Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - New build oil consumption???
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 10:22 PM
known to do dumb stuff!!

Wiki Edits: 0

New build oil consumption???

OK guys I recently built a vortec injected 383 stroker. I am running SRP forged pistons, Howard's cams plasma moly rings (grind to fit). The machine shop that I had do the work said the bores needed a little different prep and finish hone so they break in properly. The heads were checked out and well within spec on valve wear and guide wear. I machined down the guides and used Howard's cams valve guide seals (the blue ones, not sure on the material).

What has me stumped, is since new it has used, what I consider, a decent ammount of oil. Not leaking a drop, but burning it. To the tune of 1 to 2 quarts every tank (38 gallons, 400 miles)! All my measurements are spot on! I've never had a problem with any other engine I've built! Its not fouling plugs or anything just strong smell in the exhaust of oil burning. I have never built an engine with forged pistons. The pistons were fitted to SRP's directions.

Any suggestions on what it could be? Engine runs great! It has about 5,000 miles on the motor. All dino oil nothing to slippery! I've heard it takes a while to seat in these moly rings, but 5,000 miles? Sure think they would have bed in by now! Right???

Suggestions, comments, criticisms???