Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   New ball joint..rotate freely or stiff? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/new-ball-joint-rotate-freely-stiff-222554.html)

ramzoom 08-05-2012 12:34 AM

New ball joint..rotate freely or stiff?

Ok..I just got new lower ball joints for my daily driver..As I am holding the first new ball joint in my hand I can grab the threaded part where the castle nut goes and move it very freely..like a joystick..on the 2nd new ball joint I cannot seem to move it at all..Seems to me they should be very stiff? Should I send the "loose" joint back?

eloc431962 08-05-2012 05:14 AM

Even with new ball joints the nuckle should move around freely. JMO
Should be just fine IMHO even sometimes when they will be to tight i alway's take a BFH and give it a few taps and they will free up.:thumbup:

Cole
:pimp:

poncho62 08-05-2012 05:26 AM

Somewhere in between what you are describing....

eloc431962 08-05-2012 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poncho62 (Post 1580218)
Somewhere in between what you are describing....

Yep X2 .:mwink:

Cole
:pimp:

66GMC 08-05-2012 07:17 AM

My advice would be to go back to the part store that sold you the new joints, and have them call the supplier's tech line.

Ball joint designs have changed more than you'd think, with different materials being used for bearings, etc.

I can't recall which vehicle my installer was working on, but he was concerned because he couldn't get grease into a new BJ. A call to the tech line indicated that it was fairly common on that particular joint ... It is lubed during assembly, so just drive it for a while then try again.

One more thing.
Many mfr's will offer a lifetime warranty on ball joints ... but this does NOT include labor.
It's another reason to buy "Name Brand / Quality parts" versus the white box cheap versions.

NAPA (in Canada, for sure) has an optional "90-day labor warranty plan" available to the installer that provides some protection for labor costs on selected parts. (Yes, the Name Brand versions only.)
Understand that this is not something that is provided by the mfr or the store ... it's more like an insurance policy that the installer pays $150.00 annually for.
The installer is paid $75.00 / hr to replace qualified components that they installed, so the fee pays for itself with a 2-hour come-back.

If you are paying a repair shop to install these joints, be sure to discuss this with them.

ramzoom 08-05-2012 09:56 AM

The "loose" ball joint is a factory OEM straight from Isuzu in the Isuzu box ball joint...Everything I got was made in Japan San Kei or Factory Isuzu Japan..Thats why it struck me odd for it to move..it moves very much like a joystick..some resistance and returns to center but moves easily..the other one I cannot move at all..
Just don't want to redo anything soon...