Hot Rod Forum banner

New Find Wont Start

705 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  63Pont2door 
#1 ·
I picked up a 1963 Pontiac Bonneville. I am so excited. I got it off ebay and knew that it had been sitting for a few years. at first the engine was stuck (looks like a fresh rebuild about 5 yrs ago). oiled up the cylinders waited a few days and it turns!!. Now i am trying to start it and am dumbfounded. Here is what i know
Mallory distributor and ignition
firing order correct
plugs and wires are new
set #1 to TDC

Every time i try to crank it POOF SPIT-BOOM it back fires out the carb!

The only thing i can think of is the muffler is clogged up.

Any Help appreciated. Thanks In Advance. Robert

#2 ·
63Pont2door said:
I picked up a 1963 Pontiac Bonneville. I am so excited. I got it off ebay and knew that it had been sitting for a few years. at first the engine was stuck (looks like a fresh rebuild about 5 yrs ago). oiled up the cylinders waited a few days and it turns!!. Now i am trying to start it and am dumbfounded. Here is what i know
Mallory distributor and ignition
firing order correct
plugs and wires are new
set #1 to TDC

Every time i try to crank it POOF SPIT-BOOM it back fires out the carb!

The only thing i can think of is the muffler is clogged up.

Any Help appreciated. Thanks In Advance. Robert
Don't Pontiac Engines rotate the distributor in the opposite direction of Chevy engines?

I'd take the cap of the distributor and make sure of the rotation of the rotor and then double check your wires/firing order.

#3 ·
The rotation is counter-clockwise. Number 1 cylinder is on the driver's side front. Firing order is 18436572.

You say you have the rotor pointing at the #1 cylinder terminal in the cap at TDC. Is it TDC on compression or exhaust? Has to be on compression.

Ground the coil wire and have someone check exhaust flow while you crank. Or loosen the exhaust pipe to exhaust manifold bolts and try to start it.

Take the valve covers off and observe the valve action to make sure you don't have one or more intake valves rusted open.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.