New, About to purchase a compressor, Advice - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2009, 10:00 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

New, About to purchase a compressor, Advice

Hey guys, I think i registered on here some time back and even posted some but I totally forgot any username let alone password so I made a new one

Ive been working on cars for years now, 25 years old, and would love to have a career based around cars. Well see how that goes down.

Anyhow, I just bought my own house out here in Socal and I can finally have my dream garage I've been thinking about for so many years. I will make sure to post some pics up once I have it finished in 2 months or so.

Anyhow I wanted to run my compressor choices past you guys to get some of your opinions. I've done allot of reading on this forum and I have experience with trying to paint cars with a 30 gallong compressor and a decently low cfm rating. It's tuff! and you can definitely tell at your end of the paint gun when your compressor has run out of air and is running to try and keep up haha!

This time I'm not taking any chances, since my friend and I are going to be doing full on car restorations.

THe intended use of this thing will be 2 guys working at the same time, probably both using DA sanders at the same time, painting 1 car at a time, running a blast cabinet, air ratchets and cutoffs. I've converted all my tools over to air tools. I am most worried about the 2 DA sanders @ once because I know the use allot of air.

I have 2 compressors that I have narrowed it down to, both Eaton. Its either going to be the 10HP 80 Gallon Unit, or the 15HP 120 Galllon Unit. Both single phase power.

The 80 Gall puts out 34CFM @ 175PSI
The 120 Gall says 35CFM @ 175PSI.

Here is the 120 Gallon. I am also getting that air dryer with it as well.

http://www.eatoncompressor.com/catal...47/6484913.htm

I dont really know which one is better. Space isnt really much of a concern. I just want to make sure I am not struggling for air at all. Since the 120 Gallon option is only 280 dollars more, its not much of a sacrifice for me and I will make it if it is going to deliver THAT much more performance.

Thanks guys! I cant wait to start posting some of our projects! We are restoring a 69 UK mini my friend has and were doing full treatment including roll cage (I'm tigging it) and possibly a turbo.

I ride bikes so ill be builing an customizing an older Honda

B

B

Advertisement

Last edited by Petree Dish; 04-11-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2009, 10:40 AM

Last photo:

Please go to the lounge and read the thread about Eaton compressors. If you still feel comfortable doing business with a person of that integrity (or lack of ) then the Eaton probably will do a decent job for you. For a long time I recommended Eaton compressors because of their reputation for dependability and performance at a good price but after seeing what kind of person is running the place I would never buy from them nor recommend them to anyone else.

Eaton Compressor threatens to sue me over "Made in China" compressor post

The Eaton is a good unit for a Chinese import and will usually perform as well as the company claims which is rare for an imported compressor. IMO you would do well to go with a Quincy instead because they are an old established American company who still builds them here and they now have some units priced competitively with some of the better imports. I used Quincy compressors for well over 30 years and IMO nothing beats them for performance and durability, the Quincy pump I have now was built in 1968 and is still running strong after all these years with only regular maintenance!

Compare this to the China import Eaton!

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...0475_200350475

Made in USA and it has a 21 AMP Baldor industrial motor

Need something a little bigger?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...0476_200350476

That's a 28 AMP Baldor industrial motor and all of these compressors are rated at 100% duty cycle. If you need even bigger they build right on up to heavy industrial compressors but whichever you choose you can't go wrong with a Quincy!

OK I just checked out the Eaton you had in mind so how about this,

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...1023_200351023

Or maybe this,

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...0479_200350479

Did you notice off to the left in the product description column they still say "made in USA" but now they have a question mark?

Are they trying to mislead you? You be the judge but even by their own admission the Eaton compressors are ASSEMBLED in the USA with Chinese import pumps and other parts.

Last edited by oldred; 04-11-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:52 AM

snap! i will have to go and read that thread!
Old 04-11-2009, 12:09 PM
boatbob2

Compressors......

hi,regardless whichever compressor you choose,do yourself a favor,and put it out back of your garage in an insulated small building,listening to a compressor run all day is no fun,and youre ears will thank you for the lack of noise.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbob2
hi,regardless whichever compressor you choose,do yourself a favor,and put it out back of your garage in an insulated small building,listening to a compressor run all day is no fun,and youre ears will thank you for the lack of noise.

Words of wisdom!
Old 04-11-2009, 12:37 PM

Last photo:

Can your shop handle the start amp load? The Eaton 10 and 15 HP in single phase will have high in rush amp when starting. Northern motor states 50 amp
for starting, probably higher.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:56 PM

Thanks guys.

I don't really know what to make of that whole compressor issue. I've read through both threads and I am torn at this time. I agree that Matt Cain handled the situation incorrectly. He should have come on here and presented a coherent and respectful thread addressing that which was being discussed.

Personally I cannot place much creed in either of the threads merely because 98% of the comments are simply that, comments and opinions. Nobody chimed in procuring pictures or reliable information of their Eaton compressors either functioning perfectly or breaking. There are good points being made on both sides of the fence but very difficult to discern between all the mud slinging. Reviews are what I value. Eaton may choose to do business the way the please and even though MC may have handled this issue in a questionable manner, that in turn tells me nothing about whether or not his products will do what I need them to do.

Ultimately what I want to do is work on my projects and whether or not a compressor will last me 30 years is not too important. I have a good job, a good education (UCLA) and if the compressor lasts me 10 years and does its job by providing me the necessary CFM's I require, then I am fine with that. I think i will be able to afford 5-10 years from now to spend another 5k on compressor equipment if need be. Who knows where we will be that far down the road concerning technology anyhow. Right now I am stretching to afford the equipment and simply want to get a good value for what I do have. Of course then I guess I should probably buy used right... But used equipment will not carry a warranty at all, let alone 5 years.

Anyhow, regarding running the compressor outside my garage. All the sanding, painting and other loud tools will be ran outside my garage in the side yard, so the sound shouldn't be too much of an issue should it? I wont be in the garage when its running. Additionally with that large a compressor I hope it wouldn't be running too much should it? I don't plan to run a body shop outside possibly doing some side work to earn some additional cash. All this is more of a hobby for me and my friend and we are hoping to develop our skills at building things.

Thanks guys and I hope you will all still love me if i buy an Eaton :\

B

Last edited by Petree Dish; 04-11-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930dreamer
Can your shop handle the start amp load? The Eaton 10 and 15 HP in single phase will have high in rush amp when starting. Northern motor states 50 amp
for starting, probably higher.
I subpaneled off my my main panel into my garage and that is what my garage is running off. I hope it all works or else i will need to upgrade my service. Right now I have a 60A breaker where the compressor is and a 40A breaker where my welder is. I think it should be able to handle a 50A startup.

B
Old 04-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Last photo:

Hope your not near any neighbors, in SoCal they can sentence you to life at hard labor for doing body work outside.

Vince
Old 04-11-2009, 04:49 PM

life @ hard labor? what is this???

i do have neighbors but i doubt they will be able to tell what I am doing.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:50 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

PD, I can not imagine needing a 10 HP compressor unless you are in a business with 10 or more work stations using high demand air tools. For the past 15 years or so, my bud and I have been operating with a 5 HP Campbell Hausfield, 80 gallon tank. While it struggled during sandblasting operations, it never was lacking for air for air files, die grinders, air drills, air ratchets, air impact tools, in line sanders, air hammers as well as handling a paint booth. I now have a 7.5 hp, T-30 compressor with an 80 gallon tank. It takes 2.5 minutes to go from 0 pressure in the tank to 175 PSI. We can be running several air tools at the same time and it only takes a few seconds to bring the tank pressure back to 175. Don't care what kind of PR the manufacturer pumps out, the bigger the motor and pump, the more energy it takes to operate it.

As a guide, look at your air consumption of all your air tools you plan to use. ie, my el cheapo die grinders use around 10 cfm at 90 PSI, their recommended operating pressure. My in line sander is about the same. My air drills are around 8 CFM as well at the air ratchets and impact wrenches. Even if I were using more than one of these continueously, then I will never run out of air. Obviously, there would have to be others in my shop operating air tools. Another food for thought, I paint with a 1.5 HP oil-less compressor because I don't need to be running the "Big Hummer" for such low demand.

Trees
Old 04-11-2009, 06:56 PM

Thanks Trees! that was VERY helpful and exactly what I was looking for

I will do some thinking about what compressor I need and the demands it will be facing.

The T-30 is made by IR right???

anyhow I really appreciate your comments, as with everyone elses!

B
Old 04-12-2009, 06:54 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Yes, the T-30 is the IR designation for the compressor. It is used on a 5 HP version as well as the 7.5. IR offers motors that use 230 single phase, 230 three phase and 440. Go to ingersolrand.com and you can look at what they have to offer.

Trees
Old 04-12-2009, 09:25 AM

Last photo:

Rather than getting a 10 or 15 hp piston compressor I would look at a 5 or 7.5 hp rotary screw if I needed that much air. They are designed to run all day & will last a few lifetimes doing it. Imagine they would save you a chunk of change in electric costs per year over the larger piston machines as well as not requiring garden hose size wires to hook it up.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:35 AM

Last photo:

Steve has a very valid point there, even though the rotary compressors can be a bit pricey at first the power savings can add up quickly if you use a lot of air. Rotary compressors are just so much more efficient that you can use about half the horsepower to produce the same amount of air as a piston compressor, well maybe not quite half the power but close. There are of course more advantages to a rotary compressor than just power savings and once you get used to using one you will never want a piston compressor again!

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.