Hot Rod Forum banner

new at buying tools

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  MI2600 
#1 ·
I have a wrench of 1/4 to 15/16 and 1 to 25 mm, a rachet set, same as wrenches sizes an 2 ton engine kiftand a torch wrench, don't know whats for, what other tools do i need to mess with my engine over the summer:embarrass

#7 ·
Doc here, :pimp:

Sounds like you have the basic open end / Box end wrenches as well as a Socket set for the most popular sizes..

To add to that To build a good Novice troubleshoot/repair tool kit:
  • Screwdriver sets, both slotted and Philip's #1 and #2
  • A few adjustable wrenches.
  • Various types and sizes of Vise grips.
  • A Strap or Oil filter wrench.
  • A Battery powered screw/nut driver is nice to have.
  • A Set of Torqx Bit ends that will fit in a 1/4 socket or screwdriver handle.
  • Small Drill index.
  • Basic Compression Gauge.
  • Basic timing light.
  • Vacuum Gauge.
  • Fuel pressure / Volume tester.
  • Inexpensive Radiator Cap/Radiator pressure tester.
  • Inexpensive DVMM (Digital Multi Meter)
  • Inexpensive soldering Iron and 1 pound 24 gauge 50 / 50 solder.
  • Good Wire Crimp kit and crimper pliers.
  • Fluorescent Drop lamp.
  • Feeler gauge.
  • Plug gap gauge ring.
  • Insulated Fuse pullers (for home type main fuses, good for pulling running plug wires!)
  • 5/8's and 13/16's Spark plug sockets (if your basic tool kit does not have them.)
  • An inexpensive Hydraulic Floor jack.
  • Jack stands.
  • Creeper.
  • Drip pan or oil Catch pan and tray.
  • A couple of bundles of $1.99 Washable Rag bundles.
  • Basic First aid kit.

This is the tool kit My Bro and I just outfitted my 17 Year old Nephew with To do his FIRST project Truck..a Frame off Dodge..

You can buy this stuff a little at a time , each payday, or splurge on the plastic..

Unless I forgot something (and I probably did..) this should see you through any project while you learn..The most important lesson..Take care of your tools , no matter how inexpensive they may be..someday, they will be the expensive brands..

Good Luck on your Project!

Doc :pimp:

#8 ·
Get yourself a good tool box chest. Even if you find a bigger one at a swap meet cheap you'll be surprised how fast you can fill it. Put some rubber matting in the bottom of each drawer and some decals on the outside of her and everyone will think you know what you are doing. :mwink:

#10 ·
western star said:
Get yourself a good tool box chest. Even if you find a bigger one at a swap meet cheap you'll be surprised how fast you can fill it. Put some rubber matting in the bottom of each drawer and some decals on the outside of her and everyone will think you know what you are doing. :mwink:
Now that's funny...I don't care who you are...

#11 ·
this is how

western star said:

then i i'll put some price tag stickers on your face so people think your worth something

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.