New first gen Camaro & Mustang bodies - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2007, 06:21 AM
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The article also said that the sheet metal was of a higher grade and was thicker. All the pieces are assembled on jigs. I have also experienced problems with OEM American made fenders fitting well, so in the current terminology the term junk could have been applied to them also I guess .

Vinced

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2007, 06:34 AM

Last photo:

I'm not saying it is junk (it is new), just be prepared for a lot of extra work.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:44 AM

Last photo:

To quote just half of an old saying "Be not the first on which the new is tried"
Old 05-04-2007, 07:18 AM

Last photo:

I hope these bodies are better than the repop panels I have put on Mustangs. If they are I'm sure they will be welcomed by all. I have put repop fenders, hood, quarters and tail light panels on Mustangs. They have all been bad with maybe the exception of the tail light panel. The American Designer (made in Canada) patch panels are even worse. I've welded several of those in and they have been awful. The only reason I even consider using them is because there are no other choices that I know of.

I recently dropped down a good chunk of change on 2 fenders and a hood made from the original tooling bought from Ford and licensed by Ford. I haven't installed them yet but I hope that they fit as well as the originals. I can tell you right now that they will need some finish work. They do have some issues with the finish. There is one particularly bad spot on the hood.

I work in a stamping and assembly factory that does class A panels for Ford, GM, Chrysler, BMW and Mercedes. Even though these panels are not perfect they are far superior to anything that I have seen from the aftermarket.

Danny
Old 05-04-2007, 08:01 AM

Last photo:

Kampr, I know exactly what you mean about the Mustang parts and the fenders I used on a 65 (this was several years ago they MAY be better now) had to be cut and welded (cobbled) to get them to fit at the top where they meet the door, these things were almost flat in this area and stood about 1/2" above the door! I can just imagine trying to get that right if I had also been working with those JUNK doors I bought (then sold) for another job. I bought a fender apron to replace one damaged from a leaking battery and this thing did not even meet MartinSr's description of "similar to original" it was so far off I at first just assumed it was the wrong part that had been mislabeled but nope it was the "RIGHT one" ,the only thing "Right" about that POS was the right side of the car!
Old 05-04-2007, 08:24 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,128 Times in 1,001 Posts
Yep, to repeat another great quote "One mans JUNK is another mans treasure". If it is "good enough" for someone, have fun.

How much are those bodies, about $15,000?
Brian
Old 05-04-2007, 09:29 AM

Last photo:

I was (still am) interested in those Mustang bodies BUT, I think I will wait until I hear more about them. The project I have in mind is a Semi-Shelby clone and since this would be a very involved (and expen$ive) undertaking I would much rather use a reasonably straight factory body even if it does need some metal replacement. The problem I see, but I am no pro, is that while most factory bodies would have everything in reasonable alignment with "landmarks" to work from those repo's may not. Example being those fenders I mentioned earlier, as much trouble as it was to match them to the doors what if the doors had been off just as bad (like the ones I attempted to use on another car)? There would have been nothing to work from except lines that were also wrong.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:17 AM
Last photo:

Oldred, you mentioned "landmarks" when you were talking about bodies. These new Camaro bodies are assembled based on dimensions as spelled out in the Fisher body manual for the body, so I'm assuming they are as close as a factory or OEM body.

I'm sure someone will have some negative comments about that also .

Vince
Old 05-04-2007, 11:13 AM

Last photo:

We all agree that they aren't perfect. You will have some time into it, but that's ok with me. I think it's great that someone stepped up and made these bodies. Remember, these guys don't have the millions of dollars it would take to make perfect dies and fixtures. I don't think they are much worse than the factory stuff was when it was new. I say keepem coming.
Bob
Old 05-04-2007, 11:43 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
Oldred, you mentioned "landmarks" when you were talking about bodies. These new Camaro bodies are assembled based on dimensions as spelled out in the Fisher body manual for the body, so I'm assuming they are as close as a factory or OEM body.

I'm sure someone will have some negative comments about that also .

Vince

I am talking about things like the fenders that were at least 1/2" higher than the doors and almost flat instead of curved. The doors I tried to use on another project would not fit the door opening even though the Q-panels and front fenders had not yet been changed, one of these things at best had a gap at the rear that was 1/8" at the top and believe it or not nearly 3/4" at the bottom and on top of that the door panels inside would not fit. Let's not even talk about the body line I would not think these bodies are anywhere near this bad but if body lines are noticeably wrong or body curves are not right then that would be a lot harder to deal with than dents, dings and maybe rust. I am looking at the worst case here and in all likelihood completely off the mark, I sure hope so, time will tell.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:06 PM
go fast, turn left!

Last photo:

The problem is the dies are only good for so many stampings before they start to deform and produce panels that don't meet the exact manufacturers specs. These dies get sold and the aftermarket scoops them up tries to resurface them and produce acceptable panels. Even new Ford or GM panels will vary depending on if it the first off a new die or the last. If you want no hassles but a new car but if you are fixing up cars you better be ready for some work and you get what you pay for. Jobber panels are not as good as goodmark panels that is why they cost half as much.

Buying one of these bodies is going to put you miles ahead, you will be starting with RUST FREE sheetmetal and you will have a 'new' car when you are done. sounds pretty good to me and i am sure that for 15000 most of the holes and panels will be pretty darn close. It wouldn't matter how good they are someone is going to insist they are junk just to be difficult. these cars had bondo on them coming out of the factory, i'm sure the new bodies aren't any worse.

Some people need to quit whining and let others enjoy a new product which should have nothing but a positive effect on our hobby.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:22 PM

Last photo:

I have not seen the stang yet, have seen the 57 Chev and it looks good but have been involved/or/have friends doing projects with five of these Camaro converts so far.

The first one we did was not to bad but took a lot of gap work but so did the factory Camaros even when new as they were nowhere near good from the factory.
The later versions are assembled in Twain and although the panel stampings are good the assemble fit leaves a lot to be desired and needs to be reworked.
Cost now for the full body conv't with top frame is $13,000 and change.

In my book, I would rather spend 40 hours re-gapping a new body and that is about what it will take for an experienced bodyman then mess around with a rust bucket replacing panels.
Just my take and I guess, I'm getting lazy as I get older.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:27 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

You have to keep in mind that with these bodies, all of the parts are made to fit together. They included the doors and deck lid with the shell that I saw. I didn't see a big problem with the fit, although I didn't check them with calipers to see if the gap was exactly the same all the way around. The body lines matched close enough where there was no noticeable problem, as with some repro quarters I have used on an original body, with original doors.

Now..... Did I run my hand all over it to see if it was perfect? No, I didn't. Did I Measure all of the gaps with calipers? No, I didn't. What I did do is look closely at the welded joints that were visible. I also looked to see how well the welded panels fit together, and if they looked like they were made to fit together, and they did. I looked to see if the car looked like it should be a Mustang body, or was something else, but just modified, and it looked like a very good starting point for a project. I looked at that car body like someone would see it on the road or sitting in a parking lot, not like I was judging it in a car show, against other cars that had been restored. It did look normal in those respects.

If you are looking for perfection, expect to pay $100,000+ and be disappointed, as there is no such thing. If I remember correctly, the Mustang was priced at about $15,000 or so. I figure that for about $20,000 you can end up with complete new sheetmetal and exterior chrome for that thing. When you think about it, that is really a savings. You will have a hard time getting someone to take an original body, make it new, or like new, to that level, with new chrome, for that price. You also have to consider that the original will have to have repro parts to do that job anyway, since OEM parts are not available.

Aaron
Old 05-04-2007, 08:30 PM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I think the market will decide pretty quickly if these are bodies are worth the money. Hopefully, Dynacorn will address any fiment and quality issues as thay go and keep improving them if needed. Looks like they might know a thing or two about building bodies.

I say we vote for Vince to be the frst HR member to build a replica Camaro.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:42 PM

Last photo:

You can state your opinion about the stang bodies here.

http://www.mustangsplus.com/WhatIS/graph.mv

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.