Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - New door bushings, now misaligned
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by david-b View Post
I don't have the right size hex (forget the proper name) to get the striker off. Anyone know the size offhand? I will have to pick one up and check that out.

The door will close on its own with the striker in place. If I pick up the door as it closes, its smoother, which makes me think the striker isn't causing the problem, but will still check out and remove.

The gap is tighter at the bottom than the top in the front. The top looks a little big compared to the other side. Feels that if the whole door is tilted towards the front of the car, it'll all match up good.
I can't make it clear enough, you adjust the door THEN the striker to the door. If the door is fitting as it should closed then you would of course adjust the door to where the striker is, it is after all fitting when the door is latched. So you would want to be sure to get down at eye level and see if the door is being pushed up or down, then adjust the door at the cowl to make it hit the striker perfect.

So adjusting the door to fit the striker is perfectly normal, and very common. The door sagged, you correct the sagging door and the it fits perfect. This is very common. Not every door is the same of course. But making the door fit, to the striker, beautiful, or move the striker to make it fit the door. But the fit of the DOOR is what is most important. Moving the striker to then fit the door to complete the alignment if needed.

Brian