New Camaro rumors.... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2008, 07:28 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

New Camaro rumors....

Locally there is rumors circulating around that the new Camaro project has been dropped by GM due to fuel prices and the new Federal fuel requirements. I have been told this by two different GM dealers and a host of friends! I can not find anything about this online. Do any of you folks have information on this?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2008, 10:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro freak
Locally there is rumors circulating around that the new Camaro project has been dropped by GM due to fuel prices and the new Federal fuel requirements. I have been told this by two different GM dealers and a host of friends! I can not find anything about this online. Do any of you folks have information on this?
I believe the Camaro project was dropped more than a year ago ( maybe two years ), I heard GM didn't want to bear the cost of new tooling for the project.

gcrmcc
Old 03-26-2008, 01:37 AM
Dry Heat

Last journal entry: along the weird tale..
Last photo:

Might want to look at this..

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/

The rumors of the Camaro demise seem to be...rumors..

I'm guessin'
Old 03-26-2008, 06:53 AM
Blowin' it

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Running again...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

From what I understand, they are already tooled up for it. It would be crazy to drop it now, so many people are waiting for them. It sounds like it is going to be a huge success. Only time will tell. I personally love it, but have no use for a car.

Jason
Old 03-26-2008, 07:43 AM
go fast, turn left!

Last photo:

They are either pulling your leg or they are just out to lunch. The assembly line in Oshawa will start turning them out late this year and Camaro will be released as an 09 model in about a years time. Save your pennies......
Old 03-26-2008, 08:42 AM

Last photo:

eager to get one...

I hope they don't do that to me. I am passing on the Mustang and Challenger awaiting the Camaro. I even told my wife that she is going to make her SUV last a few more years because the Camaro is coming.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:58 PM
Artful Dodger

Last journal entry: From behind
Last photo:

I don't know about any plans to shelve the idea, but I did hear a rumour that they're planning on changing the power plant to a 2 liter 4 banger.

Originally posted on Autoblog:

Lutz says GM considering 2.0-liter turbo for Camaro

A four-banger in a Camaro! Blasphemy you say? Could be, but what four-pot are we talking about? In this case, the General's car czar Bob Lutz suggests that the new 2010 Camaro due next February could offer the same 2.0 liter direct-injected engine used in the Saturn Sky Redline, Pontiac Solstice GXP and the SS versions of the Chevy HHR and Cobalt. Before dismissing the turbo-four immediately, consider the top-of-the-line engine options the Camaro offered after the last oil-embargo-driven doomsday. In '72, the big block 402 engine offered just 240 horsepower; in '73, the Z28 was equipped with a 245-horse 350 and by '75 the hottest option underhood made only 155 horses. Ouch. The 2.0 being considered for the Camaro punches out 260 horsepower, and based on our time with the engine, you feel each of them as you run up towards the redline. The next step-up will likely be a version of GM's 3.6, as offered in the CTS and G8, also making around 260 horsepower.

Other Camaro tidbits mentioned by Lutz: it will be priced higher than the Mustang, as GM sees the Camaro as a higher-end offering. Specifically, Lutz suggests that the Camaro will feature a much better interior than the 'Stang, along with its inherently better independent rear-suspension arrangement.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:23 PM

Last journal entry: Free tires
Last photo:

I think they would have a better seller if they released it as a Trans Am. The artist renderings of various T/A's going around blow the Camaro away. The newest being a take off of the 69 T/A, with the anniversary coming up it'd be a big hit.
GM is making a mistake with the design they're going with.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:52 PM

Last photo:

I'm not in love with the Camaro concept and what it has become, I think the drawings by the young guy that circulated on the internet a few years back of a "retro Camaro" woulda been a whole different ballgame...

I wouldn't believe the Camaro is being cancelled, not unless it's directly from GM, and I seriously doubt it.

The turbo 4 banger I have heard, and it will probably happen, but I'm sure it won't be at the expense of a V8.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:47 PM

Last photo:

I'm glad to see it come back, It just looks like they missed the mark. With Dodge Challenger and Ford Mustangs around I don't think its going to go over that big. I really think its to little to late.

What still amazes me is how the drove the old Camaro into the ground.... well its not selling, lets put 100 MORE pounds of plastic on it. This at a time when the mustang had a new smoother body design and outselling the Camaro 10-1.

Jordon

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.