Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - New Engine Combo - Your Opinions
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2008, 12:28 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

New Engine Combo - Your Opinions

Hello All,

I'm currently in the process of upgrading a few components of my mostly stock 350 in my Chevelle. I'm curious to see what you all think of my combination.

It has a virtually stock bottom end. The engine was rebuilt well over 10 years ago, but has been run very little. This is a mid 70's smog engine with dished pistons.

I'm replacing the unknown aftermarket cam with a Voodoo 60102. I've purchased a set of Summit brand aluminum heads with 200cc intake runners and 64cc combustion chambers along with 2.02/1.60 valves. I also have a set of Comp Cams Magnum roller-tipped rocker arms (1:5 ratio).

The engine will be topped off with a Weiand Stealth aluminum intake and a 600 cfm Holley carb with vacuum secondaries. I also have an aftermarket HEI distributor to install.

This all will be backed by a TH350 trans. with some stall to it and a shift kit. I still have the factory open differential (I'm guestimating it at approx. 3.73 ratio, originally a L6/glide car).

I realize that my engine's downfall (in my opinion) is the dished pistons. It's just not economically feasible at this time to purchase flat tops. I have yet to get new head gaskets. I'm still studying to figure out what thickness would be best for my application... Any suggestions?

So.... Would any of you be so gratious as to give me your opinions on this setup? Criticize/compliment at will. I know this is far from the ideal engine combo, but it's what I've got to work with. My funds may allow a few changes here and there, but not much. What kind of power would you expect to get out of this combo?

Any and all info is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
300Deluxe