New Air Compressor - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2007, 06:31 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Looks can be deceiving and in this case VERY deceiving.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2007, 06:43 PM

Please explain.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:49 PM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by blsnelling
Please explain.
Not to speak for oldred, but the Sharpe filter/regulator is of much higher quality than the HF Knock off.

That being said - I have the HF knock off, it works ok but leaks a bit, and the inlet threads were just horrible in the casting.

I bought the HF 'cause at the time I didn't have the additional $$ - now this post has me thinking!
Old 10-03-2007, 05:28 AM

My compressor should be done in the next few days. I had planned on picking it up myself. I'm now wondering how to get 670 top-heavy pounds off my trailer. Manpower is available. But 4 guys aren't going to get around this thing and just pick it up. Any suggestions on getting it off the trailer?
Old 10-03-2007, 08:18 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

If you can make a ramp out of some boards you may be able to
walk or slide it down
Old 10-03-2007, 08:29 AM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by blsnelling
My compressor should be done in the next few days. I had planned on picking it up myself. I'm now wondering how to get 670 top-heavy pounds off my trailer. Manpower is available. But 4 guys aren't going to get around this thing and just pick it up. Any suggestions on getting it off the trailer?
An engine hoist and some nylon straps would work.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:21 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcclark
If you can make a ramp out of some boards you may be able to
walk or slide it down
Remember that thing will be extremely top-heavy and if you tilt it over BE CAREFUL! If you need to lay it on it's side then drain the compressor oil first (if it is shipped "wet") and before hooking up the power after it is located in it's finial position turn the pump by hand for a few revolutions to clear the cylinders of any oil just in case some drained in there. DO THIS BEFORE HOOKING UP THE POWER!
Old 10-03-2007, 11:39 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Remember that thing will be extremely top-heavy and if you tilt it over BE CAREFUL! If you need to lay it on it's side then drain the compressor oil first (if it is shipped "wet") and before hooking up the power after it is located in it's finial position turn the pump by hand for a few revolutions to clear the cylinders of any oil just in case some drained in there. DO THIS BEFORE HOOKING UP THE POWER!
wouldn't it be good to also disconnect the compressor-tank line and have a rag at the pump exhaust port to catch any oil so none gets inside the compressor tank?

Old 10-03-2007, 07:56 PM

Delievery is $75. Do you think it'd be worth going to the trouble to remove the pump and motor and doing it that way. The pump is 260lbs. The motor is 110. Subtract the weight of the pulleys, belt and cage, and the tank is probably under 275lbs. Whatcha think?
Old 10-04-2007, 06:10 AM

Last photo:

If you can get that thing delivered and set in place for $75 then go for it, it's worth every penny unless you have a bunch of body builder friends close by. If you manage to drop it, even if you don't get hurt, it is probably going to cost a lot more than 75 bucks in damages. As far as disassembly for moving you might want to discuss this with them first since it may cause warranty issues in case the need arises, probably not a good idea.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:47 PM

Last photo:

I ordered the liftgate service when mine was delivered but keep in mind this was delivered with a 53' semi trailer so getting around in residential neighborhoods might be tight. Guy backed it right up to my barn & he & I got it on the liftgate & once down he wheeled it into place with a palletjack & there it still sits on the pallet. If you live in a true residential neighborhood you might see if it can be delivered on a straight truck with a liftgate, the liftgate is worth the 15.00 & once it's down on the ground you can move it anywhere without worry of it tipping over with a palletjack.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:02 PM

I had a really bad experience with Eaton today, and as of now, will not be getting their compressor. I called this morning to see if it was done since I hadn't heard from them. They said it was ready to pick up. As you know, I had been reconsidering picking it up myself. It was Steve that had answered the phone so I asked him how much for delivery. To my amazement he told me $163. Keep in mind I'm only about 30 miles away. I asked him how that could be since Matt had given me a price of $75? He proceeded to inform me that Matt would have never done that and began schooling me on how much the trucking company charges and the lift gate service, etc. etc. He also asked if that was Matt or a trucking company delivering. I told him I didn't know anything about that and didn't care. All I knew is that during the deal making, Matt had given me a price of $1365 + $75 delivery. Yes, I turned down the delivery at the time. All Steve wanted to do was argue so I told him I refused to argue any farther and would be calling Matt.

Matt himself called just a few minutes later. He also denied ever making the deal. He also began trying to school me and I told him I didn't care about any of that. All that mattered was the price he gave me when trying to make a sale. He wanted to to nothing but argue as well. He even threatened to cancel the order, that there were guys lined up to buy his compressors. Just a basic rotten attitude. Nothing like he acted when I was in the store making the deal. I finally decided to drop it and agreed to pick it up.

After getting off the phone, I began to seriously reconsider if I wanted to spend $1450 on a piece of equipment that I would have to rely on Eaton for service should it ever need it. Then, just a few minutes later, Matt called back and said to just forget what had been said and offered me a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty. I then said, "Matt, I'm not trying to be nasty here, but I'm having second thoughts about buying this piece of equipment from someone that won't keep their word". Well, that did it. He just went off on me telling me how wrong I am and proceeded to hang up on me. Simply amazing for a business owner/CEO.

Now I know some of you are going to say, well it does cost more than that for delivery. Or maybe I got my details mixed up. All that may be true. But the bottom line is the attitude they both had. I know what Matt said and am sure of it. Even if he said, "You know what Brad? I agreed the day you ordered it to deliever it for that price. You turned it down. I was taking a loss at that price and can no longer offer that deal. However, I still want to sell you this compressor. I want to work this out with you. How about an extended warranty instead?" But no, both Steve and Matt chose to get ugly and argumentative and denied ever saying that. I'd hate to think that something broke in the future and they decided they didn't want to stand behind their product. Based on their actions today, they're totally capable of that.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:12 PM

Now I'm back to the whole shopping thing. Do I really want to spend $1450.......?

As far as needing a 2-stage, the only thing I want more CFM for is my 1/2" impact gun. I like that extra umph of a few extra PSI. With that said, which of the following would YOU pick?
1. IR 5 HP, 22.5A Emerson? motor, 135 max. PSI and 80 gal. ASME tank. 18. 1 CFM @ 90 PSI, Pump 1000 RPM, 100% cast iron, $794 LINK
2. U.S. General 5 HP, 21A Century motor, 13.5 CFM @ 165 PSI, 15.8 CFM @ 90 PSI, 60 gal tank, sticker says pump max 1400 RPM but not the actual spec, aluminum crankcase, cast iron cylinders, $799 on sale. LINK

I'm a little leary of this unit with a pump speed of 1375 RPM. LINK. I'm not sure what the pump speed is on this one, but I believe it's in the same ball park. LINK

OR, should I suck up my pride and call Matt back and see if he'll still sell me the compressor I ordered? If I need that much compressor, there's not another deal that I know of that comes close.

Please let me know if you're aware of any low RPM 5HP 2-stage units for close to $1365.

Last edited by blsnelling; 10-15-2007 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:03 PM

Last photo:

As far as the 1/2" impact, most if not all are spec'd to operate off 90 psi to give rated power. My 1/2" Nitrocat has loosened anything on a car or light truck that I have pointed it at running 95 psi at the regulator with 100' of 3/8" hose. Considering the intermitten nature of an impact everything either loosens or breaks off in a few seconds so either of the compressors you linked to will run one no problem. Sorry to hear about the experience you had during the phone calls, I paid 132 shipping + 30 for liftgate & residential last summer but then I'm further away than you. Don't know what type deal they have with the freight company if it's like the delivery charge on a new car, whether you're across the street or halfway across the country you still pay the same Mine shipped with oil in the pump so keep that in mind if you change your mind & do go to get it. Hope whatever unit you do decide to go with does what you want it to do, that's the main thing
Old 10-15-2007, 06:49 PM

Last photo:

You are right in that nothing you listed will come close to the Eaton in performance and as far as that Ingersoll that has come up before already here and in other threads. Ingersoll has been pretty good with their ratings before so maybe it is the retailer but that 18.1 CFM@90 PSI for that particular model is fantasy IMO and I have checked a hell of a lot of compressors over the years, 14 CFM or MAYBE even 15 on a good day. If you want a better compressor than the Eaton then check out a Quincy. One of the two stage Ingersoll outfits is also really good and will probably last nearly a lifetime if you take proper care of it but something like that U.S. General may not last nearly as long although it does not look bad for the price, key words here being "for the price".

www.quincycompressor.com/plt.html

IMO Quincy is the best you can buy but they are a bit spendy, thirty years from now while you are still using the thing it may seem quite cheap however. I am not exaggerating about that thirty years and I can think of two Quincys that are at least that old that have been used regularly without a whimper, out of the pumps anyway. One is a gas powered outfit that has worn out a couple of engines and a tank but that pump is still going strong and has not had any major repair done to it during this entire time. You just will not find a better compressor than Quincy.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.