New to forum, need to identify 71' Camaro Engine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2013, 04:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

New to forum, need to identify 71' Camaro Engine

Hello Everyone,

My names Vic, I'm new to the forum and I joined because I had some questions about my 71' Camaro.

Im trying to figure out what type of Engine I have. I found one Number #3970010 meaning that I narrowed it down to a 327 Small block or 350 Small block. I cant however find the ID number that starts with a V? After searching the site I found that I should be looking for the ID in front of the Cylinders on the Passenger side, however there are no numbers there. Can anyone help? maybe there is another location where the number is? I can post pics if it helps

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2013, 11:26 PM

71 Camaros had 350s,if the engine is stock then its a 350. 69 was last year for 327s
Old 08-21-2013, 01:18 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockingcamaro View Post
Hello Everyone,

My names Vic, I'm new to the forum and I joined because I had some questions about my 71' Camaro.

Im trying to figure out what type of Engine I have. I found one Number #3970010 meaning that I narrowed it down to a 327 Small block or 350 Small block. I cant however find the ID number that starts with a V? After searching the site I found that I should be looking for the ID in front of the Cylinders on the Passenger side, however there are no numbers there. Can anyone help? maybe there is another location where the number is? I can post pics if it helps
Welcome to the forum, Vic. Below is a page that will help you ID your engine. One of the codes on the block in front of the passenger side head is the suffix code. It can be missing because the block was replaced by a new block or the numbers can be erased if the block was decked. You can still ID the engine by using the casting number (3970010), the date code and by visually inspecting it. You may never know the exact vehicle the engine came from w/o the suffix code, but for rebuilding it or buying parts for it you can say it's from the '71 Camaro.

The "010" block is one of the more common blocks and could be the original block to the Camaro. Most all are originally 350 cid (meaning the crank has a 3.48" stroke). Most cranks are cast but there were factory steel cranks, too. If the engine was in a high performance vehicle or was in a truck, bus or commercial vehicle there's a good chance it will have a 4-bolt main.

ID Chevy engines
Old 08-21-2013, 11:48 AM

Thanks for the information, it would make sense if the code is missing because the block was replaced. Ill have to ask the previous owner if that was the case and if he is aware of that. I guess the next thing would be to determine whether it has a 2-bolt or 4-bolt main. Ill keep you all updated on that and any other questions I have.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:00 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

While a replacement block is a possibility, a more likely scenario is the block having been decked during a rebuild.

If you care if this is the original block you can use the trim tag to determine the car's build date. Then compare that to the engine's date code. The engine should have been built a little before the car. This wouldn't totally exclude the block as being a replacement, but would be a pretty good indicator to it's originality.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.