Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - New Engine build, is cam gear one tooth off?
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2003, 02:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Follow up, and a thanks

Thanks to those that posted a reply, here's some follow-up info. Today instead of using my timing light with the inductor clamp, I got out my 25 yr old timing light that clamps on an inline spring between the plug wire an the spark plug, got another battery for an isolated 12 volt source, the timing results were the same. The damper is new and so is the timing cover and tab, could be the wrong tab. The timing indicates 23 deg without vacuum, but the engine starts good, idles about as expected with this cam, runs smooth at 3000 RPM (no load) and awsome throttle response. I have never built an engine with the cam gear off and I double checked this one before bolting on the timing cover, but since Im not as perfect as I was when I was 18; D , mistakes do happen. Several months before I get the body back on the frame and get this puppy driveable, think I'll leave it like it is and fine tune the timing after driving it. Many thanks