New door bushings, now misaligned - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2013, 07:51 AM
Dave is THAT guy

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

New door bushings, now misaligned

Hey all;
The doors on my 75 Monte have never closed right because of worn out bushings in the hinges. So bought some and finally got around to installing them yesterday. Pulled the door, pulled hinges, popped the pins out, replaced bushings, installed new pins and reinstalled door. When opening and closing the door, it feels so much better, smoother and quiet

Problem is now, the door sits a 1/2in too low. None of the lines match up, and the window doesn't sit flush to the top. I tried loosening the bolts on the door and use a jack to see if it'll slide up some, but there's no give. I've seen panels where the holes for the bolts are move ovals so you can slide them along the bolt, but these do not.

So the question, how do I align these doors? Feels like it's something easy that I'm missing. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 08:29 AM
Dave is THAT guy

Last photo:

For some reason, I can't edit my post... but I just wanted to add that it's a half inch across the entire door, from where the hinge is all the way to the back. It's not just the back, it's the whole door being low.

Again, thanks.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:42 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,122 Times in 997 Posts
The hinges on those doors move a LOT, both on the body and on the door. Did you remove the hinges off the door to install the bushings? If you didn't, than there is a good possibility the hinges are simply "stuck" to the door. These doors were painted at the factory with the hinges bolted to the doors and aligned. So there us usually a build up of paint along the edges, that and they were bolted to the body and the door with no primer and between the hinge and the door and the body they will get rusted and stuck. So it is very common for these hinges to need a good whack with a hammer or something to get loose once all the bolts are loose. But believe me, those suckers move a LOT so you should have no problem moving the door up.

I can't see how you could actually assemble the hinge wrong but it may be possible to put the hinge on the door under the hinge on the body instead of inside of it where it belongs, I guess that could be possible. Look at the other door and make sure you have the hinges assembled correctly.

The hinges on the body will move a LOT up and down and forward and back too, so if you don't get all you need out of the door side loosen the bolts to the hinges on the body as well.

This all sounds odd though, it really sounds as if you have the hinges assembled wrong, can't imagine this but for the door to be that low? I don't know, sounds odd, post some photos.

Brian
Old 05-06-2013, 08:54 AM
Dave is THAT guy

Last photo:

Thanks for the response!
The doors were taken off with the hinges still connected to the body, and then hinges were taken off the body.

What do you mean "put the hinge on the door under the hinge on the body instead of inside of it"?

Top hinge has the spring and locking part (closed, half, full) with the roller, spring faces inside the door. The bolt patterns on the doors and the body are different, so they only fit on one way. The hinges could only really be assembled one way. The bushings got pressed in where they belonged, and the pins through the holes then. Pins had the little grooves at the top of them where they fit into the part on the hinge with the groves. Everything went together great and I feel it really couldn't be assembled improperly. I was comparing them to the other side the whole time.

We bolted the hinge on the body right where it came off from. You could tell where the paint was and ended. Was in installed in the same place.

I didn't take an pics of it after assembled back in, was pretty pissed at that time haha. I may go back to the garage tonight and see what's going on again. Door is still on the car at the moment.

Again thanks.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:21 AM

Last photo:

My tossing ideas about the hinges being assembled wrong was just a toss in the dark I didn't think it was possible but with all the info you have given it sounded like a possibility.

You simply need to move the door up on the body and hinges, there is PLENTY of adjustment on these doors. I have often joked about the era we are talking about having so much adjustment in doors and fenders and what not that you could darn near bolt them on upside down!

Post photos of the hinges to be sure. But being you bolted the hinge on right where it came off I will bet you are off a bit, simply raise the door at the cowl by raising the hinges with it.

Brian
Old 05-06-2013, 09:34 AM
boatbob2

Hinges

Hi, in the past, i have loosened all the hinge bolts,then using a motorcycle jack,jacked the door up,then tightened the bolts...
Old 05-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Dave is THAT guy

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
My tossing ideas about the hinges being assembled wrong was just a toss in the dark I didn't think it was possible but with all the info you have given it sounded like a possibility.

You simply need to move the door up on the body and hinges, there is PLENTY of adjustment on these doors. I have often joked about the era we are talking about having so much adjustment in doors and fenders and what not that you could darn near bolt them on upside down!

Post photos of the hinges to be sure. But being you bolted the hinge on right where it came off I will bet you are off a bit, simply raise the door at the cowl by raising the hinges with it.

Brian
I appreciate the toss in the dark, alot of times those are the ones that will solve the problems

It just seemed like when installed, the holes are all cut out and everything fits perfectly together. Clearly, I was wrong haha.

This almost seems like I have to take the fenders off to make this happen. The only way was able to get the bolts on the body were by taking off the door, bc fender is in the way. I love how these little projects turn into multiple days worth of work and aggravation.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:47 AM

Last photo:

I still find it hard to believe that the door won't go up on the hinges as it was before the new bushings. That door DOES move around a lot when you loosen up all those bolts, up, down, in, out, it moves A LOT. So are you telling me it DOES move a lot but just doesn't go up enough?

Brian
Old 05-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Dave is THAT guy

Last photo:

Quote:
I still find it hard to believe that the door won't go up on the hinges as it was before the new bushings. That door DOES move around a lot when you loosen up all those bolts, up, down, in, out, it moves A LOT. So are you telling me it DOES move a lot but just doesn't go up enough?

Brian
The only bolts I have backed out when it was all back together were the 6 (3 per hinge) on the door side. I didn't take them all the way out. I loosened those and then used a jack to try to lift the whole door up. When I did that, the whole car was going up. Door did not move.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:14 PM

Last photo:

Something doesn't sound right, about the only thing I can think is that your hinges are mounted to the cowl at extreme opposite locations, one is all the way up while the other is all the way down, something goofy like that. The holes in those hinges are about a half an inch, with a 5/16" bolt that door should move all over. It's either that or it's still stuck to the door or you didn't loosen all the bolts and there is one hiding in there tight. But this all sounds very odd.

Brian
Old 05-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Dave is THAT guy

Last photo:

Quote:
Something doesn't sound right, about the only thing I can think is that your hinges are mounted to the cowl at extreme opposite locations, one is all the way up while the other is all the way down, something goofy like that. The holes in those hinges are about a half an inch, with a 5/16" bolt that door should move all over. It's either that or it's still stuck to the door or you didn't loosen all the bolts and there is one hiding in there tight. But this all sounds very odd.

Brian
Is that even possible though to do extreme up and down? I'm 100% sure on the body it was in the exact location that they came off. Had someone else with me and all work was double checked. I get what you're saying thought and will check that all out as well.

I'm for sure going to go to the garage this evening and going to loosen them all up on the door-side. Probably take out 1 on each hinge entirely so it's on there by 2 each. Wish those bolts were easier to get to. But I pretty much (assuming the body-mounted side is good) have to worry about those then?
Old 05-06-2013, 01:32 PM

Last photo:

Those hinge to cowl bolts are hard to get with the door on, but in 27 and a half seconds you could have the door off and get to them easy. Don't worry about where they "were", that isn't working for you right? Just loosen them up and see where they are. Like I said, SOMETHING is amiss here, those doors move all over the place and I have changed bushings in them had a HUGE pile of them off and they simply move ALL OVER, something is goofy here.

Brian
Old 05-06-2013, 04:18 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

how is the gap to the rocker? Is it equally small all around? If so, mess with the hinges on the door side and try to raise it again and check the in and out movement to make sure it's not stuck and is actually moving. I wouldn't move past that til I know they both move, as you need both loose to raise it. New bushings should raise the door in the back if anything, not lower it. You must have altered something along the way. If it's your hinges to the cowl it would probably alter the gap to the quarter.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:45 PM

Last photo:

When replacing hinge bushings by removing the hinge from the door as well as the car, you get all kinds of misalignment when you put it back together.
I would start with the bolts on the pillar, loosen them, and with the aid of a floor jack, 2x4 and a towel.
I would jack the door up, and tighten the bolts.
Then check it, you'll probably have one or the other or both slide for or aft. Once the height is right the sag, and tilt will be easy to fix, one hinge at a time.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:08 PM
Dave is THAT guy

Last photo:

Got out to the garage today, and Brian you were right. Loosened the bolts on the door and used a jack to pick up the door. It moved up! Tightened up and it was sticking out, so repeated but pushing in the top at the mirror and retightened. Fits so much better! The door is titled some still, at the back of the door its about a 1/4in low, so not perfect yet. Was doing by myself so was hard to do. But the loosening the bolts and repositioning worked! Pics attached. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130506_184124_568.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	73806   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130506_191712_996.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	73807  

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.