New Age, Kilbourne, Gibbons, Wescott - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2003, 12:28 PM
something droll and pithy

Wiki Edits: 0

New Age, Kilbourne, Gibbons, Wescott

I'm beginning a '32 roadster project, and am in the research phase, trying to find a rolling chassis / body combo (fiberglass).

This site has been a tremendous source for information so far. I am close to ruling out Heritage A and F and Koorey based on information I have read so far.

I have been unable to find any real feedback here on Miller, New Age Motorsports, Wescott, or Gibbons. I'm getting the feeling that I'll get what I pay for...

I'll be attending the Goodguys Dallas show tomorrow, and a run called "Key to the Hills" here in Central Texas next weekend.

If anyone has + or - comments about the above companies, (or others), I'd like to hear them. I'm hoping to keep the rolling chassis / body combo under 11k.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2003, 01:17 PM

Last photo:

glass bodies

i highly recommend Wescotts and or Gibbons from personal experience with their products. i have a Gibbons car now & 2 friend's have Wescotts, well made cars. the others i have no info or experience on. good luck.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:20 PM
ASE Master

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Also, Outlaw makes the body and chassis kit. Nice kits. One of the nicest bodies I've seen is the Minotti, think they are in Florida. Good luck lots of decisions and $$$.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:28 PM
Last photo:

I'm waiting on a Gibbon 34 right now, expect it next week or the next. Gibbon does not advertise in the mags, he travels around to shows and relies on word of mouth to sell his products. Must be working pretty good, the manufactures number of my car is 2146.

Vince
Old 10-04-2003, 08:52 PM
Old Salt

Last photo:

Outlaw Performance is in PA. www.outlawrods.com
Take a look, I have a 34 Chevy ordered and they are great to work with. My chassis is coming with Shockwaves and the works.
Dutch
Old 10-05-2003, 07:48 AM

Thanks for the input.

I can't find a Web site for Minotti, but found their phone#. I'll call them this week. Do you know of a site?

The Outlaw site doesn't show that they produce a 1932 roadster body. I see a coupe, and a '33 body, but not exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm hearing more and more good things about Gibbon's.

I don't mind the wait, or paying for quality, I just don't want to pay lots of $$$ for just for a name.

I met up with the Miller folks in Dallas this weekend. The bodies looked OK, but I saw a pretty large crack on the underside of one of the roadster bodies. Also, that same roadster was leaking oil pretty bad. Not a real big deal, but if they aren't picky about that, how picky will they be about the work they do on my body?

I'm not after a show quality rod my first time around, but I don't want my first experience to be a major headache either.

They said to call the shop this week and they'd give me some customer references. I'll see what they say.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:10 AM
Last photo:

Just a word on when you view a vendors body at a show. A lot of people make a big deal about how good the body looks, how the gel coat almost looks like paint. While this is a good indication of the straightness of the body, that is about it. The first thing you will do when you start to finish the body is scratch that shiney gel coat up with 60 or 80 grit DA paper in order to get primer to stick properly.

All the leading names in bodies, Gibbon, Redneck, Outlaw, and Minotti have excellent reputations in this industry. They are all expensive, but IMO in this area you get what you pay for.

Vince
Old 10-05-2003, 09:34 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Vince is right about the gelcoat. Another thing to consider is that the bodies that you see at a show are just that, show. They will pick the best that they can find for that show. If you see problems in that you can immagine what you would find in yours that they aren't so picky about. Remember, "they show the best, and sell the rest".

Just my opinion.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:08 AM

What about Ravon body / chassis combos for '32 roadsters? Has anyone heard anything or had experience with them?

I'm spreadsheeting myself to death today, being Mr. Research (for some twisted reason, this part of an overall project seems to be enjoyable - I'm not sure what I should be when I grow up, and I'm 32).

Anyway, using Miller, my "total" (it is kind of a point - in - time total I'm using to try to compare apples to apples) comes to $17,000, Ravon is coming in at $20,000, while packages like Street Rods by Michael, Hot Rod Superstore (American Street Rod Designs body) come in about $22,000.

I think Wescott is out of my league. I talked to some guys from SoCal during the weekend, and they told me to expect to have $35,000 to $40,000 wrapped up in parts. I don't think they understand I'm not building a show piece, but a low-buck, first-time neighborhood blaster.

If I went with Ravon, my spreadsheets are telling me I can start taking my wife to the ice cream shop for right around $20,000.

OK, I haven't included exhaust, fluids, or shipping/tax yet.

So anyway, anybody have info on Ravon?
Old 10-05-2003, 11:29 AM
Last photo:

Just a gauge for you. I am not building a show car either, but I do want it to look nice. My rolling package from Gibbon is going to run me $21,000, plus shipping. I payed $4300 for a crate Fastburn engine, $750 for a performance built 700R4. As you can see, it doesn't take very long at all to approach $40,000 when you consider I have yet to do paint, interior, electrical, exhaust, shifter, e brake, and air conditioning. The $35K to $40K estimate you were give is right on the money, mayby even a little conservative.

Vince
Old 10-05-2003, 11:56 AM

Here is what I have so far (a $- means included in above, if I have a blank, it haven't put anything there yet):

Rolling package $13,000.00 Ravon
Delivery $400.00
Complete frame $- Ravon
Comlete front suspension $- Ravon
Front Disc brakes $- Ravon
Complete rear suspension $- Ravon
Rear axle (no 3rd member, no brakes) $- Ravon
Body with steel and wood $- Ravon
Bobbed rear and roll pan? ? Ravon

Exterior Body $-
Radiator Grill $- Ravon
Hood $- Ravon
Windshield frame $- Ravon
Windshield posts $- Ravon
Windshield glass $- Ravon
Paint $500.00
Grill Shell $- Ravon

Exterior Lighting
Headlights $65.00 Speedway
Taillights $60.00 Speedway

Steering
Steering linkage $-
Steering box $- Ravon
Steering wheel $50.00
Steering column $250.00

Brakes
Brake lines $- Ravon
Master Cylinder $- Ravon
P valve $35.00
Rear brakes $- Ravon

Electrical / Gauges
Wiring harness $200.00
Gauges $200.00

Interior
Upholstery and carpeting $800.00
Pedal assembly

Drivetrain
Transmission - 700r4 $500.00 ebay
Engine 383 long block $1,700.00 Quality Engine Exchange - Austin
Int. Manifold $120.00 ebay
Carb $180.00 ebay
Ignition, coil, distributor $300.00 Mallory
Driveshaft $165.00 www.driveshaftshop.com/STREETROD.ivnu
3rd Member $250.00 mcguill
Radiator $300.00
Headers
Exhaust piping
Gas tank

Wheels and tires
Tires $516.00
Wheels $460.00

Total $20,051.00
Old 10-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

You get what you pay for........

Wescott and Gibbons are the best 32 roadsters in fiberglass.........in that order IMHO. Some of the others have good coupes or other stuff but the Wescott and Gibbons are the most accurate and highest quaility.

The Wescott is almost undetectable (when painted) that it is not a original 32 Ford body from Henry Ford. That is strong words from a man who has owned a steel, original Deuce Roadster for 25 years (ME).

This is a photo of my 32 at the GoodGuys show in Charlotte last fall. It was taken in line on the way to the awards program ( Best Traditional).

Gibbons are also nice...especially when you but the frame from them. They build your body on the frame.......eliminating stress cracks and fit problems.

Gibbons is just down I20 from my home. Been there many times with friends.

The Wescott has stock latches, seat risers, cowl vent and a firewall that looks like a 32 firewall. Wescott also has the wooden tack strip around the rear of the passenger area. Wescott has been in the fiberglass business longer than ANY of the rest....

I would suggest buying the BEST body you can.......whats $2500 or $3000 dollars down the road when you end up with a second rate body and vehicle?

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 10-05-2003, 06:20 PM

I'm certainly not arguing the "get what you pay for" point.

Right now I'm trying to decide how much 'style accuracy' I want to pay for. This won't be my last project of this sort, the wife is already picking out the kind of car she wants me to build next. Deuce Roadster, the style of your ride is the kind she likes. She saw one with a white folding soft top and thought it looked "Rich". I'd like to get my feet wet with an inexpensive first project. Think primer and no chrome. I guess Rat Rod is the term, I'm not sure.

If a mfg. has quality construction, good refernces, and a good finish, I might be willing to sacrifice correct details for $.

302/z28, looking at http://www.hotrodssuperstore.com/32fordroadster.html, I notice that the Gibbon body I'm interested in goes for $5,590. What else came with your rolling package that took it to 21K? Was the engine/tranny included?

I really, really appreciate everyone's time and help on this matter!
Old 10-05-2003, 07:26 PM
Last photo:

McDeuce

The term for the primer and no chrome rod you want to build is a "nostalgia rod". They are very popular in my area.

My rolling package consist of the following. The list is pretty long

Body:
Gibbon 34 3 window Coupe
2" chop
Full fendered w/inner fender panels
doors hinged and locking handles installed
Trunk hinged and handles installed
Power windows w/tinted glass in the doors
Walker radiator, support rods and brackets
34 grill shell with stainless insert
Rootlieb 4 piece hood w/stock side louvers
Steel cowl brace
Rear package tray w/rear window box
rear window glass
Dual electric wipers installed
Polypropylene gas tank installed
Chrome front window frame

Frame
New reproduction frame by "The Rod Shop".
9" Ford rear w/3:70 ratio w/posi upgrade
Heidts IFS w/Wilwood polished calipers
Wilwood rear disc brake conversion w/ polished calipers
Stainless brake lines installed with AN fittings
Corvette Power brake booster/master cylinder
Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve
Chrome rear 4- bar upgrade
Front chrome springs
Installed aluminum fuel line
frame set up for SB Chevy w/700R4 trans

Total price was $21,170.00

I bought a brand new GM Performance Parts Fastburn 385hp 350 for $4300.00

This is my first street rod, as all my other cars have been hotrods, 56 210, 70 Chevy II, 69 Camaro.

I wanted to do another 69 Camaro and had my eye on an original Z/28 body that a friend of mine has. Wife really wanted a street rod, so this was a compromise (some compromise huh?). Once I finish thie 34 I will try and get my hands on the 69 Z/28 body. Oh, forgot to mention, the kids are out of college and on their own...which is a big help.

Vince
Old 10-05-2003, 08:16 PM
Tomorrow Will Be a Better Day

Last photo:

Quote:
The $35K to $40K estimate you were give is right on the money, mayby even a little conservative.
I have to agree with Vince (302/Z28). There is a ton of little things that you don't think about when you start. I did the spreadsheet just like you and convinced myself as to what I was getting into. Luckily my wife supports the project and has put up with the growing cost. Unless you have a garage full of parts already, it's going to cost you more than $20k.

Good luck on your project. No matter what you spend, it's still a lot of fun.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.