Is a New 65,000 Volt coil HEI DISTRIBUTOR for BBC WORTH IT? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2007, 02:24 PM
my alter ego

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY...QQcmdZViewItem

that has the stock style cap and doesn't look as good as the ones I bought. I mean they look the same but on close inspection these look better and they have the good 65k coil, also cheaper....

http://www.hotroddersauctions.com/65...-QQitem-102106

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2007, 05:37 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

First and foremost...... Rick said it all...... He has experience with them. Listen to him.

Second, you can't tell anything at all about those distributor caps from that picture.

The #1 most important thing about a cap is the ridges inside the cap between the terminals.

Spark misfire travels along the surface of the plastic, and the ridges make it twice as far between the terminals. Cheap caps have less or no ridges.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:53 PM
Malibu Nut

I have a ProComp distributor in my '78 Malibu 355 eng and my dad has one in his '80 Malibu 350 both engine are built and run in the 8's in a 1/8th...and we haven't had any probs with these distributors we have even bought a couple for some guys we work for an they all work absolutely perfect great performers. My opinion when you pay big money you buy the name not the product...we have bought several name brand things it perform like junk and used cheaper products and had great luck with them.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:12 PM
my alter ego

Last photo:

That's the cheap one, yes it had directions along with a lot of other stuff the ebay guy said they don't have. I just don't like misleading ads like his, I also like the best product per $.
MSD has it's time and place, a 12 second ride is just not really in the need for it when a $50 dizzy will do the same thing.

And if some say this cuts into MSD's pocket, well it probably does. and I'm not against it in this case b/c this is basically an GM HEI, not an MSD copy.

and look at the PP intakes. I bet you talk bad about them too. In my opinion the edelbrock I just bought, wish it was a professional products after closer examination. getting off topic, edelbrock vs PP, well then how do you feel about Holley vs Demon? if Demon was $75 a carb instead of $500 would that change ur mind??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000dizzy 002.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	18661  
Old 02-18-2007, 09:35 PM

They are the Procomps J.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:08 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Rick. I know there are a lot of "look a likes" out there.

If mine dies, i'll be the first to raise a stink for sure.

We all need to keep in mind that these are fairly new on the market and only time will tell if they hold up or not.

Mark
Old 02-19-2007, 06:36 PM

i have to agree the american made stuff has went to crap. they factor in the failure rate on everything made in american. atleast the foriegn stuff is just built cheap not built to break. everyone said PP intakes suck but they outflow edelbrocks and are half the price. everyone said they don't fit but mine went on without a problem at all. blows me away that the average honda or toyota runs for 250,000 miles and the average ford/chevy/dodge is lucky to make it 150,000 miles. its why toyota is about to kick GM out of the #1 spot. people remember all those cars they bought back in late 70's thru the early 90's that would crap out in no time from the big three. i say buy what works and heck with all that "buy american" crap. if those "building american" gave a rats butt about you they would build a better product for you to buy not something that breaks 2 months after the warranty wears out so they can sell you another one. spend your cash where ya want but i say foriegn doesn't always mean bad. as for the jobs all going to foriegn sorces blame the unions. i wonder how things will be once the minimum wage jumps up to 7.25 an hour. should be interesting to watch.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:28 PM
*** Please post solutions ***

Last photo:

Has anyone tested these distributors... can I spin it out to 7000+???

I figure to turn 6800 in a 350 chevy.

Thanx in advance

-=Fred=-
Old 09-22-2008, 03:41 PM

Last photo:

I bought a cheapo billet no frills dizzy off ebay for less than $50 not long ago. Entire dizzy with high V coil, weights, vac advance, cap rotor etc.

I took it apart and used only the guts (shaft, gear, rotor and cap). I didnt use the weights, locked out the advance, and disabled vac, used my MSD coil and MSD6A and timing computer. Ive run it to over 6000 a few times with no problems and my timing is dead on. So far. Its in my street 383 Stroker. I've never removed the inner shaft from a dizzy housing so I dont know if there are bearings in there??? Something in there allows rotation.

I keep wondering when this cheap thing is going to explode but let me say this: Compared to my stock GM dizzy which I replaced many years ago, this thing is FAR FAR better in quality. I hate to say it but I think the days of american "cast metal into a mold" are gone. Somehow they're able to produce some pretty good quality stuff overseas for real cheap.

The cap and rotor plastic are better than my original 86GM setup, the HEI stuff inside looked good enough, the lower gear seemed pretty good except that it had rounded corners are opposed to flat edges that my old dizzy had. The coil, Im sure, is truly high voltage as it states. Its just simple wire winding.

Granted, Im using MSD to do all the timing but the thing spins good so far.

One other thing I did notice was that the ADVANCE mechanism does not advance as far as my stock 86GM did. The original part had a longer travel for mechanical advance due to the mechanism. The new dizzy had a visibly shorter travel but since I removed it anyway I have no idea what limitations it had.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:22 PM

Last photo:

I'm running one of the 65K units off ebay and it is good for street driving in my 71 GMC 3/4 ton but I don't know about how it would be for racing.
So far so good as far as daily driving 60 miles a day and I just finished two 400 mile trips with it.

I have about 10 K on it now and will have to wait and see how it holds up.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.