Hot Rod Forum banner

New door seals and now......

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  30desoto 
#1 ·
I installed new door seals on my six six Impala. And not I can not get the bottom of either door flush with the body for nothing. I have moved the striker in, out, up and down with no luck. The top of both doors are good. But both bottoms are out about 1/8 of an inch. Seals fit great. No issues :confused:

Dave

#2 ·
black66

Questions, what type of seals are they, the original or are they the newer style that collapse and push the air out when the door closes. The older original door seals collapsed also but put more pressure on the door and if you installed them correctly you should be able to put a dollar bill in between the door and seal an barely pull the bill out when the door is closed all the way. There are adjustments on the door hinge that can be done by lossening the lower hinge and bringing the door in about a 16th of an inch and tighten and check your clearance. You don't want to move the door on the hinge to much because this can change the top and side clearances also. If this is the new collapsable soft style seal you need to make sure that your seals at the bottom of the door have openings at both ends for the air to escape when the door closes on them, adjusting the door latch will not bring in the bottom of the door enough to give you the proper clearance. Also the new seal will start to give more as it is used more and adjustment my need to be done again at a later time because you will notice that the bottom door clearance will start to be closer.

Good Luck, an hopefully someone else may chime in here and give you more than I have mentioned. :thumbup:
30dee

#3 ·
Thanks

Thanks desoto. My drivers door needs a new set of hinge pins. So once I install those I will attem the adjustment on the hinges. And about the adjustment of the lower hinge....... Both my doors are out more on the bottom then top so I am going to work on the inward adjustment. How does the door adjust for in and out? Visually I do not see anything for that type of adjustment???? Thanks.....
Dave

#4 ·
black66

Those hinges don't have a lot of movement for adjustment, but you should be able to get enough, loosen the lower hinge bolts on the post side, not the door, there should be about 1/8'' of an inch movement probably max, the holes in the hinge should be just a little enlongated enough to get some movement. The 66 chevy may not line up at the bottom of the door perfect, the door may be out a little but should not be more than 1/16 th of an inch maximum. And the new seals will hold the door out just a little but will wear in as you use the door more and more, hope this helps. I am sure that you can get the adjustment you need.

30dee
Rick :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.