Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - New gas sending unit not working?
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 10:34 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

New gas sending unit not working?

Working on a 1930 street rod 350 engine with "Tanks" U2-SS gas tank in the trunk. Previously the car had a floatless sending unit in the gas tank. It worked fine for about 10 months then went bad. The wiring for the floatless sending unit consisted of 2 grounds, 1 wire from the gas gauge, and 1 hot wire from the fuse panel, total of 4 wires. Gas gauge and wire is new.

We have decided to replace this with a universal "old style" sending unit with a float, model number SN-35. This is a brand new sender and there are no directions telling you how to wire it up. The top of the SN-35 unit only has two terminals. I connected the wire from the gas gauge to the center terminal (goes to reostat), and a ground wire to the other terminal on the mounting flange. I have the sending unit out of the tank and with the ignition switch in the on position, I am moving the float up and down but I am not getting any reaction on the gas gauge at all.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?