New to the drag strip - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2009, 03:10 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

New to the drag strip

How would you launch a 580 hp Camaro with a Moser rearend 4.10 gears. I have street radial Drag slicks. I am open to suggestion I have yet to get a good 60 ft time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2009, 03:43 PM
boatbob2

engine ??

Hi,need more info,what engine? height of tires? trans? converter? drag strip times? 1/8 or 1/4 ?speed? weight of complete car?
Old 09-06-2009, 03:51 PM
More for Less Racer

Also, size of tire, what rear suspension, springs, shocks, traction devices??How old or new are the parts?? Same for the front. Year of car?? Current 60' time??
Old 09-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

You will more then likely eat the street slicks up JMO. Cole
Old 09-06-2009, 06:10 PM

Last photo:

car description

All of this car is pretty new none of these parts have any miles on them maybe 1500 miles since it was put together.A 1980 z -28 with P275 75 r 15 Rear tires, Mickey thompson Street drag radials 26 inches tall. Estimate weight at 3800 lbs.
A Bill Mitchell Hardcore engine 427 small block with 585 hp 590 torque. Peak torque at 4700 rpm. A moser engineering rear end, 4.10 gears with a detroit ltrue track locker. A muncie M22 (rockcrusher) with a competion plus shifter. I have been running at Thunder Valley in Bristol TN 1/4 mile and may race some on 1/8 mile track at Cherokee Speedway Rodgersville.
I have left to easy and hooked up and bogged down and I have left to hard and spun in two gears. I wonder what is the proper way to heat the tires, and then what rpm to dump the clutch at. I have frame connecters on the car.
2.193 is my best 60 ft time ran 13.406 @105.91 for my best 1/4 mile. I had trouble with the shifter when I bought the car but have it working right now. The car has Hedits Control Arms with urethane bushings on the front, The rear end has leaf springs with Kyb Gas shocks front and rear.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:13 PM
More for Less Racer

No traction bars of any kind on the rear?? How old are the rear springs??

A stick shift makes this a lot harder to do than an automatic, especially with Drag Radials. With a stick the ET Street Wrinkle wall type tire seems to work best. Do you have an adjustable racing clutch like the McCleod Soft-Loc or is it just a street/strip clutch??

The KYB shocks are not helping on the rear.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:22 AM

Last photo:

It has some control arms on the rear end and the springs are new, It tracks straight. I think it is a triple disk clutch but I have not found the reciet.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:48 PM

Last photo:

Is there a reason you are running such a small tire? You should be able to fit a 28x9 or 28x10.5 slick or comparable drag radial(275/60/15 at least), which would greatly increase traction and allow you to launch at a reasonable rpm without bog.

Last edited by FmrStrtracer; 09-07-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:37 PM

Last photo:

everything looks stock on the car original rims I haven't enlarged the wheel well. This tire rubs if you corner really hard with them. You may have the answer to the problem.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:40 PM

Last photo:

Ride down the track@ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox-Pl-OKTvg
Old 09-07-2009, 08:47 PM

Last photo:

I checked and the tire is a 275 60R15!
Old 09-07-2009, 09:29 PM
More for Less Racer

What exactly is the traction device you are using and who/what company made them??

Most of your description so far matches a road race type suspension and driveline and not a drag set up.

There are people running mid-7 second 1/4 mile @ 170+ mph on the same tire you have, the tire is not the problem.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:33 AM

Last photo:

Just a detroit locker in the rearend, no traction control devices. I have a line lock but I have not been using it. The tires get sticky when I do a burnout in 2nd gear and just spin till they grab. What RPM should I be leaving at?
Old 09-08-2009, 01:08 PM

Last photo:

What makes you say the engine makes 585hp. Are you sure the car weighs 3800lbs at race weight. Your 1/4 mile trap speed indicates about 380-400HP.

As far as launch rpm, you need to go to a test and tune session and practice launching at different rpms and tire pressures until you find the right balance of no-spin and no bog.

Also learning to feather the clutch to maintain traction is important, and some form of traction bar on the rear to prevent spring wrap is neccesary.

For drag use, a 90/10 front shock, a 50/50 rear shock, and no front stabilizer bar, will help plant the tires.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:46 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drywallmudman
Just a detroit locker in the rearend, no traction control devices. I have a line lock but I have not been using it. The tires get sticky when I do a burnout in 2nd gear and just spin till they grab. What RPM should I be leaving at?
When I asked about traction device on the rear I was meaning Slapper Bars, Calvert Racing Cal-tracs, Competition Engineering Slide-a-link or ???

I agree with Fmrstrtracer's post, that is why I was asking about the entire package of parts on the car, like the clutch and suspension. Be very specific(brands/type/part #'s) about what you say because so far alot of your part descriptions don't add up to being good choices for drag strip use or are too vague(like "triple disk clutch", or "control arm").

He is right about the amount of power you appear to be making, you appear to be at least -150hp from the 580 mark. Do you have the exact parts bolted to the engine(header size, carb, fuel system, exhaust, air filter, etc) that Mitchell dynos with or suggests for installation?? Is it a Mitchell short block, long block, or complete engine??

You are leaving a lot on the table somewhere, either a lot of little places are just a few big ones, but somewhere.

What RPM are you shifting at, it seemed awful low in the vid?? There is no one who will be able to tell you what the "correct" rpm to leave at is. Every car/combo is different, you have to experiment to find it.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.