New Engine burns oil - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2007, 05:47 AM
Dominators Hot Rod Club

Last journal entry: On the run
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

New Engine burns oil

Built 3 years ago by a reputable company, my 427hp, 350 SBC shows blue smoke after about a minute at idle. Lots of oily film on the tail pipe, especially on the right side. Only about 200 miles on the motor as I just finished the car and started driving.

Will do a compression test today and anything else suggested by you guys.

Thanks, Animal

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2007, 07:35 AM

Last photo:

Noticable smoke and an oily pipe is a LOT of oil being passed. A compression test may not show much if some of the oil rings have gone south. But the plugs should show which cylinder is bad. It could also be a valve stem/seal problem but with it passing that much oil, I don't think so.

This may be worth a shot too. Ck the PCV hose for excess oil. On my last engine, the PCV valve was sitting right ON the baffle of my Proform covers and was sucking huge amounts of oil. It ended up dumping primarily on the right side, number 2 plug. I was going through about a quart every 400 miles! I spaced the valve UP by putting 2 "0" rings on it and now it's considerably better.

Mark
Old 10-06-2007, 07:54 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

This sounds similiar to a issue I was having. If I let the engine idle then revved it, it smoked like no tomorrow, so try this test for yourself. Let the car idle about 5 minutes, do not rev it, then shut it down. Remove the carb and look in the plenum, if you see oil, you have a intake leak at the gaskets.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:39 AM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

re new engine burns oil

I had a similar problem on 540 hp 383 stroke with a blower. The problem was the short valve covers, combined with large oil spray from the roller rockers. It kept the oil baffle bathed in oil. To diagnose this I installed a clear plastic hose on the pcv valve, and watched the oil being sucked through it. I installed a taller set of valve covers on it, and the oil consumption stopped.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Dominators Hot Rod Club

Last photo:

New Engine burns oi

Great reponses. I'll check them all out. I did a compression test. consistently 180 psi. I squirted a little oil in one and retested. Gained about 3 pounds so I don't think its the rings.

Thanks guys.

Animal
Old 10-06-2007, 10:39 AM

Animal,

With only 200 miles on the engine I would think that the rings have not completly seated. Have you asked the machine shop what they think the problem might be?

Scholman
Old 10-06-2007, 10:45 AM
Dominators Hot Rod Club

Last photo:

New Engine burns oil

The shop is out of business - they don't answer the phone anyway.

I paid them $150 to break in the motor after they built it. I ran it several times in the car over the last year and did not see oil (no exhaust system at the time)
Old 10-06-2007, 11:46 AM

The Oil Baffel Sounds Like The Most Likely Cause Of Your Problem, Taller Valve Covers Or Better Baffels Should Do The Trick. Just Pulling Off The Pcv Hose Should Show You If You Are Sucking Oil Into Your Intake. The Oil Rings Could Be A Problem If The Expanders Were Not Installed Properly, Keeping No Tension On The Rails Of The Oil Rings. This Probably Wouldn't Show On A Compression Test, And Since You Stated That You Have 180 Psi Of Compression You Can Rule Out A Broken Compression Ring. If The Oil Is Not Entering Through The Pvc System Pull The Spark Plugs And Check For Oil Fouling, That Would Point To The Specific Cylinder Or Cylinders Causing The Problem, Then You Can Look At The Valve Stem Seals (depending On The Valve Spring Used You May Or May Not Be Able To See Them) If They Are Damaged The Can Be Replaced. The Only Other Thing I Can Think Of And I Only Ran Into This Once Was That The Intake Manifold Was Not Tightened Properly And Oil Was Sucking Into The Bottom Of The Intake Ports, But You Should Be Experiencing A Poor Idle Aslo If This Is Your Problem.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:51 PM
Dominators Hot Rod Club

Last photo:

New Engine burns oil

Interestingly, poor idle was a problem initially before oil burning was a problem.

But I ran the motor at idle with a clear tube from the PVC and saw a thin stream of oil flowing. I ran without the PCV (blocked the port on the edlebrock carb) and saw no blue smoke. but the motor did not seem to run as well. No time to really run the thing today. I think oil is being sucked up through the PCV.

I understand that I really should use a PCV valve, even with a breather on the other (right) side. I ran an old 283 with the breather off the intake and no PCV. so why do I need one now?

What do you guys think?

Thanks again for your time.

Animal
Old 10-06-2007, 05:02 PM

Last photo:

What condition is the breather in? I learned from dealing with the same issue, it must be in top shape, the breather acts as a restrictor for the pcv. On a stock engine, remove the pcv breather and you`ll notice the pcv stays open and doesn`t rattle open and closed, then reconnect it you find it rattles. When the pcv runs in a non baffled valve cover and not enough restriction on the breather, it sucks up oil.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:02 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

That breather was above the intake valley where there is no oil splash or pressure. I'm sure this engine has a lot more oil pressure than your old 283, combined with the pcv being in the valve cover, you will have more oil coming out of the push rods. If you are using stock valve covers, replace the with a taller set. I prefer to use aluminium valve covers for sealing purposes. Personaly I have never been able to get Chrome to keep from leaking without taking all of the Chrome off of the gasket surfaces.

Last edited by carsavvycook; 10-06-2007 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:09 PM

Last photo:

If you could see the oil moving along inside the PCV hose, you have a baffle problem that needs to be addressed first. Second, "running bad" could be caused by anything. It "can" be caused by running too rich, which would get worse if you closed off the PCV hose. No more extra air, it gets richer. You need to fix the oil problem first and ck the plugs too. Chances are they are coated in oil and the intake and intake valves may be gooye too. Take it one thing at a time.

This is what my intake and heads looked like when I had the exact same problem. Look close at the intake valves. They had globs of crap on them in no time. I used 2 cans of Sea Foam to clean it up. (good stuff by the way!)

Mark

Last edited by Jmark; 10-06-2007 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:21 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

The spark plugs are most likely oil fouled. Replace them after the valve covers. Been there, Done that.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:26 PM

Last photo:

You port them heads J? Nice.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Dominators Hot Rod Club

Last photo:

New Engine burns oil

The breathers are new. The valve covers are fairly tall to accommodate the roller rockers. But there are no baffles at all! The plugs had some goo at the base but the electrodes were clean.

So its off to the valve cover store to get good ones (which I had planned to do but never got to it).

You guys saved me a ton of time and $$$ as I was considering pulling the heads. But in my own defense, I asked a few friends if vacuum was somehow related to the problem since it manifested itself at idle - when vacuum is the greatest. I got a dumb slap so I didn't suggest it here.

Thanks again for the help and insight. I'll post an update ASAP.

Animal

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.