New chrome part or chrome paint? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2003, 08:57 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

New chrome part or chrome paint?

I have many parts on my Nova that I'm considering replacing just so I can get a chrome finish throughout. A good portion of them are still in good, working condition. So...I'm just wondering if chrome paint can compare to buying an item that is already finished.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2003, 09:02 PM
CORNFED and INBRED !?!

The chrome paints don't hold their finish very long, even under perfect conditions! I think that you will just be disappointed and out some time and money. Even cheap chrome parts would be $$ ahead! Be careful though, alot of the cheap stuff have fit and finish issues!
Old 12-14-2003, 09:07 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I had a feeling that the paint would chip easily.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:29 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

never mind the chipping, chrome paint looks like poop. even factory color paint is 1000 tiimes better. there are far better alternatives
Old 12-15-2003, 07:05 PM

Ah. I once saw a car that was painted completely with spray paint. It was not a pretty sight.

I'm kind of torn between whether I should use chrome parts or standard. There are some custom Chevy items (like valve covers, air cleaner, etc) that are availble in chrome and black crinkle finish (from Classic Industries).
Old 12-16-2003, 09:04 AM
Kenneth Howard hates me...

Last journal entry: Engine mock up
Last photo:

Got a chrome plater in your area? Call them and get some prices....

C
Old 12-16-2003, 03:53 PM

I do alot of powder coatingand I have an application called almost chrome.It looks like polished aluminum, and with a clear coat of the powder coat it looks Quit nice. cost effective if you have working parts and a powdercoating shop in your area. It's worth looking into!
Old 12-16-2003, 04:17 PM

I agree with the powdercoating suggestion. There are so many colors (and some textures) available now. On my current car I wanted to avoid extensive use of billet and chrome that I'd used in the past.
I used chromium with clear coat on my valve covers, fan and pulleys. Here's an example of what can be accomplished with a combination of finishes that compliment each other.
http://myweb.cableone.net/rottie3054/DSC00009.JPG
The costs to powdercoat are not much ($65.00 in my case). The turn around time is quick compared to having chrome plating done. The only maintenace is an occasional wipe off with diluted WINDEX or instant detailer.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:53 PM
Kenneth Howard hates me...

Last journal entry: Engine mock up
Last photo:

Eastwood sell a home kit and a rainbow of colors, Bakes in an electric oven. Anyone ever try it? Any boo's/cheers?

C
Old 12-17-2003, 08:39 AM

I've heard that for the do-it-yourselfer, they provide everything you need and produce some pretty good results. The cost of equipment and supplies isn't cheap, so you'd have to use it alot to justify the expense in my opinion.
It'd be cheaper to have a professional shop do it just from that standpoint...plus, using your wifes kitchen oven may not go over well.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:31 PM

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Chrome paint does have it's uses but it is NO substitute for chrome. Nothing is really.
I keep some around for a variety of reasons. It's also sold in paint bottles. You can use it for touch up work, like a chrome chip on a bumper that will rust if you don't do something. The paint won't fix it but will make it a lot less noticeable than a big rust spot.
Chrome paint is based on aluminum and tends to oxidize just like aluminum. This means that what looks bright when you paint it will look more like bright aluminum in about a month. I've discovered this is perfect for touching up the "bright" paint trim on some 70's (more or less) vehicles. I've found it to end up being almost a perfect match for touching up the dash trim on my 82 F150 XLT. A buddy reports nice results doing the same thing on his 69 Camaro.
I discovered accidentally that chrome paint darkens to an "argent" color if you top coat it with clear polyurethane before it has fully dried. This happens as soon as the clear hits it. I used this technique to repaint a set of steel wheels that were argent from the factory (Ford). I once parked the truck next to another that had "correct" wheels and was able to compare. They were almost identical but mine were glossier. I like them. The paint has proved to be surprisingly durable for spray can stuff, still looks good after 3 years of parts hauling duty.
I wouldn't use it to touch up "shiny chrome" interior parts, such as the speedo bezel on my 67 Mustang. It will dull over time and probably look even worse than what you started with. Nor would I try to repaint an entire bumper or anything with it.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.