New Ford Guy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2002, 06:37 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post New Ford Guy

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and relatively new to street rodding. As you can probably tell, I have a '37 Ford slantback sedan I'm working on. I'm going to do something rare and put a Ford motor in my Ford street rod. I plan to buy a 351w from The Engine Factory. Do any of you have experience with them? I'm always willing to listen to any advice- Ford, Chevy, or whatever.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2002, 07:52 AM

I THINK THATS A GREAT IDEA !! I ONCE SEEN A GUY PUT THE WHOLE DRIVE TRAIN OUT OF A '93 CROWN VIC IN '42 FORD. IT TURN OUT GREAT !! JUST DON'T LOSE YOUR PATIECE. JUST TAKE YOUR TIME AND DON'T WORRY WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK BECAUSE IT'S YOUR CAR AND YOUR THE ONE THAT HAS TO DRIVE IT!!!

JDDREN
Old 07-09-2002, 02:33 PM

Talking

here is my two cents worth. I have a 302 ford in my 46 Ford coupe and a 302 in my 53 F100. I like the idea of a Ford in a Ford. I am knee deep in building a 40' Ford coupe in which I have a 350 chevy because I don't want to cut the fire wall as required to use the Ford motor. Do you realize how extensive the cut will be on your 37. Just do whatever you think will work best for you, and have fun.
Old 07-10-2002, 04:49 AM

I have had the car for about a year and a half, and the first thing I did was put a recessed firewall in. I have my chassis rolling, and the body is ready for sanding, sandblasting, sodablasting, or whatever. I have not decided on that. Any thoughts? I have been looking for a dummy motor to check clearances first. I know going the 350 route would be cheaper, but I believe in a Ford in a Ford.

Joe, are your 302's stock, or did you buy them as crate motors?
Old 07-10-2002, 04:26 PM

about two moanths ago i dropped a windsor in my 67 mustang. it previously had a 302 in it. i did alot of research on it before i started same way you are. needless to say it didnt help one bit. the 302 and 351w frame mounts are different. the bolt holes on the windsor arewide apart. every person i talked to told me it was all the same. so dont listen to that crap of its all the same if u buy after market mountsits got to be for the windsor.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:03 PM
Polish or powder coat it!!!!!!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Ford
I have had the car for about a year and a half, and the first thing I did was put a recessed firewall in. I have my chassis rolling, and the body is ready for sanding, sandblasting, sodablasting, or whatever. I have not decided on that. Any thoughts? I have been looking for a dummy motor to check clearances first. I know going the 350 route would be cheaper, but I believe in a Ford in a Ford.

Soda blasting is the way to go...
Old 10-30-2005, 08:40 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen trulove
about two moanths ago i dropped a windsor in my 67 mustang. it previously had a 302 in it. i did alot of research on it before i started same way you are. needless to say it didnt help one bit. the 302 and 351w frame mounts are different. the bolt holes on the windsor arewide apart. every person i talked to told me it was all the same. so dont listen to that crap of its all the same if u buy after market mountsits got to be for the windsor.

A W drops right onto the 302 motor mounts,,, bolt right to the 351 W engine block exactly the same way.... I don't have a clue what you did.

The 221-289/302/5.0/W/C are all the same at the block. period.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:50 AM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

I have to agree with XNTRIK, I don't know what you did but smallblock mounts are all the same including the Cleveland. Sounds like you made a very easy job a little complicated. I've done at least 50 of those type swaps and used the mounts of the 289/302 engine, that I pulled, on the 351W if they were still good.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:11 AM
brains

Last photo:

I dont know if they are good motors or not, but they seem a little bit on the high side for cost. With some shopping around I'm sure you can find a better deal.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:53 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

More and more folks are doing the ford/ford motor thing. Many times it is a more expensive way to go though. If you are going to run a Mustang II front end you may need to get a rear sump pan for your motor. And you may have to notch the cross member to get the motor to sit right. Set the motor back as far as you can, the balancer/pulleys/water pump take up alot more room on a ford than they do a chevy. You will need that room for fan to radiator clearance . There is a short water pump available, I think ford motorsport sells it. I know that I'll get someone to disagree with me on this but I would use a mechanical fan and a fan shroud if at all possible. Don't go cheap on your cooling system, those griffin aluminum radiators seem to work pretty good in that high narrow ford nose. Try to get all of your accessory drive items from 1 place, that way they SHOULD work together. I say should because I have spent many hours making aftermarket spacers and pulleys and brackets work on ford motors. The stock accessory drive stuff probably just won't work. I would think that the high mount stuff would be best in that 37 as there is not alot of room in the nose. Make sure that you get the balancer and flex-plate that belongs with the motor you get. Fords are externally balanced and various years used different counterweights. Make sure that you get the right timing pointer that goes with the balancer. Different engines had the pointer on opposite sides and if you have a mismatch it is fun to time. You will also have to match the water pump outlet to the side of the block that doesn't have the pointer. I think the shorty pump exits on the left. You may want to consider an electric fuel pump and an oil filter relocation kit because it gets pretty crowded on the left hand side of that ford motor with all that stuff. I personally think that the 351 W is one of the best motors ford ever made. They are stronger than dirt, withstand alot of modifications without sacrificing reliability, and you can get them to make just about any kind of power you need. They are not bad looking either. I hope this helps.

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 10-31-2005, 08:07 AM

Speedway is selling those plastic dummy motors, I was looking in the catalog this morning. Seems like they were about 75 bucks, might be cheap insurance.

Doug
Old 10-31-2005, 09:17 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Ford

just shorten the front drive on the 302, i have a 302 in my 32ford and did not cut the fire wall. i shortened the stock water pump ,made my own front pulley by cutting and welding the original mounted the alt on drivers side then used a idler pulley for belt tention.cheap and easyther is 1 in between frnt pully and original cross member, 1/2 between fire wall and valve cover, cliff
Old 11-06-2005, 03:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirstude
Speedway is selling those plastic dummy motors, I was looking in the catalog this morning. Seems like they were about 75 bucks, might be cheap insurance.

Doug

which Speedway company??
Old 11-06-2005, 04:04 PM

Last photo:

351W swap

Speedway Motors in Lincoln, Nebraska is the company being referred to.
Glen Trulove, I dont know what 351w you are talking about, since the 302 and 351w share the same motor mounts, bellhousing, and flywheel up through 84, same head design, interchange camshafts, timing gear housings, timing gears and chain, and water pumps. 302 heads can be used on a 351W by boring out the head bolt holes from 7/16th to half inch. 351W heads will bolt right onto a 302 by using shouldered 7/16ths head bolts. The big differences are in the deck heigh, intake, distributor, crank, rods, pistons, oil pump, and oil pan.
The 302 has an 8.2 inch deck height, the 351w a 9.5 inch deck height.
The 351C also uses the same motor mounts, flywheel and bellhousings.
The 351M is a totally different animal, which, while sharing parts off of the cleveland, uses the same motor mounts and bellhousing as does the Lima.
Would love to see a picture of your mystery Winsor.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:03 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirstude

Doug
Thanks,
I have been on their website unable to find them... using their search... so I guess I give up. Maybe it is too late at night... duh..

If you can, give me some info from the catalog as to where to look.

thanks for the info.
x

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.