New to board and cars!!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2004, 05:58 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

New to board and cars!!!!

Hello, I am new to this board, and new to cars. But do have some exsperience with cars So some of my question my be stupid. I have had my 1983 trans am for about 6 years now, it was my first car. Anyways I always wanted to redo my car and the engine. So after getting enough guts to start in on it, I tore it apart about two months ago, after talking to a bunch of different people and reading many things.
My first question is I bought a 383 stroker kit for my 83 chevy 350 two bolt. The engine is .030 over, with stock heads and I have a 750 edelbrock carb. and a torker II manifold with air gap. The stroker kit cam with everything I needed.

ē The cranks stroke is 3.750
ē rods 5.7 forged I-beam
ē silvolite claimer pistons

ē cam- lobe lift INT. 312 EXH. 320
valve lift with 1.5 Ratio INT. 468 EXH. 480
Duration @. .050" INT. 222 EXH. 231
advertised duration @. 006 INT. 306 Exh. 287

The kit came with everything else just didnít want to type and donít know if it matters to put it on here. I am new to cars so I just wanted to know if I bought a good kit to put in, and wanted to know if I can make very much power even though I have stock heads on it. This summer I plane on buying some heads anyway, just got to save up. My other question is, with my pistons and rods. Do I have to take them to the machine shop to get them put together, because I cant find the lock didnt know if the lock wasnt there because im supposed to take it to the shop. I still have to go to the shop anyway to get the block worked on just have to get the money. Any other advice would be greatly appreceated, im just trying to learn as much as I can as fast as I can. I am good with my hands and know the baisics with cars and with engines. I know some people that work on cars but I donít think they know to much about cars, and I donít want to mess up my car.

Advertisement

Last edited by t-bird; 01-21-2004 at 06:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2004, 08:01 PM

welcome to the board.

Your parts sound good. Just remember, you'll have to clearance your block at the bottom of the bores. Also, watch your quench area when you get head gaskets and make sure you have enough compression to match that cam.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:05 PM

Hi T-bird... Funny name for a guy with a GM product

I 'm kinda new too, but you will find most these guys are pretty knowledgeble. Brave Man building your own heads. Thats one thing I will never buy in pieces. Heads and Carbs are black magic to me. I did a lot of research before I made the decision to purchase a crate motor for my vette. High Performance engines are pretty finky and they want parts that work well with each other. The best way to build a strong engine is to copy what has been already proven. Find some build up in books or magazines and follow the parts to a T. Change one part and all bets are off.

Absorb data from everywhere... Then build away.

Good Luck
-Tony
Old 01-22-2004, 02:25 PM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

Here is a website that will give you some kind of an idea what different combonations will do as far as torque and hp goes. I would recommend having a machine shop clearance and assemble the short block at least, I have seen alot of people screw motors up trying to put one to gather when they didnt know what they were doing.

Good Luck,

Adam

http://www.ryanscarpage.50megs.com/combos1.html
Old 01-22-2004, 04:39 PM

Thanks for all the advice. When i started this whole thing I really didnt know what to buy, and i didnt want to buy parts seperate. I was afraid i would buy parts that didnt go together. I wanted to get a kit so I knew it was supposed to go toether. Its prolly not the greatest set up, but im just getting started and learning. I was going to buy a crate engine but i wanted to learn about it. I always have wanted too, and its exciting for me. I cant wait tell I take the engine and get it worked on then get it back, to work on. Then that blessed day when I start it up and hopfully everything is done right. Im going to talk to the shop to see what else there is to do.

Anyways how do i get the right compression for the cam. and what would be the right compression. Doesnt it have to do something with the space between the piston and the head?

Also thanks for the site to look at anything that i can get helps tramendously!!

Last edited by t-bird; 01-22-2004 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:16 PM

As for the compression, I would talk to the cam company tech line. They should be able to set you up with a cam, compession, convertor, etc. See, it all works together. Match it up and you'll be happy. Dont match it up and it will be a dogg.

Here is a compression ratio calculator:

http://www.prestage.com/Car+Math/Eng...o/default.aspx

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.