New chrome moly crank hitting piston skirts - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2010, 05:14 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

New chrome moly crank hitting piston skirts

I had a 350 sbc bored 30 over stock style valve relief piston Crank is worn end play worn thrust bearing so I bought a CAT performance chrome moly whatever 3.480 3.750 rod suppose to work deal $400. I put the crank in and it is hitting a few piston skirts CAN I get a piston with smaller skirts ?.. Or am I *********** and have to buy new rods machine work etc. PLEASE HELP!!! This motor isa $500 over buget I appreciate it.crank is model cks-350ba

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2010, 05:31 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghomer
I had a 350 sbc bored 30 over stock style valve relief piston Crank is worn end play worn thrust bearing so I bought a CAT performance chrome moly whatever 3.480 3.750 rod suppose to work deal $400. I put the crank in and it is hitting a few piston skirts CAN I get a piston with smaller skirts ?.. Or am I *********** and have to buy new rods machine work etc. PLEASE HELP!!! This motor isa $500 over buget I appreciate it.crank is model cks-350ba
Their web site shows this as a 3.50" stroke crank(CKS-L350ba was only # I could find) which is .020" longer stroke than stock. That shouldn't cause a problem, but CAT has a poor rep for quality when it comes to counterwieght size and placement from what I have heard. Made in CHINA.

What piston are you using?

You could always machine the skirts to clear if necessary, I've done it before on other engines. Just be sure it will also clear the bottom of the pin boss in the piston before you get too far into the cutting the pistons scenario, be a time waster to cut the skirts and then not clear the pin boss.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:55 PM

Last photo:

You need something like H345 piston. Short skirts..
Old 07-10-2010, 05:56 PM

thanx for reply...

Crank is not L350BA it is CKS-350BA 3.480S , 5.700R int/b-1 855GM c/0.2rs 68-88 ? whatever this means I know it is standard stroke 5.7 rod thats All I know... They said it wasnt a stroker..bt Im thinkin it is.. Can I not just buy new pistons from summmit with smaller skirts ?... The skirts on these GM factor 30 over pistons or big and hang downfar.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:57 PM

BOB that is what I was thinkin THANK YOU..

If this works I am sending my wife up to well you know.. LOL I hope this isnt a stroker crank though,...
Old 07-10-2010, 06:07 PM

k looked up the piston says its about $15 per piston

Wil these work okay with the 64cc vortecs I plan to run high octane 94 gas I cant find anything about this crank being a stroker.. I called the company no reply LOL imagine that.. BOB I seen a site you posted Flatlander good site!! nice prices..I Love this site it tells newbies like me the right direction Ive learned a lot about modifying engines in the past month I shoulda asked about this crank here before I bought the crank but hell $300 CDN new in box rang my bell. If you think 64 cc and this piston will sove some skirt issue due to the shorter 345 Im gonna try it..

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.