New gal from sunny South Florida. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 10:12 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

New gal from sunny South Florida.

Hey all! I'm Christy from Palm Beach Gardens, FL. I have 2 cars: 1 old, 1 new lol. The new is a 2013 Mustang GT. It's fun, but my other child is my 1953 Ford Mainline. She needs work and I have lots of plans, but here is how she sits as of now:

I've changed the blankets to a more subtle black/grey/light pink style ... they hide the factory seats that are...well... in rough shape.

The flat black is going bye bye as well as the grille and probably the bumpers. The interior will obviously be redone as well.

Hope to have fun here and learn a thing or two (or more).

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Welcome aboard Christy...love the car...and I kinda like the grill as well, what are you planning on replacing it with?

Lots of good information here and I'm sure you'll learn a lot. If you need any information on paint and body, let me know, I'll help anyway I can.

Best Regards
Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
vixen (01-04-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 10:38 AM

Last photo:

The plan now is to round the hood corners, smooth out the indent from the stock grille below the headlights and fill in some of the grille space and then do a floating bar of some sort. Also want to find new bumpers or a different style of bumper and bring them in closer to the body as well. These are pretty bent up and I think are beyond repair. I tried stripping the paint off and they are pretty pitted/rusty underneath. Guess that's why they painted them lol.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:44 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I gotta tell you...and it's only my opinion...it may not be worth much....it's your car...but, I really like that grill. It gives it an aggressive look, but than again I can't see what you've got pictured for the replacement grill. You seem to have an excellent platform to start, anything changing in the engine compartment? What type of color change are you looking at?

Still love the looks of that grill...LOL

Ray
Old 01-04-2013, 10:58 AM

Last photo:

Lol wanna buy it? :p

I want to do something similar to this, but maybe shorter with a slimmer bar and bigger ends.

As for the color, the plan is matte white

And the motor... Not sure. It runs great and I don't plan on keeping the car forever. I want to get an early 50s Cadillac.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:28 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

An early '50s Cadillac would be nice- for the engine to put in the Ford! lol

Chop the top and fall in love w/it all over again.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:47 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

OK, I see what you mean...still like the retro look of the grill that you have...Now, I am a Cadillac fan...and Cobalt327...good plan, best of both worlds.

How about a nicely cleaned up, done up flat head, that with that beautiful grill you have would be perfect...LOL...sorry, love that grill.

Ray
Old 01-04-2013, 12:42 PM

Keep the grille

I'm with Ray, I wish you would re-think the grille. I think it looks great on this car, for what it is worth.

Greg
Old 01-04-2013, 12:58 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Thanks Greg, you must have a good eye for design....LOL....So Christy.....can we change your mind? That grill does make that car....once we have your mind changed, lets work on color....OK, I'm overstepping my bounds here, it's your car and it should be what you want and will enjoy...just trying to help you enjoy it more....Yes I am an opinionated SOB but, seriously it is your car and what you want is what you should do to it.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, if you need any help or information when it comes to paint and body, I'd be happy to lend a hand.

Wishing only the best.
Ray
Old 01-04-2013, 01:16 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,128 Times in 1,001 Posts
I have to disagree with the other guys, go with the floating bar, the Buick grille just doesn't fit that car at all in my opinion. You sound like you have a very good eye and plans sound great. And here is another though, you mention "not owning it forever" so maybe selling it now and getting that Cad makes the most sense. Work on what you have passion for.

And WELCOME!

Brian
Old 01-04-2013, 01:24 PM

Last photo:

LOL yeah I'm with MARTINSR, I just don't like the way the Buick grille fits in it. May photograph ok but in person it looks like someone literally just stuck it on there.

Also, The Cad I want is much more expensive than the 53 lol and in the last year and a half I've purchased a new house, a new car and this 53 so funds are tight for a bit. I also want to use the 53 as a learning curve. I got the car at a GREAT price and I figure it's an easy one to start on and enjoy for now. I will look into Caddies in a year or so when I've saved up more cash to get what I want. It's not that I have no passion or love for the 53 and if I could own both I would (I'm a Ford gal actually lol).
Old 01-04-2013, 01:24 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

OK Brian...I just thanked you for a useful post on another thread....don't make me take it away....LOL...I love that grill. I do agree that the Christy does have a good eye, both grills look good, I happen to like the one she's got, for that body style I love that retro look, but it's all a matter of preference and as I mentioned whatever makes here enjoy the vehicle is what she should do.

Ray
Old 01-04-2013, 01:32 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixen View Post
LOL yeah I'm with MARTINSR, I just don't like the way the Buick grille fits in it. May photograph ok but in person it looks like someone literally just stuck it on there.

Also, The Cad I want is much more expensive than the 53 lol and in the last year and a half I've purchased a new house, a new car and this 53 so funds are tight for a bit. I also want to use the 53 as a learning curve. I got the car at a GREAT price and I figure it's an easy one to start on and enjoy for now. I will look into Caddies in a year or so when I've saved up more cash to get what I want. It's not that I have no passion or love for the 53 and if I could own both I would (I'm a Ford gal actually lol).
You've got a great starting point to learn from, maybe it's the the way the grill was installed in your 53, but as you said, it photographs OK, which means to me that if it was installed properly it may look good from closer than 20 feet...the grill, and it doesn't matter what style you choose is a focal point on that car and the way it's installed can make a big difference...I know that pictures, when taken at certain angles, can hide a multitude of sins, if somebody just stuck a floating bar in the grill space and it looked good at 20 feet and I saw a picture of your 53 with the Buick grill...I'd choose the Buick grill.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:08 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,128 Times in 1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
OK Brian...I just thanked you for a useful post on another thread....don't make me take it away....LOL...I love that grill. I do agree that the Christy does have a good eye, both grills look good, I happen to like the one she's got, for that body style I love that retro look, but it's all a matter of preference and as I mentioned whatever makes here enjoy the vehicle is what she should do.

Ray
My problem with it (I LOVE the Buick grilles) in this car is that the front of the car has so many horizontal lines, the car that came from and the custom that it fits in well has some arched curves to it that matches the grille.

Brian
Old 01-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

OK Brian...I understand what your saying and you are making sense...and I'm looking at pictures....and I've never built a late 40's early 50's Ford or Merc. The closest I've come is doing a custom paint job on a 51 Mercury convertible. I would love to see more detailed pictures of the grill face on. What about recessing the grill back into the opening a bit more?

To me it's got that early 60's sinister hot-rod retro look.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« Greetings | intro »