Hot Rod Forum banner

New 434 SBC Build

10K views 39 replies 5 participants last post by  Huggins137 
#1 ·
Wanting to know if anyone has built a big cubic inch SBC? My dad hasn't purchased any parts yet, wanting opinions on the build and if anyone thinks we should change something?

Dart iron eagle tall deck(9.325) Raised cam and BBC cam journals
Used Dart 15 Degree Heads
Edelbrock Glidden Intake
Callies magnum 4 inch stroke crank
Callies Ultra 6.200 Inch Rods
Diamond Custom Pistons
Either 4.125 or 4.155 inch bore
Custom Cam from Bullet or Comp
Morel Bushed Roller Lifters 0.904
13.5:1 Compression
110 Octane Fuel
The motor will be wet sump oiling
not sure on carb size yet was thinking around 1050 or 1150 Dominator

My dad was also wondering how reliable this setup would be? It is going in a deep pit mud bog truck probably get run around 15-20 times for points deep pit mud bogs and then 3-4 all day mud bogging events

thanks very much for all the info

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks CNC Blocks, we were thinking about upgrading it to the 50mm cam journals, how much would a dart iron eagle block with a 9.325 inch deck height, 55mm cam, 0.904 lifters and the DRCE oiling be? also which main size would you recommend 350 or 400 mains?

#5 ·
Going to the 50MM cam is only about .021 bigger then the BBC cam core.

The 50MM roller cam bearing and the 55MM babbit bearing share the same housing bores.

Block all machined is 2945.00

Drce-3 oiling is no charge

Cam tunnel up grade is 450.00

Lifter bore up grade is 275.00

If your using a 4.0 stroke the 350 mains would be fine any more stroke step up to the 400 mains.

I had Durabond make me some 55MM babbit cam bearings with one oil hole VS bearings with 3 oil holss to much bleed off. The are out being coated and I should have them in a week or so.

How much stroke and cubic inch would depend on how much the heads would support.

#13 ·
The heads and components are used, they come with jesel pro shaft rockers, all titanium valves, pac triple rate spring, edelbrock glidden intake and the arp head studs

Yeah wanting to turn the motor to around 7500-8000 rpm hoping for around 800+hp

It's going in a mud truck, which is a 1952 Willys jeep with 44 inch boggers 1 ton chevy frame, Dana 61 front and GM eaton rear with 5:38 gears, built turbo 400 and 205 transfer case, it used to have a 600hp 383 but it came apart earlier this year, so completely redoing the mud truck this year and my dad is wanting a powerful SBC to put in it

#14 ·
the head flow numbers you posted are good for more than 800 hp so you are well on your way.good luck and have fun with that.

Back in the 70s our shop had a willies with a 283,it had 5.13s/5.38s and it was fun back then.with real horse power your truck will be a handfull.

#23 ·
Okay thanks, i think for the rotating assembly we are gonna go though CNC Motorsports with a 4 inch stroke Callies Magnum crank with 400 mains, then Callies ultra 6.200 rods, and diamond custom pistons for 13.5:1 compression for 110 octane fuel

I have heard people have some distributor issues with using the dart iron eagle tall deck block has anyone ran into that problem?

#26 ·
We decided on the 4 inch stroke crank to help reduce the piston speed, and the tall deck so we could put a longer rod in to to help out with the rod/stroke ratio, and also incase we decide to build a different setup we won't have to buy another block for the build, we have looked into the crank trigger ignition but our buddy has one on his mud truck and had a lot of problems with it because it gets covered with mud and water

#31 ·
a distributor is still used a LOT, so it is quite "useable" but it is not quite as tunable and clear- as you already know.

At the level of your build though I would think a ignition system that was better than what is commonly used on $1500 load street toys would be anticipated.

That being said, many of my street toys run a distributor. :rolleyes:

#38 ·
That's the same pump we used in my dads old 383 stroker, had wonderful luck with it

Okay thinking about either a 440 cubic inches using the 4.125 inch stroke and 4.125 inch bore or a 427 cubic inches 4.125 inch bore and 4 inch stroke, wanting to keep the 4.125 inch bore incase something happens and it needs bored, thinking about the 440 setup because I think it would be more reliable

Been looking at two companies to get complete rotating assemblies from either CNC motorsports or Competition Products, both recommended Callies magnum cranks, Oliver rods or callies ultra rods, and diamond pistons

Hopefully get the heads, intake around the end of this month, the guy that is selling them said BES racing is checking them over now

I know a special oil pump shaft is required with the raised cam but does the oil pump rod need to be machined down to fit correctly when using the 400 main journals? Because on factory GM 400 block the oil pump rod is a smaller diameter than the 350 blocks thanks

#39 ·
I can get you a price on anything as I am W/D & master W/D with all companies out there.

The oil pump shaft is longer actually is one for a BBC and it may need to be machined down.

With that much block go with the 440 CID as long as you have enough cylinder head.

Go with the Drce-3 oiling and a 55MM cam tunnel and and minimum .904 lifters.

Callies Magnum crank and Ultra rods are a very dependable set up.

Look over this link scroll though the pics as there is a Iron Eagle block there i was machining yesterday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.