New car sticker shock - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2011, 02:38 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

New car sticker shock

My wife is in the market to replace her 2003 Ford Escape. Now, mind you, this car was about $23K when new, but it was the top of that current version of Escapes - and has been a very good car at 85,000 miles.

We started out by considering a new Escape - but no longer any V6 option, only a 4 cylinder 2.5L banger or a Hybrid. Then to add the 4WD, the XLT and at least the same options is with sales tax, over $30K. That 4 banger - that thing will downshift 1-3 ranges every time it even sees a hill.

Subarus even more money for a comparable car and since we live about 25 miles from Vermont where it seems to be the greenies state car ---- nahhhh.

Off to the Hyundai showroom. They have some really nice cars, a V6 in their Santa Fe and a bit less for more then the Escape. They also have a Tucson, 4 cyl, but a fair bit smaller then the Escape.

I've had my last Toyota and wont own a Honda - in our area, too many have body rot.

A Gooberment Motors Car

Maybe I can convince her that a sedan might be a better choice then the SUV

But the new car prices omygollee

Dave W

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2011, 03:35 PM

Last journal entry: Got it running
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Best value is usually about a 1-2 year old car. Brand new you waste a lot of money on depreciation as soon as you drive it off the lot.

But if you gotta have new the prices are indeed rediculous. I couldn't afford anything new. I am hoping my 2003 pt cruiser can get me through nursing school. Hopefully by then I will have a better paying job and clear up my bad credit.

I love how on the tv shows and commercials they will say something like, only 23,000 for a new xxxx. I did see a commercial though that I liked for a new cadillac. It was pointing out it was available with a real tranny or a slushbox. Almost cool enough to make me overlook the ugly lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2011, 03:45 PM
boatbob2

sticker shock...........

Hi,i bought a new 1960 CORVAIR,$1795.00, a new 1962 Corvair Monza,$2254.00,and a NEW 1961 Corvette,$3871.00,those were the out the door ,prices did not include Florida state sales taxes.i laugh at the prices of the new cars...thats crazy....
Old 10-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Just bought my 'Better Half' an older Crown Victoria.
55,000 miles--------a 2002 car.
Gave $6500 for it.

Newer models around 5 yrs old were running up to and beyond 13-14k with around the same miles.

Since she will put close to 100K on this thing in the next 3 years, the older car should turn out to be the better choice.

We just bought the Windstar about 3 years ago and she has put over 100k on that.

Told her to just drive the Victoria back and forth to work (close to 100mi each way) and save the still running fine Windstar for going into town and doing errands.
As long as she keeps the Vic on the hiway, the fuel mileage should be okay, but if she starts taking that heavy thing into town and stop&go traffic---mileage will disappear.

Found the original window sticker in the car last weekend-----that thing had a sticker price of 29k----pricey car in 2002----but it has virtually every option in it.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:39 PM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

85,000 isn't that many miles. I would drive it to at least 150 and then write it off. My cousin got a Hyndai and loves it but is is a buttugly car IMO>
Old 10-29-2011, 09:13 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

I bought another Grand Prix as a "commuter car" about this time last year.

It's a 2004 GT Widetrack with a 3800 V6 (Naturally Aspirated)
It had 95,000 KM on the clock and was pretty clean.
He was asking $6500, but I bought it for $5900.00.

After having it for a year now, and fixed the 2 things that were wrong with it ... a broken wire to the ABS sensor, and cleaning of the throttle body ... I couldn't be happier.

The wife and I just drove out to Fairmont BC (4.5 hour drive through the mountains) and arrived there with about 1/2 tank of gas remaining.

Happy, happy.

BTW ... we looked at one on the GM dealer's lot at the same time last year. It was a 2007 with about 75,000 kms ... $15,000.00 was the asking price on that one.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:24 AM

Most Escapes - they have a tender transmission. When these trannys start to go, they shudder when going into OD - and my wife's car is starting to do that.

As far as a used car - and that's how I buy my DD pick ups - I have gotten just plain out of time to "play" with someone elses "cast off/used" vehicle. That's not a complaint, its just that I've gotten to a point in my life that doing other projects is more fun
Old 10-30-2011, 09:23 AM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

I know how you feel on that comment.

Shortly after buying the Windstar (had 75k on it), the trans went south.
In January of this year---blew a head gasket.
Now the trans is misbehaving again .

Both of these things seem to be Taurus/Windstar trademarks.

And on top of that, I have noticed while junkyarding that all of the Windstars I have seen in the yards, look like they were driven there from church.
I think I have only seen 2 Windstars that were actually crashed.

Trannys and heads on these things are very time consuming.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan59EC

My daughter had 2 Windstars to cart her 3 kids around - crashed the one - a tree fell directly in front of her and she drove over it, trashing the underside. The second - tranny. But, both had well over 100K and were never well cared for - her husband doesn't have a clue.

The Escape tranny for the 4WD is somewhere in the vicinity of $3k installed. I just do not have the lift and probably not enough metric tools to do a change out
Old 10-30-2011, 03:06 PM

I've about convinced my wife that a dealer "certified" used car might be a good choice. Probably go look at Subes tomorrow as well as a Ford store
Old 10-30-2011, 06:11 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan59EC

Shortly after buying the Windstar (had 75k on it), the trans went south.
In January of this year---blew a head gasket.
Now the trans is misbehaving again .

Both of these things seem to be Taurus/Windstar trademarks.

And on top of that, I have noticed while junkyarding that all of the Windstars I have seen in the yards, look like they were driven there from church.

You know what's funny I bought my 96 Windstar in 2001, for quite a few years, 10 or so after I bought it I NEVER saw one in a wrecking yard! It was bizarre. A couple of years ago I needed a mirror and it took me forever to find one. I finally found ONE Windstar in a wrecking yard out of town. Now, lately, the damn yards are FULL of them!

Bought mine at 65k as I remember and yes at 85K or so it blew the head gasket. So far it has 165K on it and is running strong.

Brian
Old 11-01-2011, 03:21 PM

We just spent the day and a bit of the GC's inheritance. We did the Hyundai, Subaru then just for the heck of it our local Ford store and where the '03 Escape was originally bought. One major correction from my OP - Ford still offers the V6.

We drove a new Escape, a Fusion and a Focus. The Escape needs a major chassis make over - it's rough.

The Focus - at 6'4" I am totally uncomfortable but I do have a daughter who is going to buy one instead.

The Fusion - my wife fell in love with that car. Super comfortable, handles well, great brakes (probably soft pads and rotors that I'll need to change in 25K miles). We drove the V6 as well as the I4. The V6 is peppy, but the I4 surprisingly, isn't far behind and what she picked out. Gas mileage is in the mid 30s for a big car. Since I have a GE Retirees Ford Motor discount and with a bit of haggling, we ended up at a little less then $100 over invoice. We'll pick it up Friday morning.

I have gotten to the point I really dislike buying new cars - used are much more fun as you can haggle the price lots more

Dave W
Old 11-01-2011, 04:49 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Dave,

I think you will be quite happy with your purchase. I have had a Subaru, along with many other all wheel and 4 wheel drive trucks, cars, and SUVs. In snow that is less than 8" deep, or hard packed, the Subie was the best hands down. Being a life long bachelor, I've never needed a car purchase to pass muster with anyone but me, so I can not truly identify with making the other half happy with a purchase or to justify a given purchase. On the sticker shock issue, in 1976 I ordered a new Chevy Blazer 4X4 with all the options and a 4 speed stick. The stick is why it had to be ordered and built, no dealer had one fully optioned and stick shift. If I remember correctly that ran close to $7000.00, a lot in those days. 1982 found me buying the new Datsun 280Z turbo 5 speed stick, and I thought that was high at $20K. Move up to the year 2000, and $40K spent on a Ford F350 4X4 diesel crew cab dually with of course the stick, and Lariat package so had to order that one too. If you follow my drift, the vehicle purchases through out the years seem like more money, but compared to income have stayed about the same. 3 months ago bought a CTS-V, stick of course, MSRP without tax or license $71K, with a decent deal AND tax and license around $70K. Just a sign of the times Dave.

Bob
Old 11-01-2011, 05:34 PM

Last photo:

Sticker shock

Dave I was looking at Town cars, decided to buy used, Looked in FL as there a tons of them down there for some reason, maybe the older people. Found a 1993 Town car with 1750 miles on it. they were asking $ 1295.00 for it. I almost bought it but someones grandmother must have owned it and might have never gone over 30MPH with it.

Bob
Old 11-01-2011, 05:57 PM

Last journal entry: My Last Hot Rod
Last photo:

New Cars are out for me

When a new car costs more than I paid for my home and land, I say no way Hoze I aint paying for more Union Benefits and little for the car

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.