new engine break in - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2003, 07:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post new engine break in

Ok, this weekend I will be putting my new GM Goodwrench 350 in my truck and I don't know what I should do to break it in. All I know is that I have to prime the oil system, then I have heard to use regular 10w-30 oil for the first 500 miles. After that I can switch to synthetic. Another question is that the good synthetic oils and high quality filter say to change every 7000 miles... Is this the way it should be done or should I still make changes every 3000 miles? By the way what is the best synthetic oil to use. I have heard that quakerstate is a good one. Thanks guys

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2003, 07:37 PM
Suspended

make sure to change your oil filter after the first few hours you run it. All the extra lube from the cam and things like that will plug it up and if you dont change it you will have unfiltered oil.
Old 03-19-2003, 07:42 PM

My opinion.....I wouldnt use Quackerstate in anything. I use only Castrol oil in all my cars and trucks. To me...there is no other oil to use. However, in a synthetic, although I believe they are really for higher temps, I have heard and read good reports on Mobile 1. Just my opinion...
Old 03-19-2003, 08:37 PM

Here is a copy of the paper that I got with my Goodwrench 350:

RECOMMENDED CRATE ENGINE START-UP PROCEDURE
Check

1. SAFETY FIRST! If the car is on the ground, be sure the emergency brake is set, the wheels are chocked, and the transmission cannot fall into gear.

2. Be sure to check the oil level in the engine and prime the oil system

3. Run the engine between 2,000 and 2,500 RPMs, with no-load on the engine for the first 30 min.

4. Adjust the distributor timing roughly by hand for a quick start up and smoothest idle possible.

5. Adjust the carburetor settings, if necessary.

6. After the first 30 minutes of the engine running, set the ignition timing (see install ignition section for timing specifications).

7. Drive the vehicle with varying speeds and loads on the engine for the first 30 miles. Be sure not to use a lot of throttle or high RPM.

8. Run five or six medium-throttle accelerations to about 5,000 RPM (55 to 60 MPH), then letting off in gear and coasting back down to 20 MPH.

9. Run a couple hard-throttle accelerations up to about 5000 RPM (55 to 60 MPH), then letting off in gear and coasting back down to 20 MPH.

10. Change the oil and filter with 10w30SG oil and PF1218 AC Delco oil filter (PN 251605610

11. Drive the next 500 miles normally, without high RPM's (below 5,000 RPM), hard use, or extended periods of high loading.

12. Change the oil and oil filter again.

13. Your engine is now ready for many happy cruising miles!
Old 03-20-2003, 04:07 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Personal preference (mostly $$, then advertised hype) for which synthetic you want to use, *tom_scott* mentioned Castrol, I say go for it- they've been around forever.
But like any other competent engine builder will tell 'ya, break that thing and run it until the first (2000 mile) oil change with "Pennsylvania grade" regular motor oil, then let it sit and drip overnight at the first oil change.
Oh yeah, don't forget the oil filter change at 500 miles. Should only have to change the filter at this point.
Then just fill it back up to normal level with the synthetic of your choice, and Fram filter.
As far as the intervals (mileage) go follow the oil bottle according to YOUR driving conditions.
Just remember to keep an extra quart with you in the trunk (car), or under/behind the seat(truck) just for good measure.
REMEMBER it's a crate engine, don't toast it because it's got a warrantee.

[ March 20, 2003: Message edited by: M&M CUSTOM ]</p>
Old 03-20-2003, 04:20 AM
Slider in Wa.

Last photo:

The break in proceedure is right on. It was well stated. I do not use Fram oil filters as i have heard that you can not buy a better filter than the NAPA "Gold" brand. I also run nothing but Mobil 1 in everything i own.(15-50weight) You can run synthetic oil longer between changes, up to the 7000 miles you speak of. I still change mine at 3500 the half way point . I have had great luck this way. Good luck, let us know what you decide.
Slider in Wa.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:32 AM

Mobile 1 all the way. Nothing but good things said.
[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/monte_ss/carBIG.jpg[/img][img]http://www.boomspeed.com/monte_ss/subsBIG.jpg[/img]
Old 03-20-2003, 05:32 PM

I've heard many good things about mobile 1 as well and after the first 2000 miles I will run it in my engine.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:13 AM

so during the 500 miles is it okay to take it on the highway? thanks
Old 03-26-2003, 09:29 AM

For the first two engines that I had rebuilt, the guy suggested highway miles but never staying at a constant speed for a long time and also not to go above 65 in my vehicle. For at the first 500 miles.

I drove mine 240 miles round trip and then changed the oil at these times 240, 500, 1000 Well thats all the miles I have on this engine.
Old 03-26-2003, 12:14 PM

Last photo:

I think Mobile 1 is a waste of money in a most hotrods since you should change oil once a year regradless of mileage. Mobile 1 is great because of extend oil life and MOST hotrods will not benfit from any extend mileage. I cars that I drive daily is a different story.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.