Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - New engine has to come apart
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2006, 09:41 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hi Keith. Studs are stock press in, 882 heads. Intake gaskets were replaced last week and replaced the intake too! About to spring a water leak. Checker had the Performer on sale thankfully.

It's been using oil since day one and is getting worse every week! I guess the next step is to pull the VC and then the rockers and springs on #2 and see if the valves wobble in the guide and ck the seals too. The seals are the positive seal type, not the crappy O-ring thing.

Malc....No misfire, no smoke on startup or visible when driving, but #2 plug turns into a crusty ash covered mess in just a few weeks now. Burns about a quart every 500-600 miles, apparently all on one cylinder. I'd live with the oil consumption of it was spread between all 8, but all on one cylinder is not good. Did a compression ck about a month ago and all were fine. None varied more then 3 or 4 pounds from each other. Average comp. was around 163.

Just sucks to spend so much time and money and have it go south. Plus i've got no time to do it as work is busy and the only place to tear it down now is next to the shop outside. Will have to pull the cabover camper off my other truck so I have something to drive, which means I'll have to rent a place to store the camper since I have no more room here! LOL When it rains, it pours. Seriously thinking about buying a new, or newer truck. Been driving this thing for over 23 years now.

This is a pic of #2 when I pulled it 2 weeks ago. Just pulled the new one that I replaced it with this morning and its getting there. Oil on the threads and seat and ash deposits starting to develop too.

I"ve got a good 400 block in the shop that I suppose I could get ready to go. Atleast I"d be able to do the R&R in a weekend and be back on the street.

Last edited by Jmark; 10-27-2006 at 10:05 AM.