New cam trouble - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2005, 07:35 PM
US Navy-Retired

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

New cam trouble

Hello folks I have a problem I hope someone can help with. I installed this can today http://www.cranecams.com/?show=browseParts&action=partSpec&partNumber=10005 2&lvl=2&prt=5 and installed a 3 way double roller chain (cloyers). When I installed the new timing gear I was told to install it using the factory specified timing mark (factory ketway) looking that the specs for the cam, was it right? Once everything was back together I tried to start it with no luck. I pulled the valve covers back off and noticed 2 bent pushrods. I don't know if I adjusted them wrong (too tight) or if I installed the timing gear wrong. Any help would be great. Thank you

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2005, 10:47 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last journal entry: Still Going
Last photo:

Ok a few things here. I used the cloyes timing chain and make sure you read the directions they are pretty clear as to what to do. Just put it on the key way and then line up the mark on the cam sprocket (factory setting mark) with the crank sprocket (factory setting mark)
Those two marks should meet. The cam mark at 6o clock and the crank at 12 (not the keyways the timing sprocket marks)

How did you set the valves. YOu must pre set all the valves before firing the engine. The vlaves should be set useing THIS method. I used it and it worked so well no valve adjustment was needed when engine was fired. Also check your timing to make sure it's in spec. Don't keep crankin the engine without it firing you may want to recoat the lobes now just in case you really don't want to deal with cam failure!

Chris
Old 02-22-2005, 06:13 AM
US Navy-Retired

Last photo:

Late last night I remembered that I took a picture of the timming gear when I installed it. I looked at the picture and I installed it with 4 degrees advanced. Not the factory specs like I stated earlier. When I bought the double roller gear the parts guy showed me which way to set it. I just could not remember and I though it was the factory setting when I posted first. I was sure the line the marks up exactly, crank at 12 and cam at 6. SO I know I did that right, I just think that it is either the 4 degrees advance or valve adjustment problem.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:35 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last photo:

I have to find my box and get the instructions for the timing chain. I think it was the circle that was stock and then there was a tri. and a sq. Normally you just set it right to the factory setting because the cams already come with 4deg. built into them (search around here will tell you more about that)
Then when you have that set use the method that comp. cams had there to set your valves and you will be good to good as long as your timing is in spec.

Chris
Old 02-22-2005, 02:46 PM
US Navy-Retired

Last photo:

I think I have my crank 180 out. I had it at TDC, but I think I may have rotated another 360. I did match up the marks cam at 6 and crank at 12. I am going to pull everything back out tonight and re-check the TDC. Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Not all timing sets for the SBC are marked to be set at 6 o'clock and 12. My Lunati billet set is 12 and 12. Turn your engine in the normal rotation direction and watch your intake and exhaust valve/lifter events. Make sure the #1 intake has just closed and the piston has come up on compression when you reach TDC on the pointer. Once the intake closes put your thumb over the plug hole, when it stops pushing air it's pretty close to TDC and ready to fire.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:21 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last photo:

Yes but he got the cloyes set and I get the same thing he does so im going by that.

Chris

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.