New Drums Won't Slide On... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2003, 06:50 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post New Drums Won't Slide On...

Continuing story of my '90 Jeep Cherikee (Tow car to my son's "HotRod" RX7 T2). Thanks for all of your help on this three month Brake install ordeal. Found lots of cracks in my Flares, replaced the Combination Valve, mainly found that there was nothing, absolutely nothing, left of the Pads and Shoes, and the Rear Wheel Cylinders were leaking and blown out. No wonder I couldn't get this thing to bleed.

So everything is now new and I am down to replacing the rear Shoes and Drums. I eliminated the Rear Self-Adjusting Parts. Way too many parts to reassemble so I'll do the adjusting with the Star Adjuster and a Spoon.

The big deal now is that I have installed new Shoes, but the new Drums won't fit over them. Even the old Drums (very old and scored) won't fit over the new shoes. The Star Adjuster is adjusted all of the way in. Any ideas on this?
They should fit. They are the same size as the originals, except that they actually have shoe material instead of just steel.

Thanks, Bob

(Maybe if I smear some grease on them they will slide on better...Ha!)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2003, 07:01 PM

Loosen up your emergency brake cable and the shoes will collapse more and then the drums will go on.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:19 AM

I'll do the updates on this Thread since the other got too long.

I got the new Rear Drums on. I had the Adjuster mounted in the wrong location and is was pushing the Shoes out too far. (NOTE IN FUTURE: Only take one side apart at a time so you can see how they go back on!!!)

So everything is now new on this car. Pads, Shoes, Lines, MC, Combo Valve, Emerg Brk Cable, Drums, Whl Cyl's, etc. No leaks and when doing a two-man bleed, I get lots of good, clear, no-bubble squirts.

PROBLEM: The Pedal still goes right to the floor. I get some slight brake action and can stop the car with enough room, but no normal lock up or hard pedal. I can see the return squirts in the MC so I know that both Chambers are working. If I had any Air in the Lines, I would be able to pump them up. During Bleeding, the squirts were pretty good so I know that the MC is working well.

So what's the problem? I did a Bench Bleed of the MC plus an in-car bleed with the Temp Flex Tubes back into the Chambers. No air at all.

If I had some air in the lines, wouldn't I be able to pump them up? Does this seem to be more of an "air in the MC" problem and that's why, even with the lines clear, I am not getting much Pedal.

About ready (for the fourth time) to donate the car to the SPCA.

So everything is new and I can't see any leaks. Third MC (2 AutoZone's plus the original).

BNOTE: With the engine OFF, it feels like I have Pedal Pressure and can really stand on it. That's how I tested for Leaks. With it ON, the Pedal goes right to the floor.

Ideas?

Thanks, Bob/Turbo2Sam
Old 04-17-2003, 05:33 AM

Just read on another HR's Brake
Thread about the "button" on the front of the Conditioning Valve and that there is some type of Pin inside of it to allow for proper Bleeding. (Push the Pin to allow it to go into the 50/50 mode instead of the normal 70/30 mode). Is this a myth or something that I should look into.

Also, on another, I read that I should adjust the new Rear Shoes a bit tighter. I'll try that too and let you know. Thanks, Bob/Turbo2Sam

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.