New end caps on 9" Ford - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2009, 12:04 PM
Takes Guts To Cut One Up

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

New end caps on 9" Ford

Guys:
I have a narrowed Ford 9" rearend In my 32 coupe that I need to put new end caps on, I am not changing the width just changing the end cap. I have read numerous post stating the pros and cons of using or not using an alignment bar for rearend narrowing and my question is. Since I already have the axles cut to length can I use the axles for my alignment bar? In other words put in my new center section and after verifying and adjusting for the correct flange width put the end caps on the axles with the new bearings, insert the axles in the housing and center section and align the housing to the end cap and tack in place. Then remove the axles and slowly weld by alternating my weld from side to side and end to end. All of the brackets are already welded to the housing so there should be no additional warpage. Opinions?

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A T 25
Guys:
I have a narrowed Ford 9" rearend In my 32 coupe that I need to put new end caps on, I am not changing the width just changing the end cap. I have read numerous post stating the pros and cons of using or not using an alignment bar for rearend narrowing and my question is. Since I already have the axles cut to length can I use the axles for my alignment bar? In other words put in my new center section and after verifying and adjusting for the correct flange width put the end caps on the axles with the new bearings, insert the axles in the housing and center section and align the housing to the end cap and tack in place. Then remove the axles and slowly weld by alternating my weld from side to side and end to end. All of the brackets are already welded to the housing so there should be no additional warpage. Opinions?

No.. you can't use the axles to line it up...I have the tool to do them..And the way it's made..Is the shaft goes through two collar's that bolt to the center section..If you try to do it with the axle, It will only be through one side of the center section..When a axle is in the center section it has a little play..towards the end...So I wouldn't do it like that..If you were a little closer,I would help you out..I'm set up to narrow 9''...Good luck..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

What Dan says is the best way to do it, as the full-length bar will locate both ends perfectly. However, using the axles will work as long as your axle tubes are not bent. Think about it, you are using the axle's splined end as the primary location point. Once that end is "located", the only possible misalignment will be concentrically around the axle's diameter. As long as the tube and the end to be welded are concentric (lined up with each other), there cannot be any misalignment...

My 2

Russ
Old 08-22-2009, 02:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10xGN
However, using the axles will work as long as your axle tubes are not bent. Think about it, you are using the axle's splined end as the primary location point. Once that end is "located", the only possible misalignment will be concentrically around the axle's diameter. As long as the tube and the end to be welded are concentric (lined up with each other), there cannot be any misalignment...

My 2�

Russ
Have you ever done it this way ????

Believe me...It won't take long to know if it work's are not.. I just hope your not to far from home when it let's you know..
Old 08-22-2009, 02:54 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
Have you ever done it this way ????

Believe me...It won't take long to know if it work's are not.. I just hope your not to far from home when it let's you know..
Yes, and it's working perfectly. I think you're missing some basic engineering here. And you're right, you'll know real quick if it's not aligned. Just feel for any binding as you go...

Russ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0223s.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	40191   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0224s.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	40192   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0228s.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	40193  
Old 08-22-2009, 03:06 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10xGN
I think you're missing some basic engineering here.

Russ
No !!!! I don't think I'm missing anything.. I just believe in telling someone to do it the right way, the first time..And with the tool's that is made to do it right..
Old 08-22-2009, 04:32 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

The problem with using the axle's to hold it straight is, There is play in the splines between the axle spline and side gear spline. If it's off, it will put stress on the side gear in the case and tear them up. It might be cheaper in the long run to make sure and do it the right way.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.