Hot Rod Forum banner

new book about cars & guitars of ZZ Top Frontman Billy F Gibbons

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  RCastle 
#1 ·
New Book Tells ZZ Top Frontman Billy F Gibbons' Life Story Through His Amazing Collection of Custom Automobiles and Guitars

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2005/07/18/137735.html

ST. PAUL, Minn., July 18 -- Billy F Gibbons' hot rods and custom car fixation is the stuff of rock 'n' roll legend. Beyond this bona fide bluesman's mastery of the six-string and his unrepentant love for internal combustion one discovers a noted collector whose own designs have manifested both in his cars and in hundreds of mind-bending custom guitars.

In Billy F Gibbons: Rock and Roll Gearhead, ZZ Top's iconic ax man riffs on his teenage garage-band years, his four-decade recording career, his experiences with icons like Jimi Hendrix and Chuck Berry and life on the road. He reveals the tales behind dozens of guitars from his collection of more than 600. These include the famous "Furry One," the "Muddywood," constructed from a timber fallen from Muddy Waters' childhood home and commissioned as a fundraiser for the Delta Blues Museum, and, of course, the creme de la creme, "Pearly Gates," his cherished musical companion.

Gibbons also gives the lowdown on 10 of his outstanding rods and customs, including Kopperhed, CadZZilla and the famous red Eliminator Coupe. In addition to exclusive photography by Bay-Area shooter David Perry, the book features dozens of images from Gibbons' personal archive.

Billy F Gibbons: Rock and Roll Gearhead by Billy F Gibbons with Tom
Vickers, photography by David Perry
Jacketed hardcover / 10 1/2 x 12 / 192 pages / 175 color,
25 black-and-white photos
ISBN 0-7603-2269-4 / $29.95 / $396.95 (CAN) / pounds Sterling 18.99 (UK)

Available October 2005 in bookstores everywhere or through
http://www.motorbooks.com/ .

About the Authors and Photographer

Billy F Gibbons is known worldwide as the lead guitarist of ZZ Top, and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004 by Keith Richards. An avid collector, he is the driving force behind the band's use of stunning custom cars and hot rods on its album covers and in its music videos. He lives in Houston and Los Angeles.

Tom Vickers has worked in the music industry for more than 30 years as an A&R man, journalist and producer. He resides in Los Angeles.

David Perry has had his photographs published exhibited worldwide; his previous books include Hot Rod Pin-Ups, Hot Rod and Bordertown.

-----------

I mentioned David Perry and his hot rod photos in a different discussion thread on this website months ago. For those not familiar with his work, check out his website at David Perry Studio .

See less See more
#2 ·
One of the coolest rock bands ever. I have seen them several times. Last year a good friend of mine went to Sturgis Bike Rally,they were up there and he missed them because he did not find out they were playing until the set was almost over. I bet that was one hell razin time.

#3 ·
well, i hate to say this. but... did you know and i hope you know, that zztop has never stopped kickin out the albums? there last one was just like 2003. they are still good. get all you can get your hands on! i think they have had 4 albums out in the last 10 years, XXX, rythmeen, and last one, Mescalero. same goes for blue oyster cult, although i think the Top's quality of music is still right up there with consistently good music all thru the c.d. boc's has some good tunes but some crappy ones too. both are still touring. i think i just missed ZZT if they played the Goodguys show in puyallup last weekend. if they didnt, then they play puyallup fair this summer and i'll definitely go. i have seen them 3 or 4 times too. even won a trip to see them off the vegas radio station Kmod (the commode)

www.cduniverse.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.