New first gen Camaro & Mustang bodies - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2007, 06:20 AM
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

New first gen Camaro & Mustang bodies

Recently picked up the latest copy of Hot Rod magazine. There is some pretty exciting stuff about new first generation Camaro and Mustang bodies being manufactured. This should drive down the prices people have been demanding for rusted out early Camaro bodies. The 69 Camaro Coupe has really got me interested.

Vince
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2007, 07:57 AM
Grease Monkey Wanabe

Last journal entry: ALL IS LOST!
Last photo:

They built a new 69 Camaro on the MuscleCar show on SPIKE. I think the bodies are around $15,000. You would still have a very large chunk of change in the car. I'm not sure it would be worth it considering it's not a real Camaro.

Where I live there is a Camaro junkyard with probably 20+ 67 to 69s. I keep meaning to take my camera out there. It's a very depressing place. The cars are all pretty much beyond repair. There was a post a few days ago about re-bodying a car. (firewall swap) I wonder if some of those cars are destined to get a new body.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:10 AM
Last photo:

[QUOTE=KenCam]I'm not sure it would be worth it considering it's not a real Camaro.
QUOTE]

What is a real Camaro when the quarters, fenders and such are replaced with repro parts anyhow? At least these bodies are licensed by GM and Ford and use OEM authorized sheet metal, and are assembled better than OEM. I would much rather spend $13,500 for a new 69 body than spend $15,000 for a rusted out POS, which I just looked at last weekend in Dallas.

Vince
Old 05-01-2007, 08:24 AM
Grease Monkey Wanabe

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
I would much rather spend $13,500 for a new 69 body than spend $15,000 for a rusted out POS
Vince
Isn't that $13,500 just the body? No doors, fenders, hood, trunk lid, nose, grill, lights, axles, front frame, steering, dash, gauges, seats, ect...
Old 05-01-2007, 08:34 AM

Last photo:

Since these things come with a new cowl do they have a new VIN tag? I am especially interested the the Mustang.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:36 AM

[QUOTE=302 Z28]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenCam
I'm not sure it would be worth it considering it's not a real Camaro.
QUOTE]

What is a real Camaro when the quarters, fenders and such are replaced with repro parts anyhow? At least these bodies are licensed by GM and Ford and use OEM authorized sheet metal, and are assembled better than OEM. I would much rather spend $13,500 for a new 69 body than spend $15,000 for a rusted out POS, which I just looked at last weekend in Dallas.

Vince
Assembled better than GM, i don't think so. Did you watch them do one on spike? Nothing lined up and bondo one end to the other. All that licensed by GM means is they pay GM money, no quality control no nothin'.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:16 AM
Grease Monkey Wanabe

Last photo:

Sacrelig?
I know a bunch of people wont like what this guy is doing.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:28 AM
Last photo:

[QUOTE=DougMN]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
Assembled better than GM, i don't think so. Did you watch them do one on spike? Nothing lined up and bondo one end to the other. All that licensed by GM means is they pay GM money, no quality control no nothin'.
I saw that episode, they were blueprinting that Camaro. The body gaps they were setting were far tighter than OEM. They then skimmed the entire car Boyd style with filler.

Vince
Old 05-01-2007, 10:11 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Since these things come with a new cowl do they have a new VIN tag? I am especially interested the the Mustang.
In the article it didn't say if the Mustang came with a VIN number. The article did talk about another firm that is making brand new 57 Chevy convertibles. They use an existing 57 firewall and cowl with all new virgin sheet metal and it is titled to the original vin. They also talk about Goodmark Industries taking your donor 67-69 Camaro and marrying it to your donor 93-02 Camaro chassis and it carrying the 67-69 vin registration.

Vince
Old 05-01-2007, 10:16 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Sacrelig?
I like it.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Sacrelig?

Got to hand it to that guy, exceptional work and I am all for it. What is driving all this is the absolutely insane prices all the celebrities and sports figures with way too much money in their pockets are paying for 60's and 70's muscle cars. This places them out of the hands of most people who grew up with them. I think it is great that the demand has reached a point to where it is now economically feasible to reproduce these cars.

Vince
Old 05-01-2007, 06:24 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I saw one of the Mustangs at a trade show at Indy in March. I believe they come with the deck lid and doors. No front sheetmetal. If I remember right, they were around $15,000 bare. I don't recall if they had said anything about VINs on them, only that they had just gotten licensed by Ford to produce them.

Since the front sheet metal is reproduced, and easy available, that is no problem. You just have to find every other part for one. WOuld get kind of expensive, unless you have a rusted out one.

Aaron
Old 05-01-2007, 08:01 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

I have to tell you, I looked close at every Camaro, Mustang and 57 Chevy body that was at NACE this past year. In my opinion, doing this body repair stuff for 30 years, they are JUNK. I felt them, I looked at them just as I would a car coming into the shop. They were JUNK, they were VERY, VERY rough needing HUNDREDS of blocking hours. Mostly every panel would need to be skim coated with filler or MORE. And EVERY SINGLE panel would need at the very least a LOT of polyester primer. Did I mention they were ROUGH?

Brian
Old 05-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Last photo:

Brian, I have to voice a different opinion. Last year at Louisville NSRA I stopped by the Detroit Speed display because I spied their front end and axle on a 69 Camaro body that appeared to be new or restored in flat black paint. I inquired about the Camaro and was told it was a new Goodmark Camaro assembled from resto parts licensed by GM. I have to tell you it was not perfect, but it was far from what you described as JUNK JUNK. It certainly would required immensely less work than a near 40 year old rusty body. Yes they need work, but so did the production models back in 69. Anyone who has ever taken a Camaro down to bare metal or removed a vinyl top can plainly see the lead work that was performed on these cars by the GM assembly men.

Vince
Old 05-01-2007, 11:39 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Vince, I saw the same flat black one at the last Goodguys. Sorry, I will stick by my earlier comments, JUNK. I have stripped to bare metal a LOT of cars and restored them. That body was ROUGH, a heck of a lot rougher than any body I have ever done. EVERY square inch needed work. Most old cars there are straight panels, not that one. Nope, just like the early Ford repro bodies I checked out last summer, they are MILES from straight.

If all you did was "look" at it, you didn't get the full effect. Rub it like you are feeling bondo work next time, it is ROUGH.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.