Hot Rod Forum banner

New compressor advice

8K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  JohnnyK81 
#1 ·
A friend of mine is considering buying this compressor:

http://www.bendpak.com/compressors/air-compressors/LS7580V-601.aspx

He builds car frames and is a general auto restoration type business.

Right now, he has the exact same compressor that I have. A 5hp Sanborn Black Max (two stage) which is 16 cfm at 175 psi and 18 cfm at 100 psi. He's having trouble with it again. Mine however, is working fine since I replaced the motor a couple of years ago.

This Bend Pak can be had delivered for about $2K. Essentially the same price as the Ingersoll Rand 7.5 HP that Tractor Supply has.
However, the Bend Pak has a Baldor motor, 3 cylinders and more cfm.

What do you all think?
I'm very interested in this too in case my compressor kicks the bucket. It's 20 years old.

#5 ·
Apparently you are in need of real industrial type long term performance so for that much money why not get a real industrial duty American built compressor?

I am not familiar with the Bend Pack but that pump looks to be just another brand of the same Chinese import that is currently sold under a couple of other different brand names. Like I said I am not familiar with the Bend Pack in particular but I would bet a ten dollar bill against a stale doughnut that is just another brand of the same China built outfit!

Also before doing business with Eaton check this out just so you know what kind of people you would dealing with and the kind of effort they would go to when someone mentions the fact their compressors are Chinese imports, personally I would not recommend Eaton at all.

www.hotrodders.com/forum/eaton-comp...or-post-143953.html?highlight=eaton+threatens

For the same $2000 this Quincy IMO is a much better buy and don't be put off by the slightly lower performance numbers since these are honest numbers, the actual difference would probably not be nearly so much.

www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200350476_200350476

For a little more money you could get even better performance and in either case have a compressor for a lifetime!

www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200350477_200350477

Going Chinese may be OK in the smaller home shop type outfits but when it gets up to industrial duty compressors in the over $2000 range it is much better to just buy a USA built unit of proven performance and reliability. This 7 1/2 HP unit will IMHO out-perform the Bend Pack and Quincy is well known for building compressors of extremely long life and reliability. Save a few dollars on an import now but what will it be like 4 or 5 years from now?

#6 ·
Thanks for the info oldred. I'll let my friend know what you said here.

And, I am banking this info for when my Sanborn Black Max goes south.

The first Quincy you posted a link for is still a little higher capacity than my Black Max is. (Black Max is 16 cfm @ 175 and that Quincy is 17.2)
And, my Black Max is just the right capacity for me for my pressure blaster and my blasting cabinet.

I do like the fact that the pump on the Eaton turns significantly slower. You would think that would make for less wear and noise.
But, if indeed the pump is lower quality, then that is a concern.
However, sometimes it's not an issue with where a part is made. It's a matter of design specs and QA/QC. If the pumps are built in China to tight specs with good QA/QC, it still may be a good part.

But, I don't know from experience at all. Plus it seems that Quincy is pretty much a no-brainer for proven high quality. And, there is something to be said for buying American when the quality is there.

Just a note:
I recently bought a repro hood for my '55 Bel Air. It was made in Taiwan.
There is also a repro hood available that is made in USA. Cost was not a concern for me. I just wanted the best I could get.
All the research I did gave me answers that the Taiwan part had the better fit of the two.
I've installed it and it does fit really good.

#7 ·
Consider this my Quincy pump is 43 years old, built in '68 and used extensively on on mine service truck duty outdoors, it has NEVER BEEN REBUILT and I still use it today! Those big Chinese pumps do seem to have a somewhat better record for reliability (at least for pump wear) than the common home shop type outfits but this only because they are oversized and turn slower, the overall quality I have seen from them is mediocre at best. There are other things to consider also from tank life to electrics, valves, etc and IMHO they are going to require much more frequent service but that is not really the biggest issue. A few years down the road the thing may still be chugging along but will the performance still be there or will it be degraded to the point of being less than what would be expected of a compressor this size? I ask this based on what is, again JMO, the overall poorer quality of the things like valve QC and design because from what I have seen of the things the quality of these very important parts is best described as crude. If you could compare the really important things like head and valve design and see the astonishing differences in quality between the Chinese built and domestic components it would be easier to understand what I am talking about. When looking at one of those "China specials" after it was torn down my first thought when looking at those crudely built valves and rough castings was they have got to be joking! Numbers on a sales pitch and outward appearances are one thing but the insides that can,t be seen are quite another!

#9 ·
Quincy would be the best, ideally (Well, they were.. I wonder if they've gone downhill).. But checkout the 7.5hp one from Harbor Freight if they still have it.. I bought the 5hp one from there and it's pretty good! The 7.5 has a Baldor motor as well, as well as an ABAC Italian pump (Not Chinese.. Since I think Oldred is going to pop in here and say it is.. :D ) They are the same as Belaire compressors.. For the price, you definitely can't go wrong.. Same compressors.. Different name = Lower price.

#10 ·
JohnnyK81 said:
(Not Chinese.. Since I think Oldred is going to pop in here and say it is.. :D )

You need to be a regular visitor before "popping" in here and "popping off"! :nono:

If you had been here you should have known that I have said REPEATEDLY in several posts, some very recently, that HF pump is Italian and NOT Chinese. I have also repeatedly recommended that compressor, and the 5 HP single stage version, for some time now for general home use but the OP in this thread is talking about spending money for an industrial duty class compressor which the US General is not, great for a home shop but in an everyday full time shop setting it can in no way compete with the industrial duty compressors, however it is not meant to and is priced accordingly. Get your facts straight before "popping off"!

#13 ·
NEW INTERIORS said:
This is the one I just bought last year.... This thing is a beast.... Can out work it,,, I tried.. :sweat: :drunk: And I lost... :mad: :thumbup:
http://www.alltiresupply.com/p-318VLE.html
The only thing wrong with this one, Is I didn't buy it 15 years ago.. :smash: :D
Very nice!

And the Bel Aire name would be cool since I'm presently building a '55 Bel Air Sport Coupe I am planning on keeping for life. Don't know why they spelled it different tho.

But, I like the Quincy name too. Oldred knows why. ;)

Anyway, I wonder if 100% of this one is made in the USA? Is the motor a Baldor?

#14 · (Edited)
roger1 said:
Very nice!

And the Bel Aire name would be cool since I'm presently building a '55 Bel Air Sport Coupe I am planning on keeping for life. Don't know why they spelled it different tho.

But, I like the Quincy name too. Oldred knows why. ;)

Anyway, I wonder if 100% of this one is made in the USA? Is the motor a Baldor?
Not sure if the whole thing is made here,, I think it might be... Oldred might know.... I never had a compressor that would turn off while I was using a DA or something... But this thing will not only cut off... It will sit there and wait for you to catch up with it..... You can out run it for sure.... Speedy deedy had his I think for well over 15 years now... And NEVER had any problem with his....
Yes the motor is a Baldor..

I did talk to someone at belaire and was told by someone there that the US General is also made by belaire and is just a little different in the pumps... He said the US General was a very good compressor, But the belair was a step up from the US General... And would last longer...

#15 ·
The belaire is the exact same as the US General 80 gallon.. The 60 US General is the same as belairs 60 (THe 2 stage one).. They are both made by ABAC compressors I believe.

It might be a step up in name, but the components are all the same (At least the motors and the pumps, which is all that matters). They run fast (RPM wise.. at least the 5hp 2 stages do), but they work.

You'll save about $1000 as well.. But you'll have no warranty.. You have to make that choice yourself.

#16 ·
JohnnyK81 said:
The belaire is the exact same as the US General 80 gallon.. The 60 US General is the same as belairs 60 (THe 2 stage one).. They are both made by ABAC compressors I believe.

It might be a step up in name, but the components are all the same (At least the motors and the pumps, which is all that matters). They run fast (RPM wise.. at least the 5hp 2 stages do), but they work.

You'll save about $1000 as well.. But you'll have no warranty.. You have to make that choice yourself.

I guess the guy at belaire lie to me about the pumps.. :mad: He said the motors where the same motors,, But ''NOT'' the pumps..

Here's their contact ,, You might want to make sure about that pump... :mwink: http://www.belairecompressors.com/contact.html

#17 ·
Well I know the 60 gallon 2 stage Belaire and HF both use the T29s IMC/ABAC compressor pump.

The 80 gallons ones used the B6000 pump.. HOWEVER it looks like the 80 gallon is no longer available from HF.

HF parts breakdown (For both models) http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/93000-93999/93274.pdf

http://www.i90enter.com/air-compressors/

Website.. You'll find the pumps on the LH side. With parts breakdowns.

As I said, there is no real warranty from HF unless you pay for it. I'm sure it's not the case with Belaire.

however I'd be a little upset if I knew they knew they used the same pumps but denied it to try to justify their $1000+ price difference.

#18 ·
Could be HF only gets them is their is overstock of parts or commitments to subs they had to make good on.
Also the possibility HF gets parts that don't quite pass the manufacturer QA.

I wouldn't buy a compressor at HF. The only electric stuff I buy from them is because it costs so little, I throw it away when it quits and don't care.

Some things haven't lasted well at all and some have done pretty well.

#19 ·
I know the smaller single stage/ direct drive compressors they sell are re badged Campbell Hausfeld. I got my compressor ( 90234 IIRC ) on sale for $119. it is a 10 gallon/ rated at 3hp ( in their dreams ). puts out 5.6 SCFM@90 and for a little 110V compressor which is all my shop is wired for. it works hard and just doesn't quit.. I don't see it in there listings anymore tho. But CH may have changed there compressors too.. Havn't checked them at lowes since I bought mine

#20 ·
roger1 said:
Could be HF only gets them is their is overstock of parts or commitments to subs they had to make good on.
Also the possibility HF gets parts that don't quite pass the manufacturer QA.

I wouldn't buy a compressor at HF. The only electric stuff I buy from them is because it costs so little, I throw it away when it quits and don't care.

Some things haven't lasted well at all and some have done pretty well.
I only buy stuff there after intense research.. And this was one of them.

I'm sure a billion other places sell these 2 rebranded compressors as well, not just Belaire and HF.. In fact I know there were 2 more, but I can't remember their names now.

But for $620 or whatever it was after a sale and a coupon, for a 16cfm 2 stage 60 gallon, I took a chance with their reputation and lack of warranty. Either that or pay belaire $1400 for the same one. (I also had them order it in for me as I didn't want the storefront one that has probably been moved and smacked and pawed over. So this one was still in cardboard on a pallet.)

However I don't believe you can use the coupons on their compressors anymore.. But I could be wrong.. Or if you can find a coupon that came out a few months ago and is still good you probably can.

#21 · (Edited)
JohnnyK81 said:
however I'd be a little upset if I knew they knew they used the same pumps but denied it to try to justify their $1000+ price difference.
Mine has the T39 pump on it.. ;)
Well No matter if he lie are not,, Seeing my close friend's belaire work hard for the last 15 years or so By not only him,me and his whole family was enough to sell it to me.... Even if the belaire was $1000.Dollars more, So what... I never seen anything from HF last 15 years... And even if it didn't come with a warranty, That wouldn't have mattered,,, 15 years of me working it...Man I would have gotten my money out of it the first 3 years.... I do buy SOMETHINGS from HF.. But a 1000.00 dollar piece isn't one of them...And I think mine was Only around $1800.00 Dollars SHIPPED.... It has the low oil shut off,Auto water bleeder every time it kick's on and shut's off,,Elite model..7.5 Hp. again.. It's a beast... And if anyone would like to come by and try to kill it... Just let me know when to pick you up at the airport... :D

#22 ·
I'm not disputing they are good compressors at all. And perhaps they were built differently back then with different pumps. But as it stands today, they are the exact same compressors! :D Problem is if you get a dud at HF, you're screwed. I was willing to take that chance for $600 vs. $1600.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.