New first gen Camaro & Mustang bodies - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2007, 09:39 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hey Vince, no sweat here. Everybody definately has their own opinions and that'll never change and that's good... I agree starting a project like this without rust issues would be awesome but I just wanted to point out there will more than likely be some unexpected struggles. If you do the project I hope you do a journal, these new tubs may be the only way to go in the future.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2007, 10:23 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,156 Times in 1,022 Posts
Vince, we are just in a virtual garage sipping beers and chatting about cars. It's all good!

Brian
Old 05-07-2007, 03:34 AM

Last photo:

I have really enjoyed hearing both sides of this (is'nt that what this place is all about?) Up until now about all I have heard is what was in the magazines and their take on it, I think we know what THAT opinion is going to be based on.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:06 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
I have really enjoyed hearing both sides of this (is'nt that what this place is all about?) Up until now about all I have heard is what was in the magazines and their take on it, I think we know what THAT opinion is going to be based on.
I agree with you 100% oldred. If I were considering buying one of these I would take a wait and see approach.

Danny
Old 05-08-2007, 06:15 AM

quality

I installed a few repo quater panels, taillight panels on mustangs, novas and cameros. when triming the old metal to fit the repo's , when i tossed the original trim pieces on the floor, it had a little ring to it, but when i trimed the repo and tossed it on the floor it had a dead sound to it. the old original was a little stiffer to bend, the repo bent like taffy. I believe it was a softer metal. I believed because the repo stamping was less pressure than the original, and they use a lesser quality of metal. I know from expierience that repo's dent easily. I try to use donor parts as much as possible because of this.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by readdirections
I installed a few repo quater panels, taillight panels on mustangs, novas and cameros. when triming the old metal to fit the repo's , when i tossed the original trim pieces on the floor, it had a little ring to it, but when i trimed the repo and tossed it on the floor it had a dead sound to it. the old original was a little stiffer to bend, the repo bent like taffy. I believe it was a softer metal. I believed because the repo stamping was less pressure than the original, and they use a lesser quality of metal. I know from expierience that repo's dent easily. I try to use donor parts as much as possible because of this.
They probably use steel with less carbon in it because it is softer and puts less wear on their dies.

Danny
Old 05-08-2007, 03:00 PM

Last photo:

I too have noticed the softer metal and that would be another concern if the case is the same here. A softer fender may be ok but with unibody construction if the cowl, along with some other critical parts are weak then problems may occur well after the car is finished, just something else to consider I guess. A lot of "ifs" to take into account here but since the start of this thread I have been looking at that Mustang body on the net and I find myself drooling all over my keyboard just thinking about having that brand new body sitting on stands in my garage.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:00 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
but since the start of this thread I have been looking at that Mustang body on the net and I find myself drooling all over my keyboard just thinking about having that brand new body sitting on stands in my garage.
I said I was through with this thread, but "oldred" I feel the same way about a new 69 Camaro body sitting next to my 34 in my garage. FWIW the Hot Rod article said the metal was a little thicker and of better quality than the OEM version.

Vince
Old 05-08-2007, 07:34 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
I said I was through with this thread, but "oldred" I feel the same way about a new 69 Camaro body sitting next to my 34 in my garage. FWIW the Hot Rod article said the metal was a little thicker and of better quality than the OEM version.
Vince
Vince,
Each body is put together different as they are assembled in china by hand, worst one I saw was a screwed up tail panel (rear lights) and it would be cheaper to buy a replacement and bond or weld in and that was what was done. The metal is stout and good from all I have seen.

Will say this, I have about 40-60 hours left on the vette and there will be a new body in garage because the wife has been wanting me to get her an RS Convert for the last five years.
Everything has been parted and priced down to the best front suspension made and a 9" rear and all the toys, the list comes up to around $30,000 for a mild 400 HP with electronics and overdrive.

The $30,000 includes just over $2,000 for items I may have missed.
The price will come down if I find a donor car for the general odds and ins, witch I will.

Vince try to buy a #3 RS Convert for $50,000, would not be half the handling car and would need for $50,000 a total redo for sure.

Bet the fake would bring a $100,000 through Barret also.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Last photo:

Ditto Barry .

Vince
Old 05-08-2007, 08:08 PM

Last photo:

By the way, we were talking about the VIN transfers. I just was looking thru an older Rod & Custom mag and ran across the a press release for the 57 Chevy convert bodies. Interesting thing is, they start with an orig cowl and VIN with a Title!

Brian
Old 05-08-2007, 08:23 PM

Last photo:

An original VIN attached to the cowl is was originally issued to and not a VIN tag transfered to a new cowl?
Old 05-08-2007, 08:37 PM

Last photo:

It is worded actually, the steel bodies aren't entirerly "new", they start with an original cowl (complete with VIN tags to make registration and licensing a little easier). From there, an all-new body is assembled using high-quality reprodcution steel.

This is from the C.A.R.S. Inc. press release.

Brian
Old 05-08-2007, 08:44 PM

Last photo:

Click here for C.A.R.S. Inc. and the info on the body. It looks like a lot of it (if not all) is made in Detroit!

Brian
Old 05-08-2007, 08:56 PM

Last photo:

On the new Mustang bodies(or Camaro), Just how practical would this be to attempt to do without a donor car? I was just thinking about all of the little thought of pieces that may be hard to find as I have discovered not everything is available new. I know things like correct fasteners and such are available as kits but when getting into things like the inside door parts and brackets for example some of this stuff may be hard to locate, or would it?

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.