinniekq2 10-08-2012 01:35 PM

I bought a crate motor because it was cheaper than I could buy the parts myself.The reputable people out there are very good. I would put some hard miles on the car and see if the rings are slow to seat and seal.If oil consumption is minimal then drive it.When it gets 10k on the engine something will improve or get worse? Then,,,, take out the engine and do a true blue print hand assemble. then again,it might be something little that shows up after a few passes.

something to consider in the future is an engine vacuum pump and different oil.
how many quarts/litres of oil does the pan hold,how many quarts do you run. ( I have an 8 Qt pan and I run 7 qts)