Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - New door bushings, now misaligned
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 05:36 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Usually the spring is on the bottom hinge I dont think I've ever seen one on the top hinge.
you can get that spring tool at Harbor frieght now for about 5.00

something I forgot to add in my last post is loosening the pillar bolts will not only adjust the up and down position but the back and forth by quite a bit Those older monties usually have pretty wide door to 1/4 gaps and you can close them up a lot but you'll have to slide the fener back some also...
If your working with the hinge still in place and dont have enogh room simply lower the jack ,you can lower the jack quite a bit and make lots of room when it comes time to do the bushings
on the older cars you can get a little up and down from the door side but not much....
You can still remove the complete hinge without removing the door just do one at a time,I do it all the time when the hinge is so worn out it needs welding and painting...
just lower the jack a little until you have enough room to slip it out...I used to use a floor jack but using a sissor jack like the ones that come in the trunk of some cars works much better and is way easier to move around to get it into position
If your removing the hinge or just rebuldingthem with the door on theres a good chance of chipping the paint so before you start put some masking tape on the fender edge and door edge 3-4 layers will o the trick...if you remove the door tape all the edges on the door and the jambs...
one last thing ...if your removing the hinge,use some tape to outline where the hinge is before removing it this will get you a good starting point when you put it back on...you can also use a marker on the tape to get it even closer ....