Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - new build feels under powered
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 10:20 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupsvette76 View Post
thats the school of thought i was on... i can dial it up to 20 psi even before 4800 but i have dialed it down i never verified exact tdc its pretty smooth acceleration though ... never advanced it past 34 and i never thought to advance it past 34 just for idle no load no a bad idea... compression is ok and it runs on fresh 93 the only plugs i can use unfortunately are the accel shortys since i have extreme header clearance issues and the throttle is definitely oopen
I'm not necessarily saying you need more than 34 degrees. What I AM saying is the timing marks- if not verified- might be making you think you have 34 degrees when you may not have that much.

The timing marks/TDC should be verified. A quick test for a lack of advance is to do as I said above- crank in some more timing to see if the situation improves. If it does, this might be pointing to an erroneous timing tab/damper line, or a problem w/the cam timing.