New Gas Mig Welder - I Have A Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2007, 09:13 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

New Gas Mig Welder - I Have A Question

Hey guys,

I am just opening up my new Lincoln Electric Mig Welder - Weld-Pac 100. I am new to welding and have a quick question. I am using gas and was wondering what wire I will be using mostly on my restos and around the house, is it .025 or .035? I was told that .035 would be used mostly and that .025 is used mainly on sheet metal. Which is correct.

Like I said I am new to this so any and all suggestions you have on getting started would be great.

Thanks,
Jim

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2007, 09:29 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Jim,

I use .025 on Sheet Metal-I like the Lincoln Wire, although there are those here who like the Harris Twenty Gauge-

http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/
Old 01-29-2007, 09:55 AM

jim,

.35 would work on most all jobs. i assume you are using a one pound spool.

gas in bottle should be 75% argon, 25% ox.

pure argon for stainless wire.

brass tip in gun should be next larger size. this helps with burnback, or you'll just be wasting tips.

not familiar with .25 size as it use only .32,.35. never have patience to change for each job.

spot weld by just holding horizontal to material. 3/8 inch up and hit trigger for split second. may have this shield in kit, but never used it. see above.

take a scrap piece of metal, clean, no rust. mig and rust a no no...hold gun to ear and press trigger slightly. you should hear the gas but not enough to acutally feel it.. (this should bring out the joksters)

this purges the air in line and now working with the argon tank.

hold gun about 22 degrees and PUSH the weld holding the tip about an inch from the metal. NOW...with the free hand, turn your feed per inch knob up and down. you will notice you are now welding by EAR. you will go from sputter to a high pitch, smooth sound. you are there.

you can usually weld up to about 3/8 metal, with .35. above that switch to a regular buz box and stick weld it.

spools at harbor freight are ok. some marked SHIELDED. this is a NO gas wire and usually heavier. leaves slag to clean.

u will find the limits to the size machine you purchased. guaranteed in three months, as in cycles, V8s, and hand guns, you will wish you got a larger one...

Pluses on mig: monkeys can do it, but the fur is a fire hazard.
clean and pretty
impresses your brother in law

Minuses: use only in no draft areas, gas blows away
not much good in overhead welding
heat and burn capabilities are HIGHER than stick welding...

trust me...these guys on tv welding with no gloves or helmet are ok just for tacking stuff.....

weld something with a mig of any size for about four minutes and forget to cover your....

neck...that little indent above your t shirt at throut
legs....that space between your socks and bottom of pants
when kneeling
dog.....yes, they just sit and watch..eyes get flashed just like
like your brother in law, but the dog doesn't know
better..

ok I'm done...good luck and it ya got the bucks...buy a self darking style helmet...great for mig, lousy for stick...

MAC
Old 01-29-2007, 10:09 AM

Last photo:

I use mostly 0.25. great for light tubing and sheet. Good for exhaust also. I use 0.35 on one of my larger machines for frame and chassis work. I think you will find it easier to run 0.25 to start. It works in well even if you are not really tunned in on wire speed and amps. The welding supply truck stops by here every week, and the delivery guy says that me and the exhaust shop are the only ones using 0.25. One of the welders who used to work for me was dead set against 0.25 until he tried it.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:39 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

If you go by the chart inside the door for setting up your machine you will well ahead of the curve..I have owned one of those welders for over 10 years and it has served me well for what I do at home..

I keep some 0.25 and I also have a roll of flux core for some of the heavier kinds of jobs..

Each size and type of wire as well as the process chosen for a particular task has a place in welding..

Sam
Old 01-29-2007, 11:48 AM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

No Biggie ,, but I think it is 0.23, and 0.30, and 0.35,,,I use the 23 for thin sheet and the 30 for up to 3/8" don't use much of the 35,,,, I had one of those weldpack welders,, and it works great for sheetmetal,, is it a 120 volt or 230 volt?
You can also get aluminum in the spool , need to use 100% argon with aluminum also
Old 01-29-2007, 01:25 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Rat
No Biggie ,, but I think it is 0.23, and 0.30, and 0.35,,,I use the 23 for thin sheet and the 30 for up to 3/8" don't use much of the 35,,,, I had one of those weldpack welders,, and it works great for sheetmetal,, is it a 120 volt or 230 volt?
You can also get aluminum in the spool , need to use 100% argon with aluminum also
You are right about 0.23 They make both (23-25) depending on the wire manufacturer. I have run both and they are basically the same.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.