New Air Compressor - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2007, 05:15 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I would (and did) get something rated for industrial vs homeowner use which the Campbell hausfields seem to be. One thing I didn't understand about the single vs 2 stage Eaton's is the 2 stage comes with a 1/2" ball valve on the tank while the single stage comes with a 3/4", maybe oldred would know why this is. The 90 vs 100 psi is close enough that if it does 19.5 at 100 psi it's probably just over 20 at 90 psi. The manual says that the pump they use on the single stage is 32 cfm free displacement and that running a 5 hp at 650 rpm does 19.5 cfm and it you put a 7 1/2 hp on it & change the pulley to run it at 860 rpm it will deliver 26 cfm. I just know comparing this pump to the ones in the box store is like looking at a 455 rocket then opening the hood on a V-6 size wise, motor is the same way. I put the clamp meter on it, pulls 45 amps start & runs at 19.5 amps but this is using synthetic oil which probably cuts down on friction a bit. The motor is plated 22-25 amps so it just loafs while running. Another thing Eaton has going for them is good customer service, when I called before buying this I talked directly to Matt Cain, president of the company & he answered all my questions. If you have a problem you won't have to sit on hold on an 800 # or talk to someone who doesn't have a clue what you're talking about, you talk directly to the people that built it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2007, 07:51 PM

I only live about 30 miles from Eaton. Sounds like I'll have to make a trip Saturday morning and do a little shopping. Think I should take the trailer
Old 09-19-2007, 09:13 PM

Is THIS a 2-stage pump? It's making 19.5CFM @ 100psi at only 650RPMs! It's a 7.5HP pump geared down to run on a 5HP motor. I wonder what the max PSI is?
Old 09-20-2007, 07:44 AM

Last photo:

If you only live 30 miles from Eaton you really do need to get down there and talk to those guys, drive your truck and don't forget to arrange for help when you get home (those things are heavy!) No joke, just having them that close is a major advantage and since their equipment is as good as any you will find along with decent pricing that should be just about all you would need to decide. As far as the other compressors you mention Curtis, like Quincy, Brunner (not seen one of those in a while ), etc, is one of the oldest makers out there but the Eaton is about as good as you will find. The two stage IR is a VERY good machine but Campbell Hausfeld has told so many lies, and I mean outright lies, about their outfits in the past I would not give you a nickle for the biggest one they build! They have told some real whoppers about performance and some of the claims they have made were just downright comical and a couple of years ago the courts ruled that some were illegal! They have sold thousands of those cheaply built junky things with motors rated from 5 to 7 HP that actually barely put out 3 HP and they even had some 110 volt motors with (claimed) 4 to 6 HP, yeah right . When looking at a HP rating the AMPs tell more about what kind of power the compressor is really making since a motor will only produce as much power as the load demands and if you have a big motor pulling a light load then whatever AMPs it draws is the power it is producing regardless of the HP rating. That is why Eaton and other "Real" compressor builders can produce so much CFM on what appears to be a low HP motor (low compared to the non-sense ratings anyway). Real 5 HP motors can be found with AMP ratings from 21 to around 28 AMPS with the higher AMP motors being able to carry a heavier load so they are not all the same.

About the motor/pump rpm, motor RPM has next to nothing to do with noise but pump RPM has a great deal to do with it. Generally the lower the pump RPM the quieter it will be but more important is the fact it will last longer and run cooler, that is why Eaton, and some others, use oversized pumps and slow them down. The cheapo outfits use undersized pumps at higher RPM which leads to heat, noise and a shorter service life.

Steve, not sure about that ball valve but I would assume it is just a manufacturing thing since the 1/2" will carry all the flow you would likely need. If you needed more flow that 1/2" could supply, for more than a few seconds anyway, then you would need a bigger compressor than either one of those so actually IMO it does not make much difference.

Last edited by oldred; 09-20-2007 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:04 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blsnelling
Is THIS a 2-stage pump? It's making 19.5CFM @ 100psi at only 650RPMs! It's a 7.5HP pump geared down to run on a 5HP motor. I wonder what the max PSI is?
No, that is the single stage compressor I have. Go to their web page & click on bare pumps then find the 32 cfm pump & it gives some more info. According to that page 150 psi is max but mine came set up from the factory to kick on at 110 psi & shut off at 140 psi which suits me fine as I've never ran it out of air.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:12 PM

I called IR and CH today. All three models mentioned above have motors that runs 3350-3500RPMs. What surprised me is that the T-30 IR has the fastest pump speeds at something like 1500RPMs. I left the numbers written down at work. So it's really looking like I'll be going with an Eaton. I want a slow and quiet compressor.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:23 PM

Last photo:

One thing I think would be interesting is if Matt would get say an IR and a box store compressor & take side by side comparison pictures of them sitting next to his compressors & post them at the bottom of the page. He could also use them for in store demo's.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:53 PM

The single biggest thing he could do to improve his site would be to list the specs so that you can actually find them on each model page. It also gets real old reading through all the monotony about why his compressors are so much better than the inferior competition. Perhaps it's all true, but he should put all that info on a seperate page with a link from each model he sells. It really "cheapens" his site they way he has it set up. All that aside, I really like his product. He'll probably be getting my business.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blsnelling
I called IR and CH today. All three models mentioned above have motors that runs 3350-3500RPMs. What surprised me is that the T-30 IR has the fastest pump speeds at something like 1500RPMs. I left the numbers written down at work. So it's really looking like I'll be going with an Eaton. I want a slow and quiet compressor.

In my earlier post I made the statement that the cheaper units use undersize MOTORS and speed them up but that was a typo, I meant to say they use undersize pumps and run them faster.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:27 AM

Eaton Compressor

I will second the good customer service from Eaton Compressor. Call or e-mail and you will probably talk to Steve. I made the 100 mile drive and picked mine up in person. I ended up replacing the tired pump on my single stage unit with one of the 3 cylinder single stage 18cfm bare pumps Eaton sells. It is quieter than the one it replaced and runs my POS Harbor Freight sandblaster just fine. The pump it replaced would not keep up when sandblasting.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:37 AM

Last journal entry: New Attitude
Last photo:

After months of stressing and reading, I bought this one. It is an absolute beast! Baldor 5h.p. 80 gal. two stage cast iron 20.7cfm @100psi max 175psi and american made. I had a Siemens mag starter added. I absolutely LOVE IT! I never run out of air. In line sander, DA, blast cabinet, ETC. I ended up with under $1500.00 in the set up. No regrets and no problems. My 2 cents.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	curtis.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	24398  
Old 09-21-2007, 10:59 AM

Last photo:

Curtis is a brute no doubt about it, been around longer than just about anybody, and that is the kind of compressor that can last a typical home shop a lifetime where as the "cheapo" compressors will need replacement every few years. That along with the hassle of running out of air when you need it most it with the cheapies it just makes sense to spend the few extra bucks up front and be done with it. Quincy has always been my favorite and I have seen those things run in unbelievably abusive conditions for years without so much as a whimper, they just kept on pumping and I expect that the Curtis would do the same.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:29 PM

I drove over to Eaton after work and ordered a compressor. I dealt with Matt Cain and he's a super nice guy. He even took the time to show me their monster 200HP rotary compressor. I think he said it puts out 800CFM??!! Anyway, super nice guy that takes time to make his customers feel welcome.

The setup I bought is not on the website. I got an 80 gallon tank, painted red/white/blue with the lines waiving, not straight like on their website. The motor is different from the ones on-line. The 5HP motor now weighs 110 lbs. The pump is a 7.5HP radial 3-cylinder 2-stage w/continuous run capability, geared down for a 5HP motor. He said it would be 650RPM, but the website says only 580. Reguardless, it'll be slow, quiet, and cool running. It's the same pump that they sell bare. LINK . One advantage with a V-style or radial engine is that every cylinder gets maximum cooling. It will come with an auto-drain, bolt-adjustable belt tensioner, and continous run capability. All that for $1365. I don't think you can beat the deal.

He recommended a 40A breaker w/8ga wire. I'm only running less than 20' from the breaker box. Anyone disagree with those recommendations? Is there a particular filter/regulator you recommend? I don't want an oiler with it.

Last edited by blsnelling; 09-21-2007 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:23 PM

Last photo:

I think this may be what you need

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/p-11...ID=22636054022
Old 09-21-2007, 07:25 PM

Looks almost identical to this one for $29.99. LINK

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.