New Fuel Pump, but no flow... ??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2004, 12:24 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

New Fuel Pump, but no flow... ???

Ok... In the light of day I quickly discovered that I was not getting enough fuel at all... When I disconnect the line from the pump to the carb and turn it over nothing comes out. After I turn it over a great many times, then I pump the gas, the carb gives a flimsy squirt.

I traced the line back to the tank, but could not find any holes or breaks in the line that might cause this, no leaks under the car after considerable pulling of the pump, nothing.

Is there some sort of sending unit INSIDE the tank I need to check out? (PLEASE tell me there isn't because it has a full tank of gas and I don't want to go through all that haha)

It's a 65 Plymouth Fury. All original.

Think there could be a hole in the line small enough to not leak, but big enough to pull air through and not allow the gas to circulate correctly?

So far all I can think of is
  • Fuel Pump (but it's brand new so doubt it)
  • Crack or Hole in the line (does this theory hold water?)
  • Fuel Tank Sending Unit (I don't even know if a car this old has one)

Damn I hate being held back by something so miniscule and basic.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2004, 01:42 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Go with the fuel pump first, always start with the easiest, then work your way up. If there was a hole in the line or a crack, no it wouldn`t get any fuel. As for in the tank it does have a "sock" filter, and after time they turn into trash, collapse and no fuel is the result.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:48 PM

Any way to check your Fuel PSI? I'm thinking maybe you have a venting issue. Take the gas cap of the tank and then try to see if yo can get fuel to the carb when you turn it over. Let me know.....

Stroke
Old 11-19-2004, 02:36 PM

Stroke

You really are a genius

A NEW GAS CAP IT IS

But once I got it running (very well I might add) there is an even more serious issue

it gets REALLY hot almost instantly

the exhaust manifolds were blisteringly hot as soon as I turned it on, but the valve covers and intake manifold remained cool... Nevertheless, I turned it off, and on the drivers side manifold I could hear something sizzling just slightly (maybe it's just the gasket spray tack since it's the first time started with it?)

I know my carb is way out of wack, but could the carb cause this?

I took off the thermostat housing, and there was no stat. I can put water into the radiator and flush the top of the water pump out like that, and I did it for quite some time, it's still a solid rust color though.

The lack of a stat and the fact it needed headwork leads me to believe it was overheating before this too (maybe thats why it was parked so long ago).

And even though the manifolds get really hot, the water stays relatively cool.

I noticed when putting the head gaskets on that the opening for the water jacket was smaller than the jacket itself by a CONSIDERABLE margin but I've seen that plenty on other cars and there was no problem.

And I don't know if it's the whole motor getting hot since the valve covers are still so cool, it's mainly just the exhaust manifolds... Like I said, even the water is barely warm....

I'll continue flushing my cooling system and check back for your reply, thank you very much for all your help so far.

Oh yeah, ALSO... There is white smoke coming from somewhere, but it's away from the source before I can get out to check from exactly where... It's not the carb though, I can see that from up top... I'm guessing it's coming from the manifold too.

Could this be lack of oil flow also?

When I changed the oil the consistency of the old would be enough to clog almost anything I'm thinking... Could the oil pump be clogged up and not circulating anything?

Last edited by Dizturbed One; 11-19-2004 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:53 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

The exhaust manifold should get very hot almost imediately...its hot exhaust gas in there. Put a hose into the top of the radiator open the drain on the bottom of the radiator...in the hole at the top put in a water hose and turn on the water and run the car with the water running into the radiator to flush it out till it runs out clear. Then think about draining the radiator and installing anti-freez and water mixed. What temp is the car running at? don't forget to install a thermostat when you get done flushing out the radiator. You may need to change the oil a couple of times to get out most of the sludge that include a new filter each time till the oil run's and isn't chunky/sludgy?? Good luck...sounds like the engine should have been removed and boiled and rebuilt but then again you may get it to run OK.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 11-19-2004, 03:42 PM

I gotta agree w/ Tazz.... As far the white smoke, can you pinpoint were it is? It may be just alittle oil 'Burn-off' (if its on the headers or block).

Stroke

May look into some Lucas Oil Product, that may clean some stuff up if its clogged (or you can always run it done to the local Lube and get them to do a flush. Should be inexpensive).

Stroke

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.