new dupli-color paint system - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2009, 10:26 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

new dupli-color paint system

Has anyone out there used the new dupli-color paint system so many of the weekend cars shows have highlighted? It seems like the old lacquer paints jobs with a clear coat on top. They mention the ease of painting with excellent results. What is the real story? Durability? Looks? Cost?
Thanks, Joe

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2009, 11:36 AM

Last photo:

There's been alot already discussed on this product-do a search and I'm sure your questions will be answered.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:40 PM

Last photo:

Simple, quick answer- it's not durable like today's products, and it comes pre-reduced to "avoid user error" ie it's geared towards morons. It's not such a good deal; reducer is cheap and if you want to paint I hope you're not afraid of measuring and mixing.

On the plus side, it could be used for practice shooting (shoot a subwoofer box or something), but shooting thiis stuff isn't going to be the same as shooting urethane SS or BC/CC.

Somebody actually brought me some of it to shoot a mirror. They told me they had bought "professional paint" and all I had to do was prep and shoot. It looked real nice but I warned him it wasn't the right stuff. He didn't care because it was a send your kid to college beater Honda. It even matched the red on the Honda pretty good too.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:51 AM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatnlow
Has anyone out there used the new dupli-color paint system so many of the weekend cars shows have highlighted? It seems like the old lacquer paints jobs with a clear coat on top. They mention the ease of painting with excellent results. What is the real story? Durability? Looks? Cost?
Thanks, Joe

As far as I know I'm the only one that bought some and tested it out and posted my results. I ask the same question and did not like the answer I was getting so I found out for my self.

I shot a test panel, set it out side for well its going on two years this August.

First before all the pro's get all up in arms. It not something your want to paint your custom car with.

I like the primer, the paint and clear where ok. If your a first timer and want to play around and shoot a beater or a off road truck buggy bike you can shoot it real easy in your garage. Real cheap to do, don't need to know much. If you need to do a repair or a touch up real simple to do!

Last There are higher end Laquer out there if your thinking of going old school I would look at going with them and the UV additive you can get now.

Craig
Old 02-25-2009, 08:06 AM

Check this one out as I asked the question some time ago theres 2 pages worth of advice here.

dupli color paint shop
Old 02-25-2009, 10:47 AM

Thanks guys, I knew I would get a correct answer on this board. I think it would probably work on a daily driver, but not on my car. Appreciate the help. Thanks again. Joe
Old 02-25-2009, 11:15 AM

I bought a can of the stuff out of the budget bin at the local parts store so my 12 year old could use it to practice with his new air brush that I got him for his birthday It works great for that.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatnlow
Thanks, Joe
Not very durable
it is a Acrylic lacquer
very expensive for a Poor quality paint (compared to enamel or urethane)
It is 23.00 a quart...Already thinned...that is 92.00 sprayable gallon.
It is already thinned...It takes bare minimum One more coat to cover that a good Enamel.
Looks good on Tv....Good for the Shows rating..Like hotrod with the 500.00 500HP 350 chevy

I have used this stuff...VERY poor Coverage (dup the Public..Sorry duplicolor)
3-4 coats to cover....

Enamel is what $70.00 a gallon and you add your hardner and reducer

You get 1.5 gallons Sprayable
Covers in 1-2 coats

But all the guys looking to save a Buck think it is Great..till they use it
This thread is like the thread..Spray vs Roll
52F1
Old 02-26-2009, 11:57 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52F1
But all the guys looking to save a Buck think it is Great..till they use it:

That's the clincher, it is NOT cheap! It may look cheap until you consider how much you will have to buy and you will have to buy a lot because not only is it already reduced it has very poor coverage. I can say this from experience now since the previous thread because I have used it (owner supplied) to paint several antique tractor parts, not been on there long enough to comment on how long it will last except to say it is just Lacquer, it smells like Lacquer, sprays like Lacquer, covers (or not) like Lacquer and the manufacturer says it is Lacquer so it must be LACQUER! The manufacturer does not claim this to be any kind of "new and improved" Lacquer formulation they just say it is Lacquer and the pitfalls of using that junk are well known.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:59 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

red , you know your wasting your time . let them use it along with magic rust killer . there is no point in trying to help anymore.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:51 PM

Last photo:

Ya buy Cheap---- Ya get cheap
When are these guys gonna learn Shine?
I guess never
Old 02-26-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da34guy
Ya buy Cheap---- Ya get cheap
When are these guys gonna learn Shine?
I guess never
I think you left out the Most common word....JUNK

52F1
Old 02-28-2009, 01:42 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Same old stuff. bashing
What I like about you guy's is you never reviewed the vids to see what there saying. How about a fair review of the product or is that below you? Tell me whats wrong with there statements or claims.

Watch the paint shop one I think the power block did the best job in showing the product When they paint the Bronco

http://www.duplicolor.com/TV/index.html

Craig
Old 02-28-2009, 02:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Same old stuff. bashing
What I like about you guy's is you never reviewed the vids to see what there saying.

http://www.duplicolor.com/TV/index.html

Craig

Watch those goofy sales videos, SALES VIDEOS? You have got to be kidding, what do you expect them to say? Think about it, THEY ARE TRYING TO SELL PAINT, hell they would claim it would improve the weather if they thought it would increase sales!

Quote:
How about a fair review of the product or is that below you?

Chevy the dang stuff is lacquer! Some of us learned to spray with lacquer years ago, used it for years and we ALREADY KNOW what it is and how well it works (or not), and I personally have used the Dupli-Color (owner supplied) since this came up the last time so I know first hand it is the same old junk, and over reduced at that! You have had a bunch of pros here that have MANY YEARS of combined experience weigh in on it so what more do you want?

Quote:
Tell me whats wrong with there statements or claims.

You have been told repeatably but it will not sink in because it is not what you want to hear, no matter what anyone says you just continue to make those ridiculous unsubstantiated claims that this is somehow some kind of "new and improved" product from a well known supplier of low quality paint.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:16 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Watch those goofy sales videos, SALES VIDEOS? You have got to be kidding, what do you expect them to say? Think about it, THEY ARE TRYING TO SELL PAINT, hell they would claim it would improve the weather if they thought it would increase sales!

Chevy the dang stuff is lacquer! Some of us learned to spray with lacquer years ago, used it for years and we ALREADY KNOW what it is and how well it works (or not), and I personally have used the Dupli-Color (owner supplied) since this came up the last time so I know first hand it is the same old junk, and over reduced at that! You have had a bunch of pros here that have MANY YEARS of combined experience weigh in on it so what more do you want?

You have been told repeatably but it will not sink in because it is not what you want to hear, no matter what anyone says you just continue to make those ridiculous unsubstantiated claims that this is somehow some kind of "new and improved" product from a well known supplier of low quality paint.
Well you know its Old School Why is that even a question? The stuff work just like they say. Its cheap there know question there! The panel I painted has not chip peeled or flake of yet!! In the hot AZ sun So I fine you stament to be false.

But you did not give a review all you did was more bashing!!
I should not have of expected much else!

Craig

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.