Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - New ball joint..rotate freely or stiff?
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 07:17 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My advice would be to go back to the part store that sold you the new joints, and have them call the supplier's tech line.

Ball joint designs have changed more than you'd think, with different materials being used for bearings, etc.

I can't recall which vehicle my installer was working on, but he was concerned because he couldn't get grease into a new BJ. A call to the tech line indicated that it was fairly common on that particular joint ... It is lubed during assembly, so just drive it for a while then try again.

One more thing.
Many mfr's will offer a lifetime warranty on ball joints ... but this does NOT include labor.
It's another reason to buy "Name Brand / Quality parts" versus the white box cheap versions.

NAPA (in Canada, for sure) has an optional "90-day labor warranty plan" available to the installer that provides some protection for labor costs on selected parts. (Yes, the Name Brand versions only.)
Understand that this is not something that is provided by the mfr or the store ... it's more like an insurance policy that the installer pays $150.00 annually for.
The installer is paid $75.00 / hr to replace qualified components that they installed, so the fee pays for itself with a 2-hour come-back.

If you are paying a repair shop to install these joints, be sure to discuss this with them.

Last edited by 66GMC; 08-05-2012 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Labor Warranty